Physiological differences explain the co-existence of different regeneration strategies in Mediterranean ecosystems
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 4, pages 1277–1288, March 2014
How to Cite
Vilagrosa, A., Hernández, E. I., Luis, V. C., Cochard, H. and Pausas, J. G. (2014), Physiological differences explain the co-existence of different regeneration strategies in Mediterranean ecosystems. New Phytologist, 201: 1277–1288. doi: 10.1111/nph.12584
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAY 2013
- Spanish Government
- Generalitat Valenciana
- European Commission
- 1992. Comparative water relations of four Mediterranean oak species. Vegetatio 99: 177–184. , .
- 2004a. Adaptation, niche conservatism, and convergence: comparative studies of leaf evolution in the California chaparral. American Naturalist 163: 654–671. .
- 2004b. Functional strategies of chaparral shrubs in relation to seasonal water deficit and disturbance. Ecological Monographs 74: 25–44. .
- 2007. Evolution of hydraulic traits in closely related species pairs from Mediterranean and nonmediterranean environments of North America. New Phytologist 176: 718–726. , , .
- 2001. Ecology of sprouting in woody plants: the persistence niche. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 45–51. , .
- 1996. Fire and plants. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. , .
- 2009. Hydraulic failure defines the recovery and point of death in water-stressed conifers. Plant Physiology 149: 575–584. , .
- 2012. How wood evolves: a new synthesis. Botany 90: 901–940. .
- 2009. Towards a worldwide wood economics spectrum. Ecology Letters 12: 351–366. , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth, water relations and photosynthesis of seedlings and resprouts after fire. Acta Oecologica 27: 233–243. , , .
- 2013. Methods for measuring plant vulnerability to cavitation: a critical review. Journal of Experimental Botany. doi: 10.1093/jxb/ert193. , , , , , .
- 2010. Does sample length influence the shape of xylem embolism vulnerability curves? A test with the Cavitron spinning technique. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1543–1552. , , , , , .
- 2002. Functional groups in Quercus species derived from the analysis of pressure–volume curves. Trees 16: 465–472. , , .
- 1994. Seasonal changes in soil-to-leaf resistance in Cistus sp. and Pistacia lentiscus. Acta Oecologica 15: 289–300. , .
- 2004. The plant traits that drive eco- systems: evidence from three continents. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Techniques for measuring vessel lengths and diameters in stems of woody plants. American Journal of Botany 76: 645–656. , .
- 2012. Influence of aspect in soil and vegetation water dynamics in dry Mediterranean conditions: functional adjustment of evergreen and semi-deciduous growth forms. Ecohydrology 6: 241–255. , , .
- 2011. The Mediterranean evergreen Quercus ilex and the semi-deciduous Cistus albidus differ in their leaf gas exchange regulation and acclimation to repeated drought and re-watering cycles. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 5207–5216. , , , .
- 2007. Photosynthetic limitations in response to water stress and recovery in Mediterranean plants with different growth forms. New Phytologist 175: 81–93. , , .
- 2012. Stem xylem conductivity is key to plant water balance across Australian angiosperm species. Functional Ecology 26: 343–352. , , , , .
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biological Reviews 52: 107–145. .
- 2009. Adaptive radiation in Mediterranean Cistus (Cistaceae). PLoS ONE 4: e6362. , , .
- 2006. Scaling of angiosperm xylem structure with safety and efficiency. Tree Physiology 26: 689–701. , , , .
- 2011. Leaf physiological traits in relation to resprouter ability in the Mediterranean Basin. Plant Ecology 212: 1959–1966. , , .
- 2010. Morphological traits and water use strategies in seedlings of Mediterranean coexisting species. Plant Ecology 207: 233–244. , , , .
- 2007. Cavitation resistance among twenty-six chaparral species of southern California. Ecological Monographs 77: 99–115. , , , .
- 2009. Hydrogen peroxide is involved in the acclimation of the Mediterranean shrub, Cistus albidus L., to summer drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 107–120. , , , .
- 1998. Coupling demography, physiology and evolution in chaparral shrubs. In: Rundel PW, Montenegro G, Jaksic FM, eds. Landscape disturbance and biodiversity in Mediterranean-type ecosystems. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 257–264. .
- 2012. Fire in Mediterranean ecosystems: ecology, evolution and management. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , , .
- 2000. Role of fire in regeneration from seeds. In: Fenner M, ed. Seeds: the ecology of regeneration in plant communities. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 311–330. , .
- 2011. Fire as an evolutionary pressure shaping plant traits. Trends in Plant Science 16: 406–411. , , , , .
- 1991. Rehydration effects on pressure–volume relationships in 4 temperate woody species—variability with site, time of season and drought conditions. Oecologia 85: 537–542. , .
- 2013. Embolism resistance as a key mechanism to understand adaptive plant strategies. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 16: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiology 155: 1051–1059. .
- 2011. The interdependence of mechanisms underlying climate-driven vegetation mortality. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26: 523–532. , , , , , .
- 2008. Variability in water use efficiency at the leaf level among Mediterranean plants with different growth forms. Plant and Soil 317: 17–29. , , .
- 2012. Tanned or burned: the role of fire in shaping physical seed dormancy. PLoS ONE 7: e51523. , .
- 2010. Disentangling the role of heat and smoke as germination cues in Mediterranean Basin flora. Annals of Botany 105: 627–635. , , , .
- 2012. To resprout or not to resprout: factors driving intraspecific variability in resprouting. Oikos 121: 1577–1584. , , .
- 2012. Isotopes reveal contrasting water use strategies among coexisting plant species in a Mediterranean ecosystem. New Phytologist 196: 489–496. , , , .
- 2006. Enhanced alpha-tocopherol quinone levels and xanthiphyll cycle de-epoxodation in rosemary plants exposed to water deficit during a Mediterranean winter. Journal of Plant Physiology 163: 601–606. , , , .
- 2010. Soil shapes community structure through fire. Oecologia 163: 729–735. , , .
- 2012. Can hydraulic traits be used to predict sensitivity of drought-prone forests to crown decline and tree mortality? Plant and Soil 364: 1–3. .
- 2012. Vessel diameter–stem diameter scaling across woody angiosperms and the ecological causes of xylem vessel diameter variation. New Phytologist 197: 1204–1213. , .
- 1999. Survey and synthesis of intra- and interspecific variation in stomatal sensitivy to vapour pressure deficit. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1515–1526. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of comparative data using generalized estimating equations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 218: 175–185. , .
- 2004. APE: analyses of phylogenetics and evolution in R language. Bionformatics 20: 289–290. , , .
- 1990. Seedling growth and storage characteristics of seeder and resprouter species of Mediterranean-type ecosystems of SW Australia. Annals of Botany 65: 585–601. , , , , .
- 2009. Fire-related traits for plant species of the Mediterranean Basin. Ecology 90: 1420. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Leaf traits and resprouting ability in the Mediterranean basin. Functional Ecology 20: 941–947. , .
- 2008. Burning seeds: germinative response to heat treatments in relation to resprouting ability. Journal of Ecology 96: 543–552. , .
- 2011. Root traits explain different foraging strategies between resprouting life histories. Oecologia 165: 321–331. , .
- 1999. Mediterranean vegetation dynamics: modelling problems and functional types. Plant Ecology 140: 27–39. .
- GCTE_Fire_Network. 2004. Plant functional traits in relation to fire in crown-fire ecosystems. Ecology 85: 1085–1100. , , , ,
- 2009. A burning story: the role of fire in the history of life. BioScience 59: 593–601. , .
- 2012. Fire and plant evolution. New Phytologist 193: 301–303. , .
- 2005. Plant persistence traits in fire-prone ecosystems of the Mediterranean basin: a phylogenetic approach. Oikos 109: 196–202. , .
- 2011. Hydraulic traits are associated with the distribution range of two closely related Mediterranean firs, Abies alba Mill. and Abies pinsapo Boiss. Tree Physiology 31: 1067–1075. , , , , , .
- the R Development Core Team. 2011. Nlme: linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. R package version 3.1-98. URL: http://cran.r-project.org/package=nlme. , , , ,
- 2012. Hydraulic limits preceding mortality in a piñon–juniper woodland under experimental drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1601–1617. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Xylem transport safety and efficiency differ among Fynbos shrub life history types and between two sites differing in mean rainfall. International Journal of Plant Sciences 173: 474–483. , , , .
- 2007. Life history type and water stress tolerance in nine California Chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Ecological Monographs 77: 239–253. , , , , , .
- 2008. Linkage between water stress tolerance and life history type in seedlings of nine chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Journal of Ecology 96: 1252–1265. , , , , .
- 2010. Xylem root and shoot hydraulics is linked to life history type in chaparral seedlings. Functional Ecology 24: 70–81. , , , , .
- 2011. Water-use strategies of six co-existing Mediterranean woody species during a summer drought. Oecologia 166: 45–57. , , , .
- 2012. Differences in morpho-physiological leaf traits reflect the response of growth to drought in a seeder but not in a resprouter Mediterranean species. Functional Plant Biology 39: 332–341. , , , .
- 2007. Leaf and shoot water content and leaf dry matter content of Mediterranean woody species with different post-fire regenerative strategies. Annals of Botany 99: 545–554. , .
- 2013. How to quantify conduits in wood? Frontiers in Plant Science 4: 1–11. , , , .
- 2004. Plant coexistence and the niche. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 605–611. .
- 1999. Regulation of water loss in populations of Populus trichocarpa: the role of stomatal control in preventing xylem cavitation. Tree Physiology 19: 453–459. , .
- 1998. Limitation of plant water use by rhizosphere and xylem conductance: results from a model. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 347–359. , , , .
- 2005. Plant evolution in the Mediterranean. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 1972. The measurement of the turgor pressure and the water relations of plants by the pressure-bomb technique. Journal of Experimental Botany 23: 267–282. , .
- 1995. Dynamic measurements of root hydraulic conductance using a high-pressure flowmeter in the laboratory and field. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 83–94. , , , .
- 2005. Evolutionary transition from resprouter to seeder life history in two Erica (Ericaceae) species: insights from seedling axillary buds. Annals of Botany 95: 593–599. , .
- 2007. Fire drives phylogenetic clustering in Mediterranean Basin woody plant communities. Journal of Ecology 95: 1316–1323. , .
- 2013. Syndrome-driven diversification in a Mediterranean ecosystem. Evolution 67: 1756–1766. , .
- 2003a. Cavitation, stomatal conductance, and leaf dieback in seedlings of two co-occurring Mediterranean shrubs during an intense drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2015–2024. , , , .
- 2003b. Suitability of drought-preconditioning techniques in Mediterranean climate. Restoration Ecology 11: 208–216. , , , .
- 2010. Are symplast tolerance to intense drought conditions and xylem vulnerability to cavitation coordinated? An integrated analysis of photosynthetic, hydraulic and leaf level processes in two Mediterranean drought-resistant species. Environmental and Experimental Botany 69: 233–242. , , , , , .
- 2008. Phylocom: software for the analysis of phylogenetic community structure and trait evolution. Bioinformatics 18: 2098–2100. , , .
- 2012. Diverse functional responses to drought in a Mediterranean-type shrubland in South Africa. New Phytologist 195: 396–407. , , , , , .
- 2013. Cutting xylem under tension or supersaturated with gas can generate PLC and the appearance of rapid recovery from embolism. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 1938–1949. , , , , .
- 2011. Genotypic variability and phenotypic plasticity of cavitation resistance in Fagus sylvatica L. across Europe. Tree Physiology 31: 1175–1182. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Angiosperm wood structure: global patterns in vessel anatomy and their relation to wood density and potential conductivity. American Journal of Botany 97: 207–215. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Fire frequency in southern California shrublands: biological effects and management options. In: Keeley JE, Scott T, eds. Brushfires in California: ecology and management. Washington, DC, USA: International Association of Wildland Fire Fairfield, 101–112. .
- 1981. Vessel-length distribution in some American woody plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 1882–1892. , .