These authors contributed equally to this work.
Auxin response factor (OsARF12), a novel regulator for phosphate homeostasis in rice (Oryza sativa)
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 91–103, January 2014
How to Cite
Wang, S., Zhang, S., Sun, C., Xu, Y., Chen, Y., Yu, C., Qian, Q., Jiang, D.-A. and Qi, Y. (2014), Auxin response factor (OsARF12), a novel regulator for phosphate homeostasis in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist, 201: 91–103. doi: 10.1111/nph.12499
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUL 2013
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31071392, 31171462, 31271692
- National Science and Technology Support Plan. Grant Number: 2012BAC09B01
- Distinguished Young Scholars of ZheJiang Province, China. Grant Number: LR13C130002
- 1991. Acid phosphatase-1, a tightly linked molecular marker or root-knot nematode resistance in tomato: from protein to gene, using PCR and degenerate primers containing deoxyinosine. Plant Molecular Biology 16: 647–661. , , , , , .
- 2009. Two rice phosphate transporters, OsPht1;2 and OsPht1;6, have different functions and kinetic properties in uptake and translocation. Plant Journal 57: 798–809. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. pho2, a phosphate overaccumulator, is caused by a nonsense mutation in a microRNA399 target gene. Plant Physiology 141: 1000–1011. , , , , , .
- 2006. PHO2, microRNA399, and PHR1 define a phosphate-signaling pathway in plants. Plant Physiology 141: 988–999. , , , .
- 2012. Distinctive expression patterns and roles of the miRNA393/TIR1 homolog module in regulating flag leaf inclination and primary and crown root growth in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist 196: 149–161. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential synthesis of phosphate-starvation inducible purple acid phosphatase isozymes in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) suspension cells and seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 303–313. , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2011. OsPHF1 regulates the plasma membrane localization of low- and high-affinity inorganic phosphate transporters and determines inorganic phosphate uptake and translocation in rice. Plant Physiology 157: 269–278. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of phosphate homeostasis by microRNA in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 412–421. , , , , , .
- 2012. OsMYB2P-1, an R2R3 MYB responses and root architecture in rice. Plant Physiology 159: 169–183. , , , .
- 1995. Characterisation of a phosphate-accumulator mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 107: 207–213. , .
- 1994. The role of acid phosphatases in plant phosphorus metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 791–800. , , .
- 2007. Target mimicry provides a new mechanism for regulation of microRNA activity. Nature Genetics 39: 1033–1037. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. The protein kinase Pstol1 from traditional rice confers tolerance of phosphorus deficiency. Nature 488: 535–539. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. PHOSPHATE TRANSPORTER TRAFFIC FACILITATOR1 is a plant-specific SEC12-related protein that enables the endoplasmic reticulum exit of a high-affinity phosphate transporter in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 3500–3512. , , , , .
- 2001. Auxin response factors: recent advances in auxin biology. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 10: 281–291. , .
- 2007. Auxin response factors. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 453–460. , .
- 1998. The ARF family of transcription factors and their role in plant hormone-responsive transcription. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 54: 619–627. , , .
- 2005. Regulation of the expression of OsIPS1 and OsIPS2 in rice via systemic and local Pi signalling and hormones. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 353–364. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. LEAF TIP NECROSIS1 plays a pivotal role in the regulation of multiple phosphate starvation responses in rice. Plant Physiology 156: 1101–1115. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Assaying chimeric genes in plants: the GUS gene fusion system. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 5: 387–405. .
- 2011. The phosphate transporter gene OsPht1;8 is involved in phosphate homeostasis in rice. Plant Physiology 156: 1164–1175. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulated expression of Arabidopsis phosphate transporters. Plant Physiology 130: 221–233. , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification and validation of rice reference proteins for western blotting. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4763–4772. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Phosphate starvation of maize inhibits lateral root formation and alters gene expression in the lateral root primordium zone. BMC Plant Biology 12: 89. , , , , , .
- 2010. Complex regulation of two target genes encoding SPX-MFS proteins by rice miR827 in response to phosphate starvation. Plant & Cell Physiology 51: 2119–2131. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. OsSPX1 suppresses the function of OsPHR2 in the regulation of expression of OsPT2 and phosphate homeostasis in shoots of rice. Plant Journal 62: 508–517. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Four AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR genes downregulated by microRNA167 are associated with growth and development in Oryza sativa. Functional Plant Biology 39: 738–744. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cloning and characterization of two phosphate transporters from Medicago truncatula roots: regulation in response to phosphate and to colonization by arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 11: 14–22. , , , .
- 2005. An auxin transport independent pathway is involved in phosphate stress-induced root architectural alterations in Arabidopsis. Identification of BIG as a mediator of auxin in pericycle cell activation. Plant Physiology 137: 681–691. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Root phenes for enhanced soil exploration and phosphorus acquisition: tools for future crops. Plant Physiology 156: 1041–1049. .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation and functional properties of Arabidopsis Pht1;4, a high affinity transporter contributing greatly to phosphate uptake in phosphate deprived plants. Plant Molecular Biology 55: 727–741. , , , , .
- 2011. SIZ1 regulation of phosphate starvation-induced root architecture remodeling involves the control of auxin accumulation. Plant Physiology 155: 1000–1012. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SIZ1 controls phosphate deficiency responses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 7760–7765. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A role for auxin redistribution in the responses of the root system architecture to phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 2061–2074. , , , , , , .
- 2008. MicroRNA399 is a long-distance signal for the regulation of plant phosphate homeostasis. Plant Journal 53: 731–738. , , , .
- 2008. Phosphate availability alters lateral root development in Arabidopsis by modulating auxin sensitivity via a mechanism involving the TIR1 auxin receptor. Plant Cell 20: 3258–3272. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A type 5 acid phosphatase gene from Arabidopsis thaliana is induced by phosphate starvation and by some other types of phosphate mobilising/oxidative stress conditions. Plant Journal 19: 579–589. , , , , , , .
- 2012. OsARF12, a transcription activator on auxin response gene, regulates root elongation and affects iron accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist 193: 109–120. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A conserved MYB transcription factor involved in phosphate starvation signaling both in vascular plants and in unicellular algae. Genes Development 15: 2122–2133. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Phosphate starvation induces a determinate developmental program in the roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant & Cell Physiology 46: 174–184. , , , , , , .
- 2012. OsARF16, a transcription factor, is required for auxin and phosphate starvation response in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 607–620. , , , , , , .
- 2012. A constitutive expressed phosphate transporter, OsPht1;1, modulates phosphate uptake and translocation in phosphate-replete rice. Plant Physiology 159: 1571–1581. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Overexpression of OsPAP10a, a root-associated acid phosphatase, increased extracellular organic phosphorus utilization in rice. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 54: 631–639. , , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphatase under-producer mutants have altered phosphorus relations. Plant Physiology 135: 334–345. , , , , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis mutant missing one acid phosphatase isoform. Planta 206: 544–550. , .
- 1997. Aux/IAA proteins repress expression of reporter genes containing natural and highly active synthetic auxin response elements. Plant Cell 9: 1963–1971. , , , .
- 2012. Functional characterization of the rice SPX-MFS family reveals a key role of OsSPX-MFS1 in controlling phosphate homeostasis in leaves. New Phytologist 196: 139–148. , , , , , , , .
- 2009a. Involvement of OsSPX1 in phosphate homeostasis in rice. Plant Journal 57: 895–904. , , , , , .
- 2007. Genome-wide analysis of the auxin response factor (ARF) gene family in rice (Oryza sativa). Gene 394: 13–24. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Auxin-related gene families in abiotic stress response in Sorghum bicolor. Functional & Integrative Genomics 10: 533–546. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Regulation of OsSPX1 and OsSPX3 on expression of OsSPX domain genes and Pi-starvation signaling in rice. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 51: 663–674. , , , , , .
- 2006. Isolation and characterization of root-specific phosphate transporter promoters from Medicago truncatula. Plant Biology 8: 439–449. , , , , .
- 2012. Overexpression of GbWRKY1 positively regulates the Pi starvation response by alteration of auxin sensitivity in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Reports 31: 2177–2188. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis disrupted in SQD2 encoding sulfolipid synthase is impaired in phosphate-limited growth. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 5732–5737. , , .
- 2009. Physiological and transcriptome analysis of iron and phosphorus interaction in rice seedlings. Plant Physiology 151: 262–274. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. OsPHR2 is involved in phosphate-starvation signaling and excessive phosphate accumulation in shoots of plants. Plant Physiology 146: 1673–1686. , , , , , , , .