These authors contributed equally to this work.
Nitrate reductase-mediated early nitric oxide burst alleviates oxidative damage induced by aluminum through enhancement of antioxidant defenses in roots of wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 4, pages 1240–1250, March 2014
How to Cite
Sun, C., Lu, L., Liu, L., Liu, W., Yu, Y., Liu, X., Hu, Y., Jin, C. and Lin, X. (2014), Nitrate reductase-mediated early nitric oxide burst alleviates oxidative damage induced by aluminum through enhancement of antioxidant defenses in roots of wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist, 201: 1240–1250. doi: 10.1111/nph.12597
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 OCT 2013
- National Basic Research Program (973 Program) of China. Grant Number: 2013CB127403
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31272237, 30771292
- Discipline of the Ministry of Education. Grant Number: 20120101110130
- 2008. Aluminium induced oxidative stress and DNA damage in root cells of Allium cepa L. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 70: 300–310. , , , .
- 2008. A role for brassinosteroids in the amelioration of aluminium stress through antioxidant system in mung bean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek). Environmental and Experimental Botany 62: 153–159. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transgenic Brassica napus plants overexpressing aluminium-induced mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase cDNA are resistant to aluminium. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1269–1278. , , .
- 2011. Mechanical wounding induces a nitrosative stress by down-regulation of GSNO reductase and an increase in S-nitrosothiols in sunflower (Helianthus annuus) seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1803–1813. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Nitric oxide acts downstream of auxin to trigger root ferric-chelate reductase activity in response to iron deficiency in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 154: 810–819. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Peroxisomes as a source of reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide signal molecules in plant cells. Trends in Plant Science 6: 145–150. , , .
- 2011. Nitric oxide imbalance provokes a nitrosative response in plants under abiotic stress. Plant Science 181: 604–611. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Aluminum tolerance in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) (II. Aluminum-stimulated excretion of malic acid from root apices). Plant Physiology 103: 695–702. , , .
- 2007. Only an early nitric oxide burst and the following wave of secondary nitric oxide generation enhanced effective defence responses of pelargonium to a necrotrophic pathogen. New Phytologist 175: 718–730. , , , , .
- 2012. Cross talk among calcium, hydrogen peroxide, and nitric oxide and activation of gene expression involving calmodulins and calcium-dependent protein kinases in Ulva compressa exposed to copper excess. Plant Physiology 158: 1451–1462. , , , , , .
- 2004. Role of an endogenous nitric oxide burst in the resistance of wheat to stripe rust. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 473–477. , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis nitric oxide synthase1 is targeted to mitochondria and protects against oxidative damage and dark-induced senescence. Plant Cell 17: 3436–3450. , .
- 2012. Nitric oxide improves aluminum tolerance by regulating hormonal equilibrium in the root apices of rye and wheat. Plant Science 183: 123–130. , , , .
- 2006. Aluminium toxicity in plants: internalization of aluminium into cells of the transition zone in Arabidopsis root apices related to changes in plasma membrane potential, endosomal behaviour, and nitric oxide production. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 4201–4213. , , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of abscisic acid on active oxygen species, antioxidative defence system and oxidative damage in leaves of maize seedlings. Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 1265–1273. , .
- 2011. NO synthase-generated NO acts downstream of auxin in regulating Fe-deficiency-induced root branching that enhances Fe-deficiency tolerance in tomato plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3875–3884. , , , , .
- 2006. Spatial coordination of aluminium uptake, production of reactive oxygen species, callose production and wall rigidification in maize roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1309–1318. , , , .
- 1987. Cation amelioration of aluminum toxicity in wheat. Plant Physiology 83: 546–551. , .
- 2004. How do crop plants tolerate acid soils? Mechanisms of aluminum tolerance and phosphorous efficiency. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 459–493. , , .
- 1990. Determination of carbonyl content in oxidatively modified proteins. Methods in Enzymology 186: 464–478. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Nitric oxide and protein S-nitrosylation are integral to hydrogen peroxide-induced leaf cell death in rice. Plant Physiology 158: 451–464. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase plays a pivotal role in nitric oxide-involved defense against oxidative stress under salt stress in red kidney bean roots. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 511–522. , , , , .
- 2012. Iron uptake system mediates nitrate-facilitated cadmium accumulation in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 3127–3136. , , , , , .
- 2007. Syndrome of aluminum toxicity and diversity of aluminum resistance in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 264: 225–252. .
- 2008. Transcriptional profiling of aluminum toxicity and tolerance responses in maize roots. New Phytologist 179: 116–128. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell biology of aluminum toxicity and tolerance in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 200: 1–46. .
- 2012. Oxidative stress is a consequence, not a cause, of aluminum toxicity in the forage legume Lotus corniculatus. New Phytologist 193: 625–636. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide signalling in plants. New Phytologist 159: 11–35. , , .
- 2001. Possible involvement of protein phosphorylation in aluminum-responsive malate efflux from wheat root apex. Plant Physiology 126: 411–420. , .
- 2003. Role of dynamics of intracellular calcium in aluminium-toxicity syndrome. New Phytologist 159: 295–314. , .
- 1998. Aluminum induces oxidative stress genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 116: 409–418. , , , , .
- 2009. Cellular response of pea plants to cadmium toxicity: cross talk between reactive oxygen species, nitric oxide, and calcium. Plant Physiology 150: 229–243. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A second mechanism for aluminum resistance in wheat relies on the constitutive efflux of citrate from roots. Plant Physiology 149: 340–351. , , , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide suppresses NADPH oxidase-dependent superoxide production by S-nitrosylation in human endothelial cells. Cardiovascular Research 75: 349–358. , , , , .
- 2004. Aluminium stimulated hydrogen peroxide production of germinating barley seeds. Environmental and Experimental Botany 51: 281–288. , , , .
- 2007. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) underlies aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Hibiscus moscheutos. New Phytologist 174: 322–331. , , , .
- 1985. Effect of paclobutrazol on the activities of some enzymes of activated oxygen metabolism and lipid peroxidation in senescing soybean leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 121: 453–461. , , , , .
- 2010. Nitrate reductase-dependent nitric oxide production is involved in aluminum tolerance in red kidney bean roots. Plant Science 179: 281–288. , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide reduces aluminum toxicity by preventing oxidative stress in the roots of Cassia tora L. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 1915–1923. , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide synthesis and signalling in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 622–631. , , .
- 2010. Nitric oxide is associated with long-term zinc tolerance in Solanum nigrum. Plant Physiology 154: 1319–1334. , , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide mediates the fungal elicitor-induced hypericin production of Hypericum perforatum cell suspension cultures through a jasmonic-acid-dependent signal pathway. Plant Physiology 139: 991–998. , , .
- 2002. Aluminum toxicity is associated with mitochondrial dysfunction and the production of reactive oxygen species in plant cells. Plant Physiology 128: 63–72. , , , , .
- 2001. Lipid peroxidation is an early symptom triggered by aluminum, but not the primary cause of elongation inhibition in pea roots. Plant Physiology 125: 199–208. , , .
- 2013. Comparative proteome analyses reveal that nitric oxide is an important signal molecule in the response of rice to aluminum toxicity. Journal of Proteome Research 12: 1316–1330. , , , , .
- 2011. S-nitrosylation of NADPH oxidase regulates cell death in plant immunity. Nature 478: 264–268. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide induced by hydrogen peroxide mediates abscisic acid-induced activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade involved in antioxidant defense in maize leaves. New Phytologist 175: 36–50. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Increased abscisic acid levels in transgenic tobacco over-expressing 9 cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase influence H2O2 and NO production and antioxidant defences. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 509–519. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in salt resistance in the calluses from two ecotypes of reed. Plant Physiology 134: 849–857. , , , , , .
- 2009. Nitric reductase-dependent nitric oxide production is involved in cold acclimation and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 755–767. , , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide is involved in abscisic acid-induced antioxidant activities in Stylosanthes guianensis. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3223–3228. , , , .
- 2012. Nitric oxide exacerbates Al-induced inhibition of root elongation in rice bean by affecting cell wall and plasma membrane properties. Phytochemistry 76: 46–51. , , , , .