Major quantitative trait loci control divergence in critical photoperiod for flowering between selfing and outcrossing species of monkeyflower (Mimulus)
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 4, pages 1498–1507, March 2014
How to Cite
Fishman, L., Sweigart, A. L., Kenney, A. M. and Campbell, S. (2014), Major quantitative trait loci control divergence in critical photoperiod for flowering between selfing and outcrossing species of monkeyflower (Mimulus). New Phytologist, 201: 1498–1507. doi: 10.1111/nph.12618
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 SEP 2013
- NSF. Grant Numbers: DEB-0846089, DEB-0918902
- University of Georgia Research Foundation
- Montana Integrative Learning Experience for Students (MILES)
- The University of Montana from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute—Undergraduate Science Education Program. Grant Number: 52005905
- 2009. What has natural variation taught us about plant development, physiology, and adaptation? Plant Cell 21: 1877–1896. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Seasonal and developmental timing of flowering. Plant Journal 61: 1001–1013. .
- 2012a. Phenotypic plasticity and adaptive evolution contribute to advancing flowering phenology in response to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 279: 3843–3852. , , , , .
- 2012b. Genetic trade-offs and conditional neutrality contribute to local adaptation. Molecular Ecology 22: 699–708. , , , , .
- 2012. The genetic basis of flowering responses to seasonal cues. Nature Reviews Genetics 13: 627–639. , .
- 2011. In the light of evolution: a reevaluation of conservation in the CO–FT regulon and its role in photoperiodic regulation of flowering time. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 81. , .
- 2010. The nuclear component of a cytonuclear hybrid incompatibility in Mimulus maps to a cluster of pentatricopeptide repeat genes. Genetics 184: 455–465. , .
- 2002. QTL Cartographer: a reference manual and tutorial for QTL mapping. Raleigh, NC, USA: Statistical Genetics, North Carolina State University. , , .
- 2011. Contributions of flowering time genes to sunflower domestication and improvement. Genetics 187: 271–287. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The role of recently derived FT paralogs in sunflower domestication. Current Biology 20: 629–635. , , , , .
- 2011. Rapid evolution caused by pollinator loss in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 65: 2541–2552. , .
- 2009. The genetic architecture of maize flowering time. Science 325: 714–718. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Hybrid male sterility in Mimulus (Phrymaceae) is associated with a geographically restricted mitochondrial rearrangement. Evolution 62: 1026–1039. , .
- 2012. Pleiotropy in the wild: the dormancy gene DOG1 exerts cascading control on life cycles. Evolution 67: 883–893. , , , , , .
- 2009. Major flowering time gene, FLOWERING LOCUS C, regulates seed germination in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 11661–11666. , , , , .
- 2001. A QTL for flowering time in Arabidopsis reveals a novel allele of CRY2. Nature Genetics 29: 435–440. , , .
- 2007. Time after time: flowering phenology and biotic interactions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 432–439. , , , , , .
- 2008. Toward the evolutionary genomics of gametophytic divergence: patterns of transmission ratio distortion in monkeyflower (Mimulus) hybrids reveal a complex genetic basis for conspecific pollen precedence. Evolution 62: 2958–2970. , , .
- 2001. A genetic map in the Mimulus guttatus species complex reveals transmission ratio distortion due to heterospecific interactions. Genetics 159: 1701–1716. , , , .
- 2002. Minor quantitative trait loci underlie floral traits associated with mating system divergence in Mimulus. Evolution 56: 2138–2155. , , .
- 2005. A novel meiotic drive locus almost completely distorts segregation in Mimulus (monkeyflower) hybrids. Genetics 169: 347–353. , .
- 2013. Comparative linkage maps suggest that fission, not polyploidy, underlies near-doubling of chromosome number within monkeyflowers (Mimulus; Phrymaceae). Heredity, in press. , , , .
- 2013. Major QTLs for critical photoperiod and vernalization underlie extensive variation in flowering in the Mimulus guttatus species complex. New Phytologist 199: 571–583. , .
- 2007. Case studies and mathematical models of ecological speciation. 2. Palms on an oceanic island. Molecular Ecology 16: 2910–2921. , .
- 2013. Genetic architecture of flowering time differentiation between locally adapted populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 197: 1321–1331. , , , , .
- 2010. Is local adaptation in Mimulus guttatus caused by trade-offs at individual loci? Molecular Ecology 19: 2739–2753. , , .
- 2006. Pleiotropic quantitative trait loci contribute to population divergence in traits associated with life-history variation in Mimulus guttatus. Genetics 172: 1829–1844. , , .
- 2006. Divergent selection on flowering time contributes to local adaptation in Mimulus guttatus populations. Evolution 60: 2466–2477. , .
- 2004. The molecular basis of diversity in the photoperiodic flowering responses of Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Physiology 135: 677–684. , .
- 2012. Tests for the joint evolution of mating system and drought escape in Mimulus. Annals of Botany 109: 583–598. , .
- 1978. Reproductive isolation in the Mimulus guttatus–M. nasutus complex. American Midland Naturalist 100: 269–276. , .
- 2012. Mutation in TERMINAL FLOWER1 reverses the photoperiodic requirement for flowering in the wild strawberry Fragaria vesca. Plant Physiology 159: 1043–1054. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Genetic basis of local adaptation and flowering time variation in Arabidopsis lyrata. Molecular Ecology 22: 709–723. , , , .
- 2012. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation among yellow monkeyflower populations from thermal and non-thermal soils in Yellowstone National Park. Oecologia 170: 111–122. , , , , , .
- 2009. Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform. Bioinformatics 25: 1754–1760. , .
- 2006. Multiple-interval mapping for ordinal traits. Genetics 173: 1649–1663. , , .
- 2010. A widespread chromosomal inversion polymorphism contributes to a major life-history transition, local adaptation, and reproductive isolation. PLoS Biology 8: e1000500. , .
- 2007. Ecological divergence associated with mating system causes nearly complete reproductive isolation between sympatric Mimulus species. Evolution 61: 68–82. , .
- 2013. The flowering repressor SVP underlies a novel Arabidopsis thaliana QTL interacting with the ggenetic background. PLoS Genetics 9: e1003289. , , .
- 2011. Altitudinal and climatic adaptation is mediated by flowering traits and FRI, FLC, and PHYC genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 157: 1942–1955. , , , , .
- 2012. Allotetraploid Mimulus sookensis are highly interfertile despite independent origins. Molecular Ecology 21: 5280–5298. , .
- 2013. The genetic basis of speciation in the Giliopsis lineage of Ipomopsis (Polemoniaceae). Heredity 111: 227–237. , , .
- 2013. Increased copy number at the HvFT1 locus is associated with accelerated flowering time in barley. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 288: 261–275. , , , , .
- 2010. An antagonistic pair of FT homologs mediates the control of flowering time in sugar beet. Science 330: 1397–1400. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The multifaceted roles of FLOWERING LOCUS T in plant development. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1742–1755. , .
- 2010. Speciation genes in plants. Annals of Botany 106: 439–455. , .
- 2007. Plant speciation. Science 317: 910–914. , .
- 2011. Genetic architecture of flowering-time variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 188: 421–433. , , , , , .
- 2010. The biology of speciation. Evolution 64: 295–315. , , , .
- 2006. A simple genetic incompatibility causes hybrid male sterility in Mimulus. Genetics 172: 2465–2479. , , .
- 2003. Patterns of nucleotide diversity are affected by mating system and asymmetric introgression in two species of Mimulus. Evolution 57: 2490–2506. , .
- 2012. A conserved molecular basis for photoperiod adaptation in two temperate legumes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 21158–21163. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Genetic and physiological bases for phenological responses to current and predicted climates. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 365: 3129–3147. , , , , , .
- 1992. Gibberellin is required for flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana under short days. Plant Physiology 100: 403–408. , , .
- 2008. Mimulus is an emerging model system for the integration of ecological and genomic studies. Heredity 100: 220–230. , , , , , .
- 2010. Natural variation for drought-response traits in the Mimulus guttatus species complex. Oecologia 162: 23–33. , , , .
- 2000. Hd1, a major photoperiod sensitivity quantitative trait locus in rice, is closely related to the Arabidopsis flowering time gene CONSTANS. Plant Cell 12: 2473–2483. , , .