Does a decade of elevated [CO2] affect a desert perennial plant community?
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 2, pages 498–504, January 2014
How to Cite
Newingham, B. A., Vanier, C. H., Kelly, L. J., Charlet, T. N. and Smith, S. D. (2014), Does a decade of elevated [CO2] affect a desert perennial plant community?. New Phytologist, 201: 498–504. doi: 10.1111/nph.12546
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUN 2013
- US Department of Energy Office of Science. Grant Number: DE-FG02-03ER63651
- National Science Foundation Ecosystem Studies Program. Grant Number: DEB-0212812
- 2005. What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy properties and plant production to rising CO2. New Phytologist 165: 351–372. , .
- 1993. Facing the inevitable: plants and increasing atmospheric CO2. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 309–332. .
- 2007. Ecosystem assembly and terrestrial carbon balance under elevated CO2. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 538–547. , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 2012. Weed interference with field-grown soyabean decreases under elevated [CO2] in a FACE experiment. Weed Research 52: 277–285. , .
- 2011. Growth and community responses of alpine dwarf shrubs to in situ CO2 enrichment and soil warming. New Phytologist 191: 806–818. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Transitory effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on fine root dynamics in an arid ecosystem do not increase long-term soil carbon input from fine root litter. New Phytologist 190: 953–967. , .
- 2002. Interactive effects of diversity, nutrients and elevated CO2 on experimental plant communities. Oikos 97: 337–348. , , .
- 2006. Increases in desert shrub productivity under elevated carbon dioxide vary with water availability. Ecosystems 9: 374–385. , , , , , .
- 2003. Functional ecology of shrub seedlings after a natural recruitment event at the Nevada Desert FACE Facility. Global Change Biology 9: 718–728. , , , .
- 2005. Net ecosystem CO2 exchange in Mojave Desert shrublands during the eighth year of exposure to elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 11: 749–756. , , .
- 1999. Biotic, abiotic and performance aspects of the Nevada Desert Free-Air CO2 enrichment (FACE) facility. Global Change Biology 5: 659–668. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Entropy and diversity. Oikos 113: 363–375. .
- 2005. Global patterns of plant diversity and floristic knowledge. Journal of Biogeography 32: 1107–1116. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Perennial plant mortality in the Sonoran and Mojave deserts in response to severe, multi-year drought. Journal of Arid Environments 74: 885–896. , .
- 1993. Global climate change and terrestrial net primary production. Nature 363: 234–240. , , , , , .
- 2007. Episodic death across species of desert shrubs. Ecology 88: 32–36. , , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C3 and C4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biology 7: 451–466. , , , .
- 2007. Carbon dioxide enrichment alters plant community structure and accelerates shrub growth in the shortgrass steppe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 14724–14729. , , , , .
- 2004a. CO2 enhances productivity, alters species composition, and reduces digestibility of shortgrass steppe vegetation. Ecological Applications 14: 208–219. , , , , , .
- 2004b. Water relations in grassland and desert ecosystems exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2. Oecologia 140: 11–25. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Photosynthetic responses of Mojave Desert shrubs to free air CO2 enrichment are greatest during wet years. Global Change Biology 9: 276–285. , , , , , .
- 1995. The influence of elevated CO2 on community structure, biomass and carbon balance of mediterranean old-fleld microcosms. Global Change Biology 1: 325–335. , , , .
- 2013. No cumulative effect of 10 years of elevated [CO2] on perennial plant biomass components in the Mojave Desert. Global Change Biology 19: 2168–2181. , , , , , .
- 2001. A long-term field study on biodiversity x elevated CO2 interactions in grassland. Ecological Monographs 71: 341–356. , , , .
- 2004. Synthesis of a six-year study of calcareous grassland responses to in situ CO2 enrichment. Ecological Monographs 74: 491–511. , .
- 1998. Soil moisture dynamics of calcareous grassland under elevated CO2. Oecologia 117: 201–208. , , .
- 2001. Leaf conductance decreased under free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) for three perennials in the Nevada desert. New Phytologist 150: 449–458. , , , , , , .
- 2004a. Functional responses of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2 – do photosynthetic and productivity data from FACE experiments support early predictions? New Phytologist 162: 253–280. , , .
- 2004b. Elevated atmospheric CO2 does not conserve soil water in the Mojave Desert. Ecology 85: 93–99. , , , , , , .
- 2012. CO2-caused change in plant species composition rivals the shift in vegetation between mid-grass and tallgrass prairies. Global Change Biology 18: 700–710. , , .
- 2003. Plant growth and competition at elevated CO2: on winners, losers and functional groups. New Phytologist 157: 175–198. , .
- 2005. Carbon dioxide regime, species identity and influence of species initial abundance as determinants of change in stand biomass composition in five-species communities: an investigation using a simplex design and RGRD analysis. Journal of Ecology 93: 502–511. , , .
- 2001. Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 435–448. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Model projections of an imminent transition to a more arid climate in southwestern North America. Science 316: 1181–1184. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Modern and future semi-arid and arid ecosystems. In: Ehleringer JR, Denise DM, Cerling TE, eds. A history of atmospheric CO2 and its effects on plants, animals, and ecosystems. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 415–440. , ,
- 2013. Long-term response of a Mojave Desert winter annual plant community to a whole-ecosystem atmospheric CO2 manipulation. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/GCB.12411 , , , , , .
- 2000. Elevated CO2 increases productivity and invasive species success in an arid ecosystem. Nature 408: 79–82. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Additive effects of simulated climate changes, elevated CO2, and nitrogen deposition on grassland diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 7650–7654. , , , , .