Robust anti-oxidant defences in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae confer tolerance to the host oxidative burst
Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 2, pages 556–573, January 2014
How to Cite
Samalova, M., Meyer, A. J., Gurr, S. J. and Fricker, M. D. (2014), Robust anti-oxidant defences in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae confer tolerance to the host oxidative burst. New Phytologist, 201: 556–573. doi: 10.1111/nph.12530
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 JUN 2013
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council. Grant Number: BB/G00207X/1
- 2010. Nox enzymes from fungus to fly to fish and what they tell us about Nox function in mammals. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 49: 1342–1353. , .
- 2005. Reactive oxygen species and development in microbial eukaryotes. Trends in Microbiology 13: 111–118. , , , .
- 1999. Short protocols in molecular biology: a compendium of methods from current protocols in molecular biology. Chichester, UK: John Wiley. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genetically encoded fluorescent indicator for intracellular hydrogen peroxide. Nature Methods 3: 281–286. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Reactive oxygen species and the strategy of antioxidant defense in fungi: a review. Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology 43: 506–515. , .
- 2002. The apoplastic oxidative burst in response to biotic stress in plants: a three-component system. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1367–1376. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A novel pathogenicity gene is required in the rice blast fungus to suppress the basal defenses of the host. PLoS Pathogens 5: e1000401. , , , .
- 2009. Efflux in fungi: la piece de resistance. PLoS Pathogens 5: e1000486. , .
- 1997. Detoxification of xenobiotics by plants: chemical modification and vacuolar compartmentation. Trends in Plant Science 2: 144–151. , , .
- 2002. Utility of cytoplasmic fluorescent proteins for live-cell imaging of Magnaporthe grisea in planta. Mycologia 94: 280–289. , , , , .
- 2007. ROS as signalling molecules: mechanisms that generate specificity in ROS homeostasis. Nature Reviews in Molecular and Cellular Biology 8: 813–824. , .
- 2005. The genome sequence of the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Nature (London) 434: 980–986. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Imaging dynamic redox changes in mammalian cells with green fluorescent protein indicators. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 22284–22293. , , , , , .
- 2008. Genomes, free radicals and plant cell invasion: recent developments in plant pathogenic fungi. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 367–372. , .
- 2007. Generation of reactive oxygen species by fungal NADPH oxidases is required for rice blast disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 11772–11777. , , , , .
- 1995. pBINPLUS: an improved plant transformation vector based on pBIN19. Transgenic Research 4: 288–290. , , , , , .
- 1997. Four-dimensional imaging of living chondrocytes in cartilage using confocal microscopy: a pragmatic approach. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology 41: C1040–C1051. , , , , .
- 2012. Emerging fungal threats to animal, plant and ecosystem health. Nature (London) 484: 186–194. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Measurement of glutathione levels in intact roots of Arabidopsis. Journal of Microscopy 198: 162–173. , , , , .
- 2001. Confocal imaging of metabolism in vivo: pitfalls and possibilities. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 631–640. , .
- 2001. Fluorescent probes for living plant cells. In: Hawes C, Satiat-Jeunemaitre B, eds. Plant cell biology: a practical approach. Oxford, UK: OUP, 35–84. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Role of erythroascorbate and ascorbate in sclerotial differentiation in Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Mycological Research 105: 1364–1370. , .
- 2007. Reactive oxygen species in regulation of fungal development. Biochemistry-Moscow 72: 1091–1109. , , .
- 2006. A P-type ATPase required for rice blast disease and induction of host resistance. Nature (London) 440: 535–539. , , , .
- 2000. The hypersensitive response facilitates plant infection by the necrotrophic pathogen Botrytis cinerea. Current Biology 10: 751–757. , .
- 2011. The bZIP transcription factor MoAP1 mediates the oxidative stress response and is critical for pathogenicity of the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. PLoS Pathogens 7: e1001302. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The basic leucine zipper transcription factor Moatf1 mediates oxidative stress responses and is necessary for full virulence of the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 23: 1053–1068. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Real-time imaging of the intracellular glutathione redox potential. Nature Methods 5: 553–559. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Proximity-based protein thiol oxidation by H2O2-scavenging peroxidases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 284: 31532–31540. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean? British Journal of Pharmacology 142: 231–255. , .
- 1990. Hyperoxidant states cause microbial cell-differentiation by cell isolation from dioxygen. Journal of Theoretical Biology 142: 201–221. , .
- 2004. Investigating mitochondrial redox potential with redox-sensitive green fluorescent protein indicators. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 13044–13053. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Redox-sensitive GFP2: use of the genetically encoded biosensor of the redox status in the filamentous fungus Botrytis cinerea. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 935–947. , , .
- 2011. Reactive oxygen species in phytopathogenic fungi: signaling, development, and disease. Annual Review of Phytopathology 49: 369–390. , .
- 2002. Intracellular pH homeostasis in the filamentous fungus Aspergillus niger. European Journal of Biochemistry 269: 3485–3494. , , , .
- 1991. Penetration of hard substrates by a fungus employing enormous turgor pressures. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 11281–11284. , , , .
- 2011. HYR1-mediated detoxification of reactive oxygen species is required for full virulence in the rice blast fungus. PLoS Pathogens 7: e1001335. , , , , .
- 2007. Trends in leaf photosynthesis in historical rice varieties developed in the Philippines since 1966. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 3429–3438. , , , , .
- 2007. Roles for rice membrane dynamics and plasmodesmata during biotrophic invasion by the blast fungus. Plant Cell 19: 706–724. , , .
- 2009. TmpL, a transmembrane protein required for intracellular redox homeostasis and virulence in a plant and an animal fungal pathogen. Plos Pathogens 5: e1000653. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Glutathione revisited: a vital function in iron metabolism and ancillary role in thiol-redox control. EMBO Journal 30: 2044–2056. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 2007. The Aspergillus fumigatus transcriptional regulator AfYap1 represents the major regulator for defense against reactive oxygen intermediates but is dispensable for pathogenicity in an intranasal mouse infection model. Eukaryotic Cell 6: 2290–2302. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Activation of an AP1-like transcription factor of the maize pathogen Cochliobolus heterostrophus in response to oxidative stress and plant signals. Eukaryotic Cell 4: 443–454. , , , , , .
- 1994. H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell 79: 583–593. , , , .
- 2009. The YAP1 homolog-mediated oxidative stress tolerance is crucial for pathogenicity of the necrotrophic fungus Alternaria alternata in citrus. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 22: 942–952. , , .
- 2011. Cellular responses required for oxidative stress tolerance, colonization, and lesion formation by the necrotrophic fungus Alternaria alternata in citrus. Current Microbiology 62: 807–815. , , .
- 2012. A burst of plant NADPH oxidases. Trends in Plant Science 17: 9–15. , , , .
- 2011. Transcriptome profiling of the rice blast fungus during invasive plant infection and in vitro stresses. BMC Genomics 12: 49. , , , , .
- 1983. Glutathione. Annual Review of Biochemistry 52: 711–760. , .
- 2008. The integration of glutathione homeostasis and redox signaling. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 1390–1403. .
- 2010. Fluorescent protein-based redox probes. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 13: 621–650. , .
- 2000. Direct measurement of glutathione in epidermal cells of intact Arabidopsis roots by two-photon laser scanning microscopy. Journal of Microscopy-Oxford 198: 174–181. , .
- 2002. Control of demand-driven biosynthesis of glutathione in green Arabidopsis suspension culture cells. Plant Physiology 130: 1927–1937. , .
- 2008. Imaging thiol-based redox processes in live cells. In: Hell R, Dahl C, Knaff D, Leustek T, eds. Sulfur metabolism in phototrophic organism. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration, vol 27. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, 483–501. ,
- 2001. Quantitative in vivo measurement of glutathione in Arabidopsis cells. Plant Journal 27: 67–78. , , .
- 2007. An Ustilago maydis gene involved in H2O2 detoxification is required for virulence. Plant Cell 19: 2293–2309. , .
- 1996. Confirmation of a link between fungal pigmentation, turgor pressure, and pathogenicity using a new method of turgor measurement. Fungal Genetics and Biology 20: 217–227. , .
- 2008. Comparison of the thiol-dependent antioxidant systems in the ectomycorrhizal Laccaria bicolor and the saprotrophic Phanerochaete chrysosporium. New Phytologist 180: 391–407. , , , , .
- 2013. Multiple glutathione disulfide removal pathways mediate cytosolic redox homeostasis. Nature Chemical Biology 9: 119–125. , , , , , .
- 2011. Measuring EGSH and H2O2 with roGFP2-based redox probes. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 51: 1943–1951. , , .
- 2008. The hypersensitive response; the centenary is upon us but how much do we know? Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 501–520. , , , , .
- 2012. Glutathione in plants: an integrated overview. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 454–484. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transcriptome analysis reveals new insight into appressorium formation and function in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. Genome Biology 9: R85. , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics 9: 62–66. .
- 2009. Metabolomic analysis reveals a common pattern of metabolic re-programming during invasion of three host plant species by Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Journal 59: 723–737. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Pronounced cytoplasmic pH gradients are not required for tip growth in plant and fungal cells. Journal of Cell Science 110: 1187–1198. , , , , , , .
- 2012a. Mitochondrial beta-oxidation regulates organellar integrity and is necessary for conidial germination and invasive growth in Magnaporthe oryzae. Molecular Microbiology 86: 1345–1363. , , , , .
- 2012b. Abc3-mediated efflux of an endogenous digoxin-like steroidal glycoside by Magnaporthe oryzae is necessary for host invasion during blast disease. PLoS Pathogens 8: e1002888. , , , , .
- 2004. Determination of the thiol redox state of organisms: new oxidative stress indicators. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 378: 1783–1792. , .
- 2012. MoSwi6, an APSES family transcription factor, interacts with MoMps1 and is required for hyphal and conidial morphogenesis, appressorial function and pathogenicity of Magnaporthe oryzae. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 677–689. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Methods for detection and measurement of hydrogen peroxide inside and outside of cells. Molecules and Cells 29: 539–549. , , , .
- 2013. NADPH oxidases regulate septin-mediated cytoskeletal remodeling during plant infection by the rice blast fungus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 110: 3179–3184. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Nitric oxide generated by the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae drives plant infection. New Phytologist 197: 207–222. , , , , , .
- 2011. Regulation of autophagy by ROS: physiology and pathology. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 36: 30–38. , .
- 2013. Mitochondrial energy and redox signaling in plants. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 18: 2122–2144. , .
- 2008. Confocal imaging of glutathione redox potential in living plant cells. Journal of Microscopy 231: 299–316. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of reactive oxygen species in fungal cellular differentiations. Current Opinion in Microbiology 11: 488–493. , .
- 2008. Roles of reactive oxygen species in interactions between plants and pathogens. European Journal of Plant Pathology 121: 267–280. , , , , .
- 2007. A novel role for catalase B in the maintenance of fungal cell-wall integrity during host invasion in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 568–580. , , , , .
- 2004. Woronin body function in Magnaporthe grisea is essential for efficient pathogenesis and for survival during nitrogen starvation stress. Plant Cell 16: 1564–1574. , , , , , .
- 2006. A multidrug resistance transporter in Magnaporthe is required for host penetration and for survival during oxidative stress. Plant Cell 18: 3686–3705. , , , .
- 2007. NADPH oxidases in fungi: diverse roles of reactive oxygen species in fungal cellular differentiation. Fungal Genetics and Biology 44: 1065–1076. , , .
- 1993. Identification and characterization of MGP1, a gene involved in pathogenicity from the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Cell 5: 1575–1590. , , .
- 2009. The emerging role of autophagy in plant pathogen attack and host defence. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 444–450. , .
- 2011. The role of catalase-peroxidase secreted by Magnaporthe oryzae during early infection of rice cells. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 24: 163–171. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of catalase on the accumulation of H2O2 in rice cells inoculated with rice blast fungus, Magnaporthe oryzae. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 148–154. , , .
- 2009. Does Botrytis cinerea ignore H2O2-induced oxidative stress during infection? Characterization of Botrytis Activator Protein 1. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 22: 987–998. , .
- 2000. MAP kinase and protein kinase A-dependent mobilization of triacylglycerol and glycogen during appressorium turgor generation by Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Cell 12: 1703–1718. , , .
- 2011. Of PAMPs and effectors: the blurred PTI–ETI dichotomy. Plant Cell 23: 4–15. , , .
- 2013. Functions and cellular compartmentation of the thioredoxin and glutathione pathways in yeast. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 18: 1699–1711. , , , .
- 2010. ROS in biotic interactions. Physiologia Plantarum 138: 414–429. .
- 2012. Reactive oxygen species generation in fungal development and pathogenesis. Current Opinion in Microbiology 15: 653–659. , , .
- 1999. An ATP-driven efflux pump is a novel pathogenicity factor in rice blast disease. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 18: 512–521. , , .
- 2010. Recent advances in rice blast effector research. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 434–441. , .
- 2006. Autophagic fungal cell death is necessary for infection by the rice blast fungus. Science 312: 580–583. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional analysis of lipid metabolism in Magnaporthe grisea reveals a requirement for peroxisomal fatty acid beta-oxidation during appressorium-mediated plant infection. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 475–491. , , , .
- 1996. Aberration control in quantitative imaging of botanical specimens by multidimensional fluorescence microscopy. Journal of Microscopy 181: 99–116. , , , .
- 2009. Under pressure: investigating the biology of plant infection by Magnaporthe oryzae. Nature Reviews Microbiology 7: 185–195. , .
- 2008. Reconciling the chemistry and biology of reactive oxygen species. Nature Chemical Biology 4: 278–286. .
- 2008. Thiol chemistry and specificity in redox signaling. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 45: 549–561. , .
- 2009. Microsensor in vivo monitoring of oxidative burst in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) leaves infected by Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. Analytica Chimica Acta 632: 21–25. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Coordinate control of oxidative stress tolerance, vegetative growth, and fungal pathogenicity via the AP1 pathway in the rough lemon pathotype of Alternaria alternata. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 74: 100–110. , , .
- 2009. Molecular mechanisms of generation for nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species, and role of the radical burst in plant immunity. Molecules and Cells 28: 321–329. , , , .