Opposite carbon isotope discrimination during dark respiration in leaves versus roots – a review
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 751–769, February 2014
How to Cite
Ghashghaie, J. and Badeck, F. W. (2014), Opposite carbon isotope discrimination during dark respiration in leaves versus roots – a review. New Phytologist, 201: 751–769. doi: 10.1111/nph.12563
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2013
- SIBAE network. Grant Number: COST ES0806
- 2009. Consistent patterns in leaf lamina and leaf vein C isotope composition across 10 herbs and tree species. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2455–2460. , , , .
- 2005. Post-photosynthetic fractionation of stable carbon isotopes between plant organs – a widespread phenomenon. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 1381–1391. , , , , .
- 2007. A new measurement technique reveals rapid post-illumination changes in the carbon isotope composition of leaf-respired CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 469–482. , , , , .
- 2008. Approche isotopique du métabolisme respiratoire racinaire chez le haricot. PhD Thesis, Université de Paris-Sud 11, Faculté des Sciences d'Orsay, France. .
- 2008. Divergence in δ13C of dark respired CO2 and bulk organic matter occurs during the transition between heterotrophy and autotrophy in Phaseolus vulgaris plants. New Phytologist 177: 406–418. , , , , , .
- 2009. Metabolic origin of δ13C of respired CO2 from the roots of Phaseolus vulgaris. New Phytologist 181: 387–399. , , , , , .
- 2008. Carbon assimilation by tree stems: potential involvement of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase. Trees 22: 149–157. , .
- 2008. Carbon isotopes in terrestrial ecosystem pools and CO2 fluxes. New Phytologist 178: 24–40. , , .
- 2003. Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy for stable isotope studies of ecosystem-atmosphere CO2 exchange. Agricultural & Forest Meteorology 118: 1–19. , , , .
- 2011. Carbon allocation and carbon isotope fluxes in the plant-soil-atmosphere continuum: a review. Biogeosciences 8: 3457–3489. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Photosynthetic fractionation of carbon isotopes. In: Leegood RC, Sharkey TD, von Caemmerer S, eds. Photosynthesis: physiology and metabolism. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 399–434. , .
- 1991. Determination of the average partial pressure of CO2 in chloroplasts from leaves of several C3 plants. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 287–305. , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 25: 129–146. , , .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination in photosynthetic bark. Oecologia 128: 24–35. , , , .
- 2002. Diurnal variation in the stable isotope composition of water and dry matter in fruiting Lupinus angustifolius under field conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 893–907. , , .
- 2009. Viewpoint: why are non-photosynthetic tissues generally 13C enriched compared with leaves in C3 plants? Review and synthesis of current hypotheses. Functional Plant Biology 36: 199–213. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Environmental and physiological determinants of carbon isotope discrimination in terrestrial plants. Tansley Review. New Phytologist. 200: 950–965. , , , , , .
- 1996. Measurement of rhizosphere respiration and organic matter decomposition using natural 13C. Plant and Soil 183: 263–268. .
- 1993. Inorganic carbon fixation and metabolism in maize roots as affected by nitrate and ammonium nutrition. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 632–639. , , .
- 2005. The carbon isotope composition of CO2 respired by trunks: comparison of four sampling methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 369–374. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Carbon stable isotope ratio of phloem sugars in mature pine trees throughout the growing season: comparison of two extraction methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2511–2519. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Quantification of compartmented metabolic fluxes in maize root tips using isotope distribution from 13C or 14C-labeled glucose. Journal of Biological Chemistry 270: 13147–13159. , , , , .
- 2007. Interactions between soil and tree roots accelerate long-term soil carbon decomposition. Ecology Letters 10: 1046–1053. , .
- 2012. Species-specific differences in temporal and spatial variation in δ13C of plant carbon pools and dark-respired CO2 under changing environmental conditions. Photosynthesis Research 113: 297–309. , , .
- 1998. Contribution of malic enzyme, pyruvate kinase, phophoenol pyruvate carboxylase, and the Krebs cycle to respiration and biosynthesis and to intracellular pH regulation during hypoxia in maize root tips observed by nuclear magnetic resonance imaging and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Plant Physiology 116: 1073–1081. , , , .
- 2009. Leaf and twig δ13C during growth in relation to biochemical composition and respired CO2. Tree Physiology 29: 777–788. , , , , .
- 2011. Seasonal variations of belowground carbon transfer assessed by in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling of trees. Biogeosciences 8: 1153–1168. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Resistances along the CO2 diffusion pathway inside leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2235–2248. , , , .
- 1986. Carbon isotope discrimination measured concurrently with gas exchange to investigate CO2 diffusion in leaves of higher plants. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 281–292. , , , .
- 1983. On the nature of carbon isotope discrimination in C4 species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 205–226. .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1985. Physiological influences on carbon isotope discrimination in huon pine (Lagarostrobos franklinii). Oecologia 66: 211–218. , , , .
- 1997. Carbon 13 exchanges between the atmosphere and biosphere. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 11: 507–533. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech – evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 721–729. , , .
- 2009. On the metabolic origin of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 evolved from darkened light-adapted leaves in Ricinus communis. New Phytologist 181: 374–386. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Diel variations of the carbon isotope composition in leaf, stem and phloem sap organic matter in Ricinus communis. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 941–953. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope discrimination during dark respiration and photorespiration in C3 plants. Phytochemistry Reviews 2: 145–161. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13C of leaf metabolites: comparison between Nicotiana sylvestris and Helianthus annuus under drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 505–515. , , , , , .
- 2013. Isotope ratio mass spectrometry technique to follow plant metabolism: principles and applications of 12C/13C isotopes. Advances in Botanical Research: metabolomics coming of age with its technological diversity, chap. 8, vol. 67. Academic Press, Elsevier, 378–405. , .
- 2012. Intramolecular 13C-pattern in hexoses from autotrophic and heterotrophic C3 plant tissues: causes and consequences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 18204–18209. , , , .
- 2011. A 13C NMR spectrometric method for the determination of intramolecular δ13C values in fructose from plant sucrose samples. New Phytologist 191: 579–588. , , , , .
- 1997. Carbon isotope effects on the fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase reaction, origin for non-statistical 13C distribution in carbohydrates. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 5382–5387. , .
- 2012. Transpiration alters the contribution of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 194: 647–653. , , .
- 2002. Characteristics of C4 photosynthesis in stems and petioles of C3 flowering plants. Nature 415: 451–454. , .
- 2004. Tansley review: intramolecular, compound-specific, and bulk carbon isotope patterns in C3 and C4 plants: a review and synthesis. New Phytologist 161: 371–385. , .
- 1953. Plant respiration. London, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short-term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2005. C-isotope composition of CO2 respired by roots: fractionation during dark respiration? Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 241–250. , , , , , .
- 2011. Short-term dynamics of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 emitted from a wheat agroecosystem – physiological and environmental controls. Plant Biology 13: 115–125. , , , .
- 2009. Changes in 13C/12C of oil palm leaves to understand the use of carbon during their passage from heterotrophy to autotrophy. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2586–2596. , , , .
- 2008. Carbon isotope fractionation during photorespiration and carboxylation in Senecio. Plant Physiology 148: 2013–2020. , , , .
- 2008. Chemical mechanism of homoisocitrate dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry 47: 4169–4180. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Does any 13C/12C fractionation occur during starch remobilisation in potato tubers? Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2527–2533. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Carbon isotope effects on the pyruvate dehydrogenase reaction and their importance for relative carbon-13 depletion in lipids. Journal of Biological Chemistry 262: 8159–8164. , .
- 2005. Temporal variability in 13C of respired CO2 in a pine and a hardwood forest subject to similar climatic conditions. Oecologia 142: 57–69. , , , , , .
- 2006. Influence of 13C-enriched foliage respired CO2 on δ13C of ecosystem-respired CO2. Global Biogeochemistry 20: 3029–3038. , , .
- 2010. Diffusive fractionation complicates isotopic partitioning of autotrophic and heterotrophic sources of soil respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1804–1819. , , , .
- 1978. Dark carboxylation and its possible effect on the values of δ13C in C3 plants. Acta Physioloiae Plantarum 1: 53–58. .
- 2003. Partitioning net ecosystem carbon exchange into net assimilation and respiration using 13CO2 measurements: a cost-effective sampling strategy. Global Geochemical Cycles 17: 1022, doi: 10.1029/2001GB001850, 1. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1961. Metabolic fractionation of 13C and 12C in plants. Plant Physiology 36: 133–138. , .
- 2003. The application and interpretation of Keeling plots in terrestrial carbon cycle research. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 22-1–22-14. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. δ13C analysis of phloem sap carbon: novel means of evaluating seasonal water stress and interpreting carbon isotope signatures of foliage and trunk wood of Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 301–311. , .
- 2009. Pronounced differences in diurnal variation of carbon isotope composition of leaf respired CO2 among functional groups. New Phytologist 181: 400–412. , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of protein pattern changes in roots and leaves of Zea mays plants in response to nitrate availability by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis analysis. BMC Plant Biology 9: 113–130. , , , , .
- 1990. The influence of N metabolism and organic acid synthesis on the natural abundance of isotopes of carbon in plants. New Phytologist 116: 505–529. , .
- 1984. Use of multiple isotope effects to study the mechanism of 6-phosphogluconate dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 23: 6257–6262. , , .
- 1991. Evidence for a non-statistical carbon isotope distribution in natural glucose. Plant Physiology 96: 609–614. , , .
- 2004. Comparisons of δ13C of photosynthetic products and ecosystem respiratory CO2 and their responses to seasonal climate variability. Oecologia 140: 340–351. , , , , , .
- 2005. Partitioning respiration of C3–C4 mixed communities using the natural abundance 13C approach – testing assumptions in a controlled environment. Plant Biology 7: 592–600. , .
- 1985. Effect of nitrate and ammonium nutrition of nonnodulated Phaseolus vulgaris L. on phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase and pyruvate kinase activity. Plant Physiology 78: 455–458. , .
- 1971. Carbon isotope ratios of respired CO2 from castor bean, peanut, pea, radish, squash, sunflower and wheat seedlings. Plant Cell Physiology 12: 451–455. .
- 2012. Environmental and physiological controls on the carbon isotope composition of CO2 respired by leaves and roots of a C3 woody legume (Prosopis velutina) and a C4 perennial grass (Sporobolus wrightii). Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 567–577. , , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon isotope effect predictions on enzymes involved in the primary carbon metabolism of plant leaves. Functional Plant Biology 32: 277–291. , .
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , , .
- 2011. The 13C/12C isotopic signal of day-respired CO2 in variegated leaves of Pelargonium hortorum. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 270–283. , , , , .
- 2003. Metabolic origin of carbon isotope composition of leaf dark-respired CO2 in French bean. Plant Physiology 131: 237–244. , , , , , .
- 1996. Heterotrophic whole plant tissues show more 13C enrichment than their carbon sources. Phytochemistry 43: 1183–1188. , .
- 2008. Origin, fate and significance of CO2 in tree stems. New Phytologist 177: 17–32. , , , .
- 1974. Photosynthetic pathways and carbon isotope discrimination by plants. Carnegie Institute, Washington Year Book 73: 768–780. , , .
- 2010. The magnitude of diurnal variation in carbon isotopic composition of leaf dark respired CO2 correlates with the difference between δ13C of leaf and root material. Functional Plant Biology 37: 849–858. , , .
- 2012. Linking carbon and water cycles using stable isotopes across scales: progress and challenges. Biogeosciences 9: 3083–3111. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Diel variations in the carbon isotope composition of respired CO2 and associated carbon sources: a review of dynamics and mechanisms. Biogeosciences 8: 2437–2459. , .
- 2007. Temporal dynamics in δ13C of ecosystem respiration in response to environmental changes. In: Dawson T, Siegwolf R, eds. Isotopes as tracers of ecological change. San Diego, CA, USA: Elsevier Academic Press, 193–210. , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of isotopic composition of leaf-respired CO2 upon darkening: measurements and implications. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2428–2438. , , , , .
- 2011. Metabolic fluxes, carbon isotope fractionation and respiration – lessons to be learned from plant biochemistry. New Phytologist 191: 10–15. , , , , .
- 2005. Below-ground partitioning (14C) and isotopic fractionation (δ13C) of carbon recently assimilated by maize. Isotopes in Environmental & Health Studies 41: 237–248. , .
- 2010. 13C fractionation at the root-microorganisms-soil interface: a review and outlook for partitioning studies. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 1372–1384. , .
- 2010. Photosynthetic carbon isotope discrimination and its relationship to the carbon isotope signals of stem, soil and ecosystem respiration. New Phytologist 188: 576–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. 13C isotope fractionation during rhizosphere respiration of C3 and C4 plants. Plant and Soil 342: 277–287. , .