Quantitative trait loci × environment interactions for plant morphology vary over ontogeny in Brassica rapa
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 2, pages 657–669, January 2014
How to Cite
Dechaine, J. M., Brock, M. T., Iniguez-Luy, F. L. and Weinig, C. (2014), Quantitative trait loci × environment interactions for plant morphology vary over ontogeny in Brassica rapa. New Phytologist, 201: 657–669. doi: 10.1111/nph.12520
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: IOS-0801102, IOS-0923752
- 1993. Potential for persistence of genes escaped from canola: germination cues in crop, wild, and crop-wild hybrid Brassica rapa. Functional Ecology 7: 736–745. , , , , .
- 2001. Multiple flowering time QTLs within several Brassica species could be the result of duplicated copies of one ancestral gene. Genome 44: 856–864. , , .
- 1991. Levels of organisation and repetition phenomena in seed plants. Acta Biotheoretica 39: 309–323. .
- 1964. An analysis of transformations. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 26: 211–243. , .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13: 115–155. .
- 1996. Development, plasticity and evolution of butterfly eyespot patterns. Nature 384: 236–242. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The regulation of phenotypic plasticity of eyespots in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. The American Naturalist 152: 853–860. , , .
- 2010. Floral genetic architecture: an examination of QTL architecture underlying floral (co)variation across environments. Genetics 186: 1451–1465. , , , , , .
- 2004. Epistatic interaction between Arabidopsis FRI and FLC flowering time genes generates a latitudinal cline in a life history trait. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 15670–15675. , , , , .
- 2001. Impact of epistasis and QTL × environment interaction on the developmental behavior of plant height in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 153–160. , , , , , .
- 1994. Anatomy, growth and survival of a long-hypocotyl mutant of Cucumis sativus deficient in phytochrome B. Annals of Botany 73: 569–575. , , , .
- 1989. The function, action, and adaptive significance of phytochrome in light-grown plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 855–862. , .
- 2003. Changes in the responses to light quality during ontogeny in Chenopodium album. Canadian Journal of Botany 81: 152–163. , .
- 2009. Unconditional and conditional quantitative trait loci mapping for plant height in nonheading chinese cabbage. HortScience 44: 268–273. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 2007. Constraints on the evolution of adaptive plasticity: costs of plasticity to density are expressed in segregating progenies. New Phytologist 176: 874–882. , , , .
- 1994. The expression of andromonoecy in Solanum hirtum (Solanaceae): phenotypic plasticity and ontogenetic contingency. American Journal of Botany 81: 1354–1365. .
- 2010. Ontogenetic change in genetic variance in size depends on growth environment. The American Naturalist 175: 640–649. , , .
- 2003. Setting the stage: phenotypic plasticity as habitat selection. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S79–S92. .
- 2000. Evidence of adaptive divergence in plasticity: density- and site-dependent selection on shade-avoidance responses in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 54: 1956–1968. , , , , .
- 1999. The genetic architecture of plasticity to density in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 53: 1377–1386. , .
- 1991. Genetics of Brassica campestris. 1. Genetic constraints on evolution of life-history characters. Evolution 45: 371–379. , .
- 1995. Genetic differentiation in morphological responses to simulated foliar shade between populations of Impatiens capensis from open and woodland sites. Functional Ecology 9: 655–666. , .
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. The American Naturalist 147: 445–465. , .
- 2011. The quantitative-genetic and QTL architecture of trait integration and modularity in Brassica rapa across simulated seasonal settings. Heredity 106: 661–677. , .
- 2004. Quantitative trait locus analysis and the study of evolutionary processes. Molecular Ecology 13: 2505–2522. , , , .
- 1998. Common principal components and related multivariate models. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 1982. On the adaptive significance of leaf height in forest herbs. The American Naturalist 120: 353–381. .
- 1992. Quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evolution 46: 390–411. , .
- 1998. Genotype–environment interaction at quantitative trait loci affecting sensory bristle number in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 149: 1883–1898. , , , , , .
- 2007. Environmental influence on the genetic correlations between life-history traits in Caenorhabditis elegans. Heredity 98: 206–213. , , , , , .
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. The American Naturalist 174: 116–125. , , , , .
- 2011. Genetic architecture of life history traits and environment-specific trade-offs. Molecular Ecology 20: 4042–4058. , , , .
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci affecting d13C and response to differential water availability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 59: 81–96. , , , , , .
- 2009. Mapping genes for plant structure, development and evolution: functional mapping meets ontology. Trends in Genetics 26: 39–46. , , , , .
- 2006. Ontogenetic trends in the morphological features of main stem annual shoots of Pinus pinaster (Pinaceae). American Journal of Botany 93: 1577–1587. , , , , .
- 1984. Ethnobotany and evolutionary origin of Indian oleiferous Brassicae. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 44: 102–112. , .
- 2009. Development of public immortal mapping populations, molecular markers and linkage maps for rapid cycling Brassica rapa and B. oleracea. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 120: 31–43. , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular analysis of FRIGIDA, a major determinant of natural variation in Arabidopsis flowering time. Science 290: 344–347. , , , , , .
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci mapping of floral and leaf morphology traits in Arabidopsis thaliana: evidence for modular genetic architecture. Evolution & Development 7: 259–271. , , , .
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists, and the maintenance of diversity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15: 173–190. .
- 2007. Delayed flowering time in Arabidopsis and Brassica rapa by the overexpression of FLOWERING LOCUS C (FLC) homologs isolated from Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L. ssp. pekinensis). Plant Cell Reports 26: 327–336. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. A genetic and physiological analysis of late flowering mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular and General Genetics 229: 57–66. .
- 1998. Genetic control of flowering time in Arabidopsis. Annual Reviews of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 345–370. , , , .
- 1994. The phenotype of some late-flowering mutants is enhanced by a locus on chromosome 5 that is not effective in the Landsberg erecta wild-type. Plant Journal 6: 911–919. , , , , .
- 2005. A modular concept of phenotypic plasticity in plants. New Phytologist 166: 73–82. , , , .
- 1988. Assessing the contribution of multiple interacting traits to plant reproductive success: environmental dependence. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 1: 255–273. , .
- 1994. The late-flowering phenotype of FRIGIDA and mutations in LUMINIDEPENDENS is suppressed in the Landsberg erecta strain of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 6: 903–909. , , , .
- 1968. Evolution in changing environments: some theoretical explorations. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1993. The transition to flowering. The Plant Cell 10: 1973–1989. , .
- 1984. Variation strategies of plants in heterogeneous environments. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 21: 357–385. .
- 2007. Quantitative trait loci for flowering time and morphological traits in multiple populations of Brassica rapa. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 4005–4016. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates Inc. , .
- 2009. The genetics of quantitative traits: challenges and prospects. Nature Reviews Genetics 10: 565–577. , , .
- 2003. Comparing G matrices: are common principal components informative? Genetics 165: 411–425. , .
- 2001. Loss of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity eliminates the late-flowering phenotype of FRIGIDA and autonomous pathway mutations but not responsiveness to vernalization. The Plant Cell 13: 935–941. , .
- 2003. Attenuation of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity as a mechanism for the evolution of summer-annual flowering behavior in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 10102–10107. , , , .
- 1996. Pleiotropy causes long-term genetic contraints on life-history evolution in Brassica rapa. Evolution 50: 1849–1858. .
- 2005. Mapping of QTLs for bolting time in Brassica rapa (syn. campestris) under different environmental conditions. Breeding Science 55: 127–133. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Comparison of flowering time genes in Brassica rapa, B. napus and Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 146: 1123–1129. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Nutrient content of Abutilon theophrasti seeds and the competitive ability of the resulting plants. Oecologia 65: 247–251. , .
- 2002. Genetic analysis of natural variations in the architecture of Arabidopsis thaliana vegetative leaves. Genetics 162: 893–915. , , .
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the flury hierarchy. Evolution 53: 1506–1515. , .
- 1997. Ontogenic phenotypic plasticity during the reproductive phase in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 84: 887–895. .
- 1995. Ontogenetic reaction norms in Lobelia siphilitica (Lobeliaceae): response to shading. Ecology 76: 2134–2144. , .
- 1980. Taxonomy, cytogenetics and origin of crop Brassicas, a review. Opera Botanica 55: 1–57. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2007 R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1986. Life history variation in Geranium carolinianum. 1. Covariation between characters at different stages of the life cycle. The American Naturalist 128: 47–57. .
- 1959. The sampling variance of genetic correlations. Biometrics 15: 469–485. .
- 1994. Module and metamer dynamics and virtual plants. Advances in Ecological Research 25: 105–157. , , .
- 2001. SAS software version 8 for Windows. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. .
- 1998. Phenotypic evolution: a reaction norm perspective. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates, Inc. , .
- 1989. Plasticity in Phlox. II. Plasticity of character correlations. Oecologia 78: 496–501. .
- 1949. Factors of evolution. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Blakiston. .
- 1995. A test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis using transgenic and mutant plants disabled in phytochrome-mediated elongation responses to neighbors. The American Naturalist 146: 937–953. , , .
- 2002. Characterization and effects of the replicated flowering time gene FLC in Brassica rapa. Genetics 162: 1457–1468. , , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis, the rosetta stone of flowering time? Science 296: 285–289. , .
- 2000. Phytochromes and light signal perception by plants – an emerging synthesis. Nature 407: 585–591. .
- 1995. Mapping loci controlling vernalization requirement in Brassica rapa. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 91: 1279–1283. , .
- 2002. Quantitative trait loci for inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 160: 1133–1151. , , , , .
- 2003. Genotype–environment interactions at quantitative trait loci affecting inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 353–365. , , , .
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: consensus and controversy. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 212–217. , , , , , .
- 2000. Genotype–environment interaction for quantitative trait loci affecting life span in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 154: 213–227. , , , , , .
- 2007. Windows QTL Cartographer version 2.5. Raleigh, NC, USA: NCSU Statistical Genetics. , , .
- 2000a. Differing selection in alternative competitive environments: shade-avoidance responses and germination timing. Evolution 54: 124–136. .
- 2000b. Plasticity versus canalization: population differences in the timing of shade-avoidance responses. Evolution 54: 441–451. .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity early in life contrains developmental responses later. Evolution 55: 930–936. , .
- 2002. Novel loci control variation in reproductive timing in Arabidosis thaliana in natural environments. Genetics 162: 1875–1884. , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. The plant as a metapopulation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 10: 109–145. .
- 1986. Rapid-cycling populations of Brassica. Science 232: 1385–1389. , .
- 2011. The effect of the floral repressor FLC on the timing and progression of vegetative phase change in Arabidopsis. Development 138: 677–685. , .
- 1996a. Adaptation to fine-grained environmental variation: an analysis of within-individual leaf variation in an annual plant. Evolution 50: 1111–1118. .
- 1996b. The contributions of programmed developmental change and phenotypic plasticity to within-individual variation in leaf traits in Dicerandra linearifolia. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 9: 737–752. .
- 1998. The detection of plasticity genes in heterogenous environments. Evolution 52: 967–977. .
- 2010. Genetic dissection of developmental behaviors of plant height in wheat under diverse water regimes. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2923–2937. , , , .
- 2007. Linkage map construction and quantitative trait loci analysis for bolting based on a double haploid population of Brassica rapa. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 664–671. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A naturally occurring splicing site mutation in the Brasscia rapa FLC1 gene is associated with variation in flowering time. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1299–1308. , , , , , .