UV-laser-based microscopic dissection of tree rings – a novel sampling tool for δ13C and δ18O studies
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 3, pages 1045–1055, February 2014
How to Cite
Schollaen, K., Heinrich, I. and Helle, G. (2014), UV-laser-based microscopic dissection of tree rings – a novel sampling tool for δ13C and δ18O studies. New Phytologist, 201: 1045–1055. doi: 10.1111/nph.12587
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 AUG 2013
- ISOWOOD-Breeding. Grant Number: 0315427B
- INDOPAL. Grant Number: HE3089/1-1
- CADY. Grant Number: 03G0813H
- 2010. Laser microdissection of conifer stem tissues: isolation and analysis of high quality RNA, terpene synthase enzyme activity and terpenoid metabolites from resin ducts and cambial zone tissue of white spruce (Picea glauca). BMC Plant Biology 10: 106. , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in δ13C and δ18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 2010. Variations of vessel diameter and δ13C in false rings of Arbutus unedo L. reflect different environmental conditions. New Phytologist 188: 1099–1112. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Rapid directional shift of mitochondrial DNA heteroplasmy in animal tissues by a mitochondrially targeted restriction endonuclease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 14 392–14 397. , , , , .
- 2012. Oxygen isotopes in tree rings are a good proxy for Amazon precipitation and El Niño-Southern Oscillation variability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 16 957–16 962. , , , , .
- 1928. Zur Anatomie und Physiologie der Zuwachszonen- und Jahresringbildung in den Tropen. Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg 38: 1–114. .
- 1957. Isotopic standards for carbon and oxygen and correction factors for mass-spectrometric analysis of carbon dioxide. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 12: 133–149. .
- 2002. Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507–559. , , , , .
- 2012. Discrete versus continuous analysis of anatomical and δ13C variability in tree rings with intra-annual density fluctuations. Trees 26: 513–524. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Robotic micromilling of tree-rings: a new tool for obtaining subseasonal environmental isotope records. Chemical Geology 252: 21–30. , , , .
- 1993. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. London, UK: Academic Press. , , .
- 2010. Fast response of Scots pine to improved water availability reflected in tree-ring width and δ13C. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1351–1360. , , , , , .
- 2004. A stable isotope-based approach to tropical dendroclimatology. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68: 3295–3305. , .
- 2000. Laser capture microdissection in pathology. Journal of Clinical Pathology 53: 666–672. , .
- 2010. Stable-carbon isotope time series from tropical tree rings indicate a precipitation signal. Tree-Ring Research 66: 35–49. , , .
- 2010. Studying global change through investigation of the plastic responses of xylem anatomy in tree rings. New Phytologist 185: 42–53. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Increment puncher – a tool for extracting small cores of wood and bark from living trees. Iawa Journal 21: 169–180. , , .
- 2010. The core-microtome: a new tool for surface preparation on cores and time series analysis of varying cell parameters. Dendrochronologia 28: 85–92. , .
- 2009. Stable carbon isotope ratios in tree rings of co-occurring species from semi-arid tropics in Africa: patterns and climatic signals. Global and Planetary Change 66: 253–260. , , , , .
- 2009. Tracing carbon and oxygen isotope signals from newly assimilated sugars in the leaves to the tree-ring archive. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 780–795. , , , , , .
- 1993. Correlations between the 13C content of primary and secondary plant products in different cell compartments and that in decomposing basidiomycetes. Plant Physiology 102: 1287–1290. , , , .
- 2006. A multi-species comparison of δ13C from whole wood, extractive-free wood and holocellulose. Tree Physiology 26: 767–774. , , .
- 2013. Winter-to-spring temperature dynamics in Turkey derived from tree rings since AD 1125. Climate Dynamics 41: 1685–1701. , , , , .
- 2004a. Beyond CO2-fixation by Rubisco – an interpretation of 13C/12C variations in tree rings from novel intra-seasonal studies on broad-leaf trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 367–380. , .
- 2004b. Interpreting climate proxies from tree-rings. In: Fischer H, Floeser G, Kumke T, Lohmann G, Miller H, Negendank JFW, von Storch H, eds. The KIHZ project: towards a synthesis of Holocene proxy data and climate models. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 129–148. , .
- 2011. Long-term change in the nitrogen cycle of tropical forests. Science 334: 664–666. , , , , , .
- IAEA/WMO 2006. Global Network of Isotopes in Precipitation. The GNIP Database. [WWW document] URL http://www.iaea.org/water. [accessed on 5 August 2013].
- 2013. Stable carbon isotope labeling reveals different carry-over effects between functional types of tropical trees in an Ethiopian mountain forest. New Phytologist 199: 431–440. , , , .
- 1993. Seasonal 13C/12C changes in tree rings: species and site coherence, and a possible drought influence. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 210–218. .
- 1982. Stable carbon isotopes as a potential supplemental tool in dendrochronology. Tree-Ring Bulletin 42: 49–55. , .
- 2013. Climate signals derived from cell anatomy of Scots pine in NE Germany. Tree Physiology 33: 833–844. , , , , , .
- 2003. Comparison of stable carbon isotope ratios in the whole wood, cellulose and lignin of oak tree-rings. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 196: 395–407. , , .
- 1995. High-resolution stable isotope analysis of tree rings: implications of “microdendroclimatology” for palaeoenvironmental research. The Holocene 5: 457–460. , , .
- 2010. Past break-monsoon conditions detectable by high resolution intra-annual δ18O analysis of teak rings. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L05702. , , , .
- 2006. Laser microdissection of plant tissue: what you see is what you get. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 181–201. , , , .
- NOAA 2013. National Weather Service. Historical El Niño/La Niña episodes (1950-present). [WWW document] URL http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ensoyears.shtml. [accessed on 5 August 2013].
- 2009. A single-substrate model to interpret intra-annual stable isotope signals in tree-ring cellulose. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1071–1090. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. High-resolution δ13C measurements of oak show a previously unobserved spring depletion. Geophysical Research Letters 21: 2373–2375. , .
- 2013. New star on the stage: amount of ray parenchyma in tree rings shows a link to climate. New Phytologist 198: 486–495. , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of anatomically non-distinct annual rings in tropical trees using stable isotopes. Trees - Structure and Function 25: 83–93. , .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination and wood anatomy variations in mixed stands of Quercus robur and Quercus petraea. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 861–868. , , , , , .
- 2004. Resolving seasonality in tropical trees: multi-decade, high-resolution oxygen and carbon isotope records from Indonesia and Thailand. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 218: 301–316. , , .
- 2009. Intra-annual variation in the stable oxygen and carbon isotope ratios of cellulose in tree rings of coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens). The Holocene 19: 189–197. , , .
- 2013. Tree-ring wood anatomy and stable isotopes show structural and functional adjustments in olive trees under different water availability. Plant and Soil 372: 567–579. , , , , , .
- 2006. Trephor: a new tool for sampling microcores from tree stems. Iawa Journal 27: 89–97. , , .
- 2012. A 300-year Vietnam hydroclimate and ENSO variability record reconstructed from tree ring δ18O. Journal of Geophysical Research 117: D12115. , , .
- 2013. Inter- and intra-annual stable carbon and oxygen isotope signals in response to drought in Mediterranean pines. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 168: 59–68. , , .
- 1999. Isotope signals as climate proxies: the role of transfer functions in the study of terrestrial archives. Quaternary Science Reviews 18: 927–943. , , , .
- 2011. GPCC Full Data Reanalysis Version 6.0 at 0.5°: monthly land-surface precipitation from rain-gauges built on GTS-based and historic data. doi: 10.5676/DWD_GPCC/FD_M_V6_050. Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC, http://gpcc.dwd.de/). , , , , , .
- 2013. Multiple tree-ring chronologies (ring width, δ13C and δ18O) reveal dry and rainy season signals of rainfall in Indonesia. Quaternary Science Reviews 73: 170–181. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Quantifying seasonal precipitation using high-resolution carbon isotope analyses in evergreen wood. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75: 7291–7303. , .
- 1956. Dendroclimatic change in semiarid America. Tuscon, AZ, USA: University of Arizona Press. .
- 2004. Laser ablation-combustion-GC-IRMS – a new method for online analysis of intra-annual variation of δ13C in tree rings. Tree Physiology 24: 1193–1201. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Inter-annual and seasonal variability of radial growth, wood density and carbon isotope ratios in tree rings of beech (Fagus sylvatica) growing in Germany and Italy. Trees-Structure and Function 20: 571–586. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The twentieth century was the wettest period in northern Pakistan over the past millennium. Nature 440: 1179–1182. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Intra-annual variability of anatomical structure and δ13C values within tree rings of spruce and pine in alpine, temperate and boreal Europe. Oecologia 161: 729–745. , , , , , .
- 2004. Annual cyclicity in high-resolution stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratios in the wood of the mangrove tree Rhizophora mucronata. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1525–1536. , , , , , .
- 1997. Seasonal changes in stable carbon isotope ratios within annual rings of Pinus radiata reflect environmental regulation of growth processes. Functional Plant Biology 24: 57–68. , , , .
- 2012. Progress and challenges in using stable isotopes to trace plant carbon and water relations across scales. Biogeosciences 9: 3083–3111. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Isoscapes: understanding movement, pattern, and process on Earth through isotope mapping. London, UK: Springer Science+Business Media B.V. , , , .
- 2011. A novel device for batch-wise isolation of α-cellulose from small-amount wholewood samples. Dendrochronologia 29: 115–117. , , , , .
- 1977. 12C/13C in cellulose and lignin as palaeothermometers. Nature 265: 133–135. , .
- 1999. Advances in micromilling techniques: a new apparatus for acquiring high-resolution oxygen and carbon stable isotope values and major/minor elemental ratios from accretionary carbonate. Computers & Geosciences 25: 1159–1166. , , .
- 1995. Stable isotopes in plant physiology and ecology. In: Behnke HD, Lüttge U, Esser K, Kadereit J, Runge M, eds. Progress in botany. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 1–24. .