Stem girdling affects the quantity of CO2 transported in xylem as well as CO2 efflux from soil
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 897–907, February 2014
How to Cite
Bloemen, J., Agneessens, L., Van Meulebroek, L., Aubrey, D. P., McGuire, M. A., Teskey, R. O. and Steppe, K. (2014), Stem girdling affects the quantity of CO2 transported in xylem as well as CO2 efflux from soil. New Phytologist, 201: 897–907. doi: 10.1111/nph.12568
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2013
- Special Research Fund (BOF)
- Ghent University
- 2012. Influence of repeated canopy scorching on soil CO2 efflux. Forest Ecology and Management 282: 142–148. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Root-derived CO2 efflux via xylem stream rivals soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 35–40. , .
- 2002. Contrasting distribution and seasonal dynamics of carbohydrate reserves in stem wood of adult ring-porous sessile oak and diffuse-porous beech trees. Tree Physiology 22: 1201–1210. , .
- 2003. Distribution of above-ground and below-ground carbohydrate reserves in adult trees of two contrasting broad-leaved species (Quercus petraea and Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 157: 605–615. , , .
- 2009. Midday depression in root respiration of Quercus crispula and Chamaecyparis obtusa: its implication for estimating carbon cycling in forest ecosystems. Ecological Research 24: 865–871. , , , .
- 2011. Midday depression of tree root respiration in relation to leaf transpiration. Ecological Research 26: 791–799. , , , .
- 2003. Tree root and soil heterotrophic respiration as revealed by girdling of boreal Scots pine forest: extending observations beyond the first year. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1287–1296. , , , , , .
- 2013. Transport of root-respired CO2 via the transpiration stream affects aboveground carbon assimilation and CO2 efflux in trees. New Phytologist 197: 555–565. , , , , .
- 2004. A global relationship between the heterotrophic and autotrophic components of soil respiration? Global Change Biology 10: 1756–1766. , , .
- 1993. Contributions of aboveground litter, belowground litter, and root respiration to total soil respiration in a temperature mixed hardwood forest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 23: 1402–1407. , , , , .
- 2010. Calibration of thermal dissipation sap flow probes for ring- and diffuse-porous trees. Tree Physiology 30: 1545–1554. , , , .
- 2006. A distinct seasonal pattern of the ratio of soil respiration to total ecosystem respiration in a spruce-dominated forest. Global Change Biology 12: 230–239. , , , .
- 2002. Minimizing artifacts and biases in chamber-based measurements of soil respiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 21–37. , , , .
- 2010. Detailed analysis of double girdling effects on stem diameter variations and sap flow in young oak trees. Environmental and Experimental Botany 68: 149–156. , , , .
- 2012. Localized stem chilling alters carbon processes in the adjacent stem and in source leaves. Tree Physiology 31: 1194–1203. , , .
- 2008. The effect of reduced tillage on nitrous oxide emissions of silt loam soils. Biology and Fertility of Soils 45: 213–217. , , , , , .
- 2008. Bole girdling affects metabolic properties and root, trunk and branch hydraulics of young ponderosa pine trees. Tree Physiology 28: 1493–1504. , .
- 1970. The role of soil invertebrates in turnover of organic matter and nutrients. In: Reichle DE, ed. Analysis of temperate forest ecosystems. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 12–172. , , .
- 2007. Rhizospheric influence on soil respiration and decomposition in a temperate Norway spruce stand. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 39: 2103–2110. , , .
- 2012. Pulse-labelling trees to study carbon allocation dynamics: a review of methods, current knowledge and future prospects. Tree Physiology 32: 776–798. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Seasonal variations of belowground carbon transfer assessed by in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling of trees. Biogeosciences 8: 1153–1168. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Quantifying the impact of daily and seasonal variation in sap pH on xylem dissolved inorganic carbon estimates in plum trees. Plant Biology. doi:10.1111/plb.12009. , , .
- 2006. Effect of girdling on soil respiration and root composition in a sweet chestnut forest. Forest Ecology and Management 225: 271–277. , , .
- 2005. Effects of xylem sap flow on carbon dioxide efflux from stems of birch (Betula pendula Roth). Flora 200: 444–455. , .
- 1996. Exchange of carbon dioxide by a deciduous forest: response to interannual climate variability. Science 271: 1576–1578. , , , , .
- 2012. Transpiration alters the contribution of autotrophic and heterotrophic components of soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 194: 647–653. , , .
- 2009. Root carbon flux: measurements versus mechanisms. New Phytologist 184: 4–6. , .
- 2009. Partitioning of soil respiration into its autotrophic and heterotrophic components by means of tree-girdling in old boreal spruce forest. Forest Ecology and Management 257: 1764–1767. , , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Physiological girdling of pine trees via phloem chilling: proof of concept. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 128–134. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mobilizable carbon reserves in young peach trees as evidenced by trunk girdling experiments. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 79–87. , .
- 2010. Review: time lag between photosynthesis and carbon dioxide efflux from soil: a review of mechanisms and controls. Global Change Biology 16: 3386–3406. , .
- 2006. Contribution of rhizomicrobial and root respiration to the CO2 emission from soil (a review). Eurasian Soil Science 39: 753–764. , .
- 2013. Stored carbon partly fuels fine-root respiration but is not used for production of new fine roots. New Phytologist 199: 420–430. , , , , .
- 2010. Impact of carbohydrate supply on stem growth, wood and respired CO2 d13C: assessment by experimental girdling. Tree Physiology 30: 818–830. , , , , , , .
- 2007. CO2 fluxes and respiration of branch segments (Platanus occidentalis L.) examined at different velocities, branch diameters, and temperatures. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2159–2168. , , .
- 2002. Microelectrode technique for in situ measurement of carbon dioxide concentrations in xylem sap of trees. Tree Physiology 22: 807–811. , .
- 2005. Fertilization of boreal forest reduces both autotrophic and heterotrophic soil respiration. Global Change Biology 11: 1745–1753. , , , .
- 2010. Seasonal changes in starch and sugar content of poplar (Populus deltoides x nigra cv. Dorskamp) and the impact of stem girdling on carbohydrate allocation to roots. Tree Physiology 30: 979–987. , , , .
- 1995. Shoot damage effects on starch reserves of Cedrela odorata. Biotropica 27: 71–77. , , .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , , .
- 2008. A conceptual and practical approach to data quality and analysis procedures for high-frequency soil respiration measurements. Functional Ecology 22: 1000–1007. , , .
- 2007a. Daytime depression in tree stem CO2 efflux rates: is it caused by low stem turgor pressure? Annals of Botany 99: 477–485. , , .
- 2007b. Drought and the diurnal patterns of stem CO2 efflux and xylem CO2 concentration in young oak (Quercus robur). Tree Physiology 27: 365–374. , , .
- 2006. Differential controls by climate and substrate over the heterotrophic and rhizospheric components of soil respiration. Global Change Biology 12: 205–216. , , .
- 2010. A comparison of sap flux density using thermal dissipation, heat pulse velocity and heat field deformation methods. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150: 1046–1056. , , , .
- 2004. Feedback interactions between needle litter decomposition and rhizosphere activity. Oecologia 139: 551–559. , , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of abiotic and biotic soil 13CO2 effluxes after in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling of a boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 183: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Dynamics and pathways of autotrophic and heterotrophic soil CO2 efflux revealed by forest girdling. Journal of Ecology 99: 186–193. , , , , .
- 2009. Wind velocity perturbation of soil respiration measurements using closed dynamic chambers. European Journal of Soil Science 60: 515–524. , , , .
- 2011. A simple calibration improved the accuracy of the thermal dissipation technique for sap flow measurements in juvenile trees of six species. Trees - Structure and Function 26: 1–10. , , .
- 2002. Carbon dioxide transport in xylem causes errors in estimation of rates of respiration in stems and branches of trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1571–1577. , .
- 2008. Origin, fate and significance of CO2 in tree stems. New Phytologist 177: 17–32. , , , .
- 2013. What's the flux? Unraveling how CO2 fluxes from trees reflect underlying physiological processes. New Phytologist 197: 353–355. , , , , .
- 2007. Temporal variation and high-resolution spatial heterogeneity in soil CO2 efflux in a short-rotation tree plantation. Tree Physiology 27: 837–848. , , , , .
- 1957. Translocation of organic substances in trees. I. The nature of the sugars in the sieve tube exudate of trees. Plant Physiology 32: 288–291. .