Direct estimation of mass flow and diffusion of nitrogen compounds in solution and soil
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 1056–1064, February 2014
How to Cite
Oyewole, O. A., Inselsbacher, E. and Näsholm, T. (2014), Direct estimation of mass flow and diffusion of nitrogen compounds in solution and soil. New Phytologist, 201: 1056–1064. doi: 10.1111/nph.12553
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUL 2013
- Kempe foundation
- 2005. Amino acids, total organic and inorganic nitrogen in forest floor soil solution at low and high nitrogen input. Water, Air & Soil Pollution 162: 369–384. , .
- 1995. Nutrient uptake by plant roots growing in soil. In: Barber SA, ed. Soil nutrient bioavailability: a mechanistic approach. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 85–109. .
- 2008. Control of plant nitrogen uptake in native ecosystems by rhizospheric processes. In: Bruulsema T, Ma L, Ahuja LR, eds. Quantifying and understanding plant nitrogen uptake for systems modeling. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 71–93. , , .
- 2003. Optimization of dextran production by Leuconostoc mesenteroides NRRL B-512 using cheap and local sources of carbohydrate and nitrogen. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry 38: 267–269. , , .
- 1990. Steady-state theory for quantitative microdialysis of solutes and water in vivo and in vitro. Life Sciences 46: 105–119. , , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 2011. Principles of terrestrial ecosystem ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1985. Factors affecting mineral nutrient acquisition by plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 36: 77–115. .
- 2005. Soil factors affecting nutrient bioavailability. In: BassiriRad H, ed. Nutrient acquisition by plants an ecological perspective. Ecological studies, vol. 181. Berlin-Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 1–14. .
- 1993. Nitrogen nutrition of C3 plants at elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 570–576. , .
- 1992. Influence of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations on plant nutrition. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 445–456. .
- 2009. The importance of nutritional regulation of plant water flux. Oecologia 161: 15–24. , , .
- 2008. Nutrient availability moderates transpiration in Ehrharta calycina. New Phytologist 179: 1048–1057. , , .
- FAO. 1998. World reference base for soil resources. World soil resources report. Rome, Italy: FAO.
- 2007. Dynamic changes in root hydraulic properties in response to nitrate availability. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2409–2415. , , , .
- 2008. Nitrate control of root hydraulic properties in plants: translating local information to whole plant response. Plant Physiology 148: 1159–1167. , , , .
- 2010. Alternative methods for measuring inorganic, organic and total dissolved nitrogen in soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74: 1018–1027. , , , , .
- 2012a. The below-ground perspective of forest plants: soil provides mainly organic nitrogen for plants and mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 195: 329–334. , .
- 2012b. A novel method to measure the effect of temperature on diffusion of plant-available nitrogen in soil. Plant and Soil 354: 251–257. , .
- 2011. The potential of microdialysis to monitor organic and inorganic nitrogen compounds in soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 1321–1332. , , , , .
- 1997. Ion diffusion in the soil-root system. Advances in Agronomy 61: 53–110. , .
- 2008. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 2003. Physiological plant ecology, 4th edn. Heidelberg-Berlin, Germany: Springer. .
- 1997. A model of nitrogen uptake by Eriophorum vaginatum roots in the field: ecological implications. Ecological Monographs 67: 1–22. , , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. London, UK: Academic Press Limited. .
- 2002. Can decreased transpiration limit plant nitrogen acquisition in elevated CO2? Functional Plant Biology 29: 1115–1120. , , .
- 2013. Reduction of transpiration and altered nutrient allocation contribute to nutrient decline of crops grown in elevated CO2 concentrations. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 697–705. , .
- 1983. A guide to establishing water potential of aqueous 2-phase solutions (polyethylene-glycol plus dextran) by amendment with mannitol. Plant Physiology 72: 60–65. , , .
- 2001. A rapid, simple spectrophotometric method for simultaneous detection of nitrate and nitrite. Nitric Oxide-Biology and Chemistry 5: 62–71. , , .
- 2004. Implantable flow-through capillary-type microdialyzers for continuous in situ monitoring of environmentally relevant parameters. Analytical Chemistry 76: 5974–5981. , .
- 2005. The potential of microdialysis as an automatic sample-processing technique for environmental research. TRAC-Trends in Analytical Chemistry 24: 324–333. , .
- 2009. Recent trends in microdialysis sampling integrated with conventional and microanalytical systems for monitoring biological events: a review. Analytica Chimica Acta 651: 1–14. , .
- 1977. Rate-limiting step in plant nutrient absorption from soil. Soil Science 123: 292–297. .
- 1969. A theoretical study of distribution of substances around roots resulting from simultaneous diffusion and mass flow. Plant and Soil 30: 459–472. , .
- 1977. Solute movement in the soil-root system. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. , .
- 2003. Nitrogen supply through transpiration mass flow can limit nitrogen nutrition of plants. Plant, Soil and Environment 49: 473–479. .
- 2008. Transpiration: how many functions? New Phytologist 179: 905–907. .
- 1992. A comparison of ammonium and nitrate as nitrogen-sources for photolithotrophs. New Phytologist 121: 19–32. , , .
- 1986. Limits to nutrient inflow rates in roots and root systems. Physiologia Plantarum 68: 551–559. .
- 2000. A microdialysis method for the in situ investigation of the action of large peptide molecules in human skeletal muscle: detection of local metabolic effects of insulin. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 28: 69–73. , , , .
- 2000. Soil solution and other soil analyses as indicators of nutrient supply: a review. Forest Ecology and Management 138: 397–411. .
- 1989. Nitrogen supply to cereals and sugar beet by mass flow and diffusion on a silty loam soil. Zeitschrift fuer Pflanzenernährung und Bodenkunde 152: 135–141. , .
- 2000. Solute movement in the rhizosphere. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2001. Microdialysis sampling – challenges and new frontiers. LC GC North America 19: 462–475. , , .
- 2013. Quarternary ammonium compounds can be abundant in some soils and are taken up as intact molecules by plants. New Phytologist 198: 476–485. .
- 1994. A steady-state model of nutrient-uptake accounting for newly grown roots. Soil Science Society of America Journal 58: 1562–1571. .