The novel allele of the LhMYB12 gene is involved in splatter-type spot formation on the flower tepals of Asiatic hybrid lilies (Lilium spp.)
Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 1009–1020, February 2014
How to Cite
Yamagishi, M., Toda, S. and Tasaki, K. (2014), The novel allele of the LhMYB12 gene is involved in splatter-type spot formation on the flower tepals of Asiatic hybrid lilies (Lilium spp.). New Phytologist, 201: 1009–1020. doi: 10.1111/nph.12572
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2013
- Grant-In-Aid for Scientific Research. Grant Number: 22580022
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- 2002. Genetic analysis of floral anthocyanin pigmentation traits in Asiatic hybrid lily using molecular linkage maps. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 105: 1175–1182. , , , , , .
- 2011. Members of an R2R3-MYB transcription factor family in Petunia are developmentally and environmentally regulated to control complex floral and vegetative pigmentation patterning. Plant Journal 65: 771–784. , , , , , .
- 1989. Lilium L. In: Tsukamoto Y, ed. The grand dictionary of horticulture, vol 5. Tokyo, Japan: Syogakukan, 198–209 (in Japanese). .
- 2011. Flavonoid-related basic helix-loop-helix regulators, NtAn1a and NtAn1b, of tobacco have originated from two ancestors and are functionally active. Planta 234: 363–375. , , , , , .
- 2006. TT8 controls its own expression in a feedback regulation involving TTG1 and homologous MYB and bHLH factors, allowing a strong and cell-specific accumulation of flavonoids in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 46: 768–779. , , .
- 2004. Mutations in the pale aleurone color1 regulatory gene of the Zea mays anthocyanin pathway have distinct phenotypes relative to the functionally similar TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA1 gene in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 16: 450–464. , , , .
- 2003. Complete sequence of the binary vector pBI121 and its application in cloning T-DNA insertion from transgenic plants. Molecular Breeding 11: 287–293. , , , .
- 2010. AUF1 p42 isoform selectively controls both steady-state and PGE2-induced FGF9 mRNA decay. Nucleic Acids Research 38: 8061–8071. , , , .
- 1949. A new classification of the genus Lilium. Lily yearbook, vol. 13. London, UK: Royal Horticultural Society, 85–105. .
- 2009. Genetic divergence causes parallel evolution of flower color in Chilean Mimulus. New Phytologist 183: 729–739. , .
- 2012. From landing lights to mimicry: the molecular regulation of flower colouration and mechanisms for pigmentation patterning. Functional Plant Biology 39: 619–638. , , .
- 1998. Isolation and characterization of 3,5,6-trihydroxy-carotenoids from petals of Lilium tigrinum. Chromatographia 48: 27–31. , , , , , .
- 2011. FUBP3 interacts with FGF9 3′ microsatellite and positively regulates FGF9 translation. Nucleic Acids Research 39: 3582–3593. , , , .
- 2013. How to spot a flower. New Phytologist 197: 687–689. , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway by the TTG1/bHLH/Myb transcriptional complex in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Journal 53: 814–827. , , , .
- 2004. Nature's Swiss Army knife: the diverse protective roles of anthocyanins in leaves. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 2004: 314–320. .
- 2006. The genetics and biochemistry of floral pigments. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 761–780. .
- 1985. A simple and general method for transferring genes into plants. Science 227: 1229–1231. , , , , , .
- 2012. Cloning and functional characterization of a gene for capsanthin-capsorubin synthase from tiger lily (Lilium lancifolium Thunb. ‘Splendens’). Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 1899–1912. , , , , , .
- 2005. Flavonoids: a colorful model for the regulation and evolution of biochemical pathways. Trends in Plant Science 10: 236–242. , , .
- 2005. The star-type color pattern in Petunia hybrida ‘Red Star’ flowers is induced by sequence-specific degradation of chalcone synthase RNA. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 1879–1883. , , , .
- 2012. Pigment accumulation and transcription of LhMYB12 and anthocyanin biosynthesis genes during flower development in the Asiatic hybrid lily (Lilium spp.). Plant Science 193–194: 136–147. , , , .
- 2007. Clustal W and clustal X version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23: 2947–2948. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1982. The International Lily register, 3rd edn. London, UK: The Royal Horticultural Society. .
- 2006. Lily: Lilium hybrids. In: Anderson NO, ed. Flower breeding and genetics: issues, challenges and opportunities for the 21st century. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 513–532. , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2013. Precise spatio-temporal regulation of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway leads to petal spot formation in Clarkia gracilis (Onagraceae). New Phytologist 197: 958–969. , , , , .
- 1997. Peripheral framework of carrot cell nucleus contains a novel protein predicted to exhibit a long α-helical domain. Experimental Cell Research 232: 173–181. , , , , , , .
- 1998. How genes paint flowers and seeds. Trends in Plant Science 3: 212–217. , , .
- 2009. A vacuolar iron transporter in tulip, TgVit1, is responsible for blue coloration in petal cells through iron accumulation. Plant Journal 59: 437–447. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Tandemly arranged chalcone synthase A genes contribute to the spatially regulated expression of siRNA and the natural bicolor floral phenotype in Petunia hybrida. Plant Journal 70: 739–749. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal expression of chalcone synthase and dihydroflavonol 4-reductase genes in the Asiatic hybrid lily. Plant Science 165: 759–767. , , .
- 2012. Isolation and characterization of GtMYBP3 and GtMYBP4, orthologues of R2R3-MYB transcription factors that regulate early flavonoid biosynthesis, in gentian flowers. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 6505–6517. , , , , , .
- 2009. Light-induced expression of basic helix-loop-helix genes involved in anthocyanin biosynthesis in flowers and leaves of Asiatic hybrid lily. Scientia Horticulturae 121: 84–91. , , , , .
- 1999. Anthocyanins from flowers of Lilium (Liliaceae). Phytochemistry 50: 1181–1184. , .
- 2011. Simultaneous post-transcriptional gene silencing of two different chalcone synthase genes resulting in pure white flowers in the octoploid dahlia. Planta 234: 945–958. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of FUSE-binding protein 1 as a regulatory mRNA-binding protein that represses nucleophosmin translation. Oncogene 30: 77–86. , , , , .
- 2010. Isolation and functional characterization of a floral tissue-specific R2R3 MYB regulator from tobacco. Planta 231: 1061–1076. , , , , , , .
- 2003. pl-bol3, a complex allele of the anthocyanin regulatory pl1 locus that arose in a naturally occurring maize population. Plant Journal 36: 510–521. , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of anthocyanin biosynthesis involved in the formation of marginal picotee petals in Petunia. Plant Science 170: 828–834. , , , , , , .
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4: 406–425. , .
- 2004. How plant–animal interactions signal new insights in communication. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19: 577–584. , , .
- 2006. A small family of MYB-regulatory genes controls floral pigmentation intensity and patterning in the genus Antirrhinum. Plant Cell 18: 831–851. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Flavonoids. In: Davies KM, ed. Plant pigments and their manipulation, vol. 14. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 92–149. , .
- 2011. The molecular basis for venation patterning of pigmentation and its effect on pollinator attraction in flowers of Antirrhinum. New Phytologist 189: 602–615. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Perianth bottom-specific blue color development in Tulip cv. Murasakizuisho requires ferric ions. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 243–251. , , , , , .
- 2010. Alternative expression of vacuolar iron transporter and ferritin genes leads to blue/purple coloration of flowers in tulip cv. ‘Murasakizuisho’. Plant and Cell Physiology 51: 215–224. , , .
- 1989. A survey of C-band patterns in chromosomes of Lilium (Liliaceae). Plant Systematics and Evolution 163: 53–69. , , .
- 2000. anthocyanin1 of petunia encodes a basic helix-loop-helix protein that directly activates transcription of structural anthocyanin genes. Plant Cell 12: 1619–1632. , , , .
- 2001. The R2R3-MYB gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 447–456. , , .
- 2010. White marginal picotee formation in the petals of Camellia japonica ‘Tamanoura’. Journal of the Japanese Society for Horticultural Science 79: 207–214. , , .
- 2009. Development of a complex floral trait: the pollinator-attracting petal spots of the beetle daisy, Gorteria diffusa (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 96: 2184–2196. , , , , .
- 2001. Flavonoid biosynthesis. A colorful model for genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and biotechnology. Plant Physiology 126: 485–493. .
- 2013. Regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis involves an unexpected complex transcriptional regulation of TT8 expression, in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 198: 59–70. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Oriental hybrid lily Sorbonne homologue of LhMYB12 regulates anthocyanin biosyntheses in flower tepals and tepal spots. Molecular Breeding 28: 381–389. .
- 2013. How genes paint lily flowers: regulation of colouration and pigmentation patterning. Scientia Horticulturae, in press. doi: 10.1016/j.scienta.2013.07.024. .
- 2013. Morphology and heredity of tepal spots in Asiatic and Oriental hybrid lilies (Lilium spp.). Euphytica, in press. doi: 10.1007/s10681-013-0937-8. , .
- 2010a. Carotenoid composition and changes in expression of carotenoid biosynthetic genes in tepals of Asiatic hybrid lily. Plant Breeding 129: 100–107. , , .
- 2010b. Two R2R3-MYB genes, homologs of petunia AN2, regulate anthocyanin biosyntheses in flower tepals, tepal spots and leaves of Asiatic hybrid lily. Plant and Cell Physiology 51: 463–474. , , , .
- 2012. The transcription factor LhMYB12 determines anthocyanin pigmentation in the tepals of Asiatic hybrid lilies (Lilium spp.) and regulates pigment quantity. Molecular Breeding 30: 913–925. , , .
- 2005. Comparisons of maize pericarp color1 alleles reveal paralogous gene recombination and an organ-specific enhancer region. Plant Cell 17: 903–914. , .
- 2007. Comparison of anthocyanins in non-blotches and blotches of the petals of Xibei tree peony. Scientia Horticulturae 114: 104–111. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Comprehensive identification of Arabidopsis thaliana MYB transcription factors interacting with R/B-like BHLH proteins. Plant Journal 40: 22–34. , , , .