C3 photosynthesis in the desert plant Rhazya stricta is fully functional at high temperatures and light intensities
Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 862–873, February 2014
How to Cite
Lawson, T., Davey, P. A., Yates, S. A., Bechtold, U., Baeshen, M., Baeshen, N., Mutwakil, M. Z., Sabir, J., Baker, N. R. and Mullineaux, P. M. (2014), C3 photosynthesis in the desert plant Rhazya stricta is fully functional at high temperatures and light intensities. New Phytologist, 201: 862–873. doi: 10.1111/nph.12559
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2013
- Deanship of Scientific Research (DSR)
- King Abdul Aziz University (KAU), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Grant Number: D 008/431
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 1996. Inhibition of photosynthesis in olive trees (Olea europaea L.) during water stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1093–1100. , , .
- 2006. Approximate likelihood ratio test for branches: a fast, accurate and powerful alternative. Systematic Biology 55: 539–552. , .
- 2008. Chlorophyll fluorescence: a probe of photosynthesis in vivo. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 89–113. .
- 2005. The influence of the light environment and photosynthesis on oxidative signalling responses in plant–biotrophic pathogen interactions. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1046–1055. , , .
- 1980. Photosynthetic response and adaptation to temperature in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 491–543. , .
- 1980. Responses and adaptation of photosynthesis to high temperatures. In: Turner NC, Kramer PJ, eds. Adaptation of plants to water and high temperature stress. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 223–249. , , .
- 1995. Does photorespiration protect the photosynthetic apparatus in French bean leaves from photoinhibition during drought stress. Planta 196: 450–457. , , , .
- 1985. Effect of temperature on the CO2/O2 specificity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and the rate of respiration in the light. Planta 165: 397–406. , .
- 1998. The temperature dependence of the stimulation of photosynthesis by elevated carbon dioxide in wheat and barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1555–1561. .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2000. Selection of conserved blocks from multiple alignments for their use in phylogenetic analysis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 17: 540–552. .
- 2005. The regulation of Rubisco activase in response to variation in temperature and atmospheric CO2 partial pressure in sweet potato. Plant Physiology 139: 979–990. , .
- 2006. TreeDyn: towards dynamic graphics and annotations for analysis of trees. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 439. , , , , .
- 1980. Effect of leaf position, expansion and age on photosynthesis, transpiration and water use efficiency of cotton. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 7: 89–100. , .
- 2000. Drought stress inhibits photosynthesis by decreasing stomatal aperture – not by affecting ATP synthesis. Trends in Plant Science 5: 187–188. .
- 1991. Partitioning of photosynthetic electron flow between CO2 and O2 reduction in a C3 leaf (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) at different CO2 concentrations and during drought stress. Planta 183: 178–184. , .
- 1991. Enhanced photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of Pima cotton (Gossypium barbadense L.) bred for increased yield. Plant Physiology 97: 484–489. , , , , .
- 2000. Rubisco activase constrains the photosynthetic potential of leaves at high temperature and CO2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 13430–13435. , .
- 1989. Topography of photosynthetic activity of leaves obtained from video images of chlorophyll fluorescence. Plant Physiology 90: 1233–1238. , , , .
- 1998. Changes in salicylic acid and antioxidants during induced thermotolerance in mustard seedlings. Plant Physiology 118: 1455–1461. , , .
- 1987. Diurnal changes in the photosynthesis of field grown grape vines. New Phytologist 105: 71–80. , , .
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068–2074. , , , , , .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 2005. Population ecology of Rhazya stricta Decne in western Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Agriculture & Biology 7: 932–938. .
- 2006. Stomatal opening at elevated temperature: an underestimated regulatory mechanism. General and Applied Plant Physiology Special Issue: 19–31. .
- 1998. Moderately high temperatures inhibit ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) activase-mediated activation of Rubisco. Plant Physiology 116: 539–546. , , .
- 2012. Ensembl 2012. Nucleic Acids Research 40: D84–D90. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Natural genetic variation in plant photosynthesis. Trends in Plant Science 16: 327–335. , , .
- 2005. Inferring species phylogenies from multiple genes: concatenated sequence tree versus consensus gene tree. Journal of Experimental Zoology Part B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution 304: 64–74. , , .
- 2013. Photosynthetic characterization of Rubisco transplantomic lines reveals alterations on photochemistry and mesophyll conductance. Photosynthesis Research 115: 115–166. , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis and conductance of spring-wheat leaves: field response to continuous free-air atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 659–669. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systemic Biology 52: 696–704. , .
- 1983. Temperature dependence of the enzymic carboxylation and oxygenation of ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate in relation to effects of temperature on photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 72: 945–948. , .
- 2008. The effects of Rubisco activase on C4 photosynthesis and metabolism at high temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1789–1798. , , , , , .
- 2009. Ensembl 2009. Nucleic Acids Research 37: D690–D697. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Contribution of Working Group II to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1984. The CO2/O2 specificity of ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase. Planta 161: 308–313. , .
- 2003. Light perception in plant disease defence signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 390–396. , , , , .
- 2013. MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Molecular Biology and Evolution 30: 772–780. , .
- 2007. Enhanced thermostability of Arabidopsis Rubisco activase improves photosynthesis and growth rates under moderate stress. Plant Cell 19: 3230–3241. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Relationships between leaf temperature, compatible solutes and anti transpirant treatments in some desert plants. Plant Science 100: 147–156. , , .
- 1999. Inhibition and acclimation of photosynthesis to heat stress is closely correlated with activation of ribulose1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase. Plant Physiology 120: 173–181. , .
- 2012. Improving yield by exploiting mechanisms underlying natural variation of photosynthesis. Current Opinions in Plant Biotechnology 23: 215–220. , , .
- 2010. Photosynthesis and stomatal behaviour. Progress in Botany 72: 265–304. , , .
- 2003. Climate and management contributions to recent trends in US agriculture yields. Science 299: 1032. , .
- 2007. Global scale climate–crop yield relationships and the impacts of recent warming. Environmental Research Letters 2: art. 014002. , .
- 2013. The critical role of extreme heat for maize production in the United States. Nature Climate Change 3: 479–501. , , , , .
- 2012. Extreme heat effects on wheat senescence in India. Nature Climate Change 2: 186–189. , , .
- 2003. Gas exchange measurements, what can they tell us about the underlying limitations to photosynthesis? Procedures and sources of error. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2393–2401. , .
- 2012. A review of phytochemistry, bioactivities and ethno medicinal uses of Rhazya stricta Decsne (Apocynaceae). African Journal of Microbiology Research 6: 1629–1641. , , , , , .
- 1993. Reduction of ribulose-bisphosphate carboxylase activase levels in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) by antisense RNA reduces ribulose-bisphosphate carboxylase carbamylation and impairs photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 102: 1119–1128. , , , , .
- 2006. Controlled levels of salicylic acid are required for optimal photosynthesis and redox homeostasis. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1795–1807. , , , , , .
- 2010. Deriving the consequences of genomic variants with the Ensembl API and SNP Effect Predictor. Bioinformatics 26: 2069–2070. , , , , , .
- 1993. Stomatal and environmental control of transpiration in a lowland tropical forest tree. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 429–436. , , , , .
- 2006. Abiotic stress, the field environment and stress combination. Trends in Plant Science 11: 15–19. .
- 1978. Photosynthetic acclimation to temperature in the desert shrub, Larrea divaricata. Plant Physiology 61: 406–410. , , .
- 2005. Stomatal conductance, transpiration and sap flow of tropical montane rain forest trees in southern Ecuadorian Andes. Tree Physiology 25: 1283–1293. , , , , .
- 2011. Manipulation of photoprotection to improve plant photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 155: 86–92. , .
- 2005. Abscisic acid biosynthesis and catabolism. Annual Review of Plant Biology 56: 165–185. , .
- 2011. Implications of climate change for diseases, crop yields and food security. Euphytica 179: 3–18. , , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 25–51. .
- 1993. Light dependence of quantum yield of photosystem II and CO2 fixation in C3 and C4 plants. Photosynthesis Research 35: 265–272. , , .
- 1972. Simultaneous measurements of oxygen effects and net photosynthesis and glycolate metabolism in C3 and C4 species of Atriplex. Carnegie Institution of Washington Yearbook 11: 141–148. , .
- 1998. Chlorophyll fluorescence quenching during photosynthetic induction in leaves of Abutilon striatum Dicks. infected with Abutilon mosaic virus, observed with a field portable imaging system. Botanica Acta 111: 390–397. , , , .
- 2003. Manipulation of Rubisco: the amount, activity, function and regulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1321–1333. , , , , .
- 2012. Rubisco activity and regulation as targets for crop improvement. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 717–730. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rubisco regulation: a role for inhibitors. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1569–1580. , , , , .
- 1990. Sunflecks and photosynthesis in plant canopies. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41: 421–453. .
- 2007. Updated world map of the Köppen-Geiger climate classification. Hydrology, Earth Systems Science Discussions 4: 439–473. , , .
- 2009. Arid land ecosystems: structure, functioning and management. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2003. Rubisco activase – Rubisco's catalytic chaperone. Photosynthesis Research 75: 11–27. .
- 2007. Discoveries in Rubisco (Ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase): a historical perspective. Photosynthesis Research 94: 121–143. , .
- 1986. Activation of Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase at physiological CO2 and Ribulose bisphosphate concentrations by Rubisco activase. Plant Physiology 82: 967–971. , , .
- 1986. C3–C4 intermediate species in Alternanthera (Amaranthaceae). Leaf anatomy, CO2 compensation point, net CO2 exchange and activity of photosynthesis enzymes. Plant Physiology 80: 409–414. , , .
- 1977. The effect of atmospheric humidity on photosynthesis, transpiration and water use efficiency of leaves of several plant species. Planta 134: 5–10. , , .
- 2009. Rubisco activase and wheat productivity under heat-stress conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 4003–4014. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Leaf photosynthesis and carbohydrate dynamics of soybeans grown throughout their life-cycle under free-air carbon dioxide enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 449–458. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Organisation and expression of two randomly oriented genes encoding ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activase in barley. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266: 4677–4685. , .
- 2007. The temperature response of C3 and C4 photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1086–1106. , .
- 2008. Rubisco, Rubisco activase, and global climate change. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1581–1595. , , .
- 2004a. Inhibition of photosynthesis by heat stress: the activation state of Rubisco as a limiting factor in photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 120: 179–186. , .
- 2004b. Mechanisms for deactivation of Rubisco under moderate heat stress. Plant Physiology 122: 513–519. , .
- 2003. Two isoforms of Rubisco activase in cotton, the products of separate genes not alternative splicing. Planta 216: 736–744. , , .
- 1995. Rubisco activase, a possible new member of the molecular chaperone family. Biochemistry 34: 2826–2831. , , .
- 2011. The plant heat stress transcription factor (Hsf) family: structure, function and evolution. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1819: 104–119. , , , .
- 2009. Nonlinear temperature effects indicate severe damages to US crop yields under climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 15594–15598. , .
- 2001. Guard cell signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 627–658. , , , , .
- 2011. Modelling predicts that heat stress, not drought, will increase vulnerability of wheat in Europe. Science Reports 1: 1–6. , .
- 2002. Complex regulation of ABA biosynthesis in plants. Trends in Plant Science 7: 41–48. , .
- 2007. Fitting photosynthetic carbon dioxide response curves for C3 leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1035–1040. , , , .
- 1974. Rapid estimates of relative water content. Plant Physiology 53: 258–260. , .
- 2002. Rubisco: structure, regulatory interactions, and possibilities for better enzymes. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 449–475. , .
- 2002. The Bioperl toolkit: perl modules for the life sciences. Genome Research 12: 1611–1618. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Water relations and photosynthetic capacity of two species of Calotropis in a tropical semi-arid ecosystem. Annals of Botany 107: 397–405. , , , .
- 1999. Molecular characterisation of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activase in rice leaves. Planta 209: 66–76. , , .
- 1995. The oxygen and carbon dioxide compensation points of C3 plants: possible role in regulating atmospheric oxygen. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11230–11233. , , .
- 1997. Interactions between water stress, sun-shade acclimation, heat tolerance and photoinhibition in the sclerophyll Heteromeles arbutifolia. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 25–36. , .
- 2005. Exploring the plant transcriptome through phylogenetic profiling. Plant Physiology 137: 31–42. , .
- 2012. Phylo-MCOA: a fast and efficient method to detect outlier genes and species in phylogenomics using multiple co-inertia analysis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29: 1587–1598. , , .
- 1992. Species-dependent variation in the interaction of substrate-bound ribulose-1,5-biphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) and Rubisco activase. Plant Physiology 100: 1858–1862. , , , , .
- 1989. Alternative mRNA splicing generates the two ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activase polypeptides in spinach and Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 1: 815–825. , , .
- 2001. A general empirical model of protein evolution derived from multiple protein families using a maximum-likelihood approach. Molecular Biology and Evolution 18: 691–699. , .
- 1999. Directed mutations of the Rubisco large subunit of tobacco influences photorespiration and growth. Plant Physiology 121: 579–588. , , , .
- 1996. Stomata, 2nd edn. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , .
- 2004. Electron transport is the functional limitation of photosynthesis in field-grown Pima cotton plants at high temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 717–724. , , , .
- 1979. Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 2002. Temperature acclimation of photosynthesis and related changes in photosystem II electron transport in winter wheat. Plant Physiology 128: 1087–1097. , , , , , .
- 2013. Temperature response of photosynthesis in C3, C4, and CAM plants: temperature acclimation and temperature adaptation. Photosynthesis Research. doi:10.1007/s11120-013-9874-6. , , .