Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 202, Issue 2, pages 640–650, April 2014
How to Cite
González-Teuber, M., Kaltenpoth, M. and Boland, W. (2014), Mutualistic ants as an indirect defence against leaf pathogens. New Phytologist, 202: 640–650. doi: 10.1111/nph.12664
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2013
- Max Planck Society
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 2012. Phytoalexins in defense against pathogens. Trends in Plant Science 17: 73–90. , , .
- 2003. Fungal endophytes limit pathogen damage in a tropical tree. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 15649–15654. , , , , , , .
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–15. .
- 2007. Plant physiology meets phytopathology: plant primary metabolism and plant-pathogen interactions. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 4019–4026. , , .
- 2009. Primary metabolism and plant defense-fuel for the fire. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22: 487–497. .
- 2009. Reactive oxygen species in plant-pathogen interactions. In: del Rio LA, Puppo A, eds. Reactive oxygen species in plant signaling. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 113–133. , .
- 1998. The contribution of ant-plant protection studies to our understanding of mutualism. Biotropica 30: 150–161. .
- 2001. The exploitation of mutualisms. Ecology Letters 4: 277–287. .
- 2009. Symbiont-mediated protection in insect hosts. Trends in Microbiology 17: 348–354. , .
- 2010a. PyNAST: a flexible tool for aligning sequences to a template alignment. Bioinformatics 26: 266–267. , , , , , .
- 2010b. QIIME allows analysis of high-throughput community sequencing data. Nature Methods 7: 335–336. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Quantitative synthesis of context dependency in ant-plant protection mutualisms. Ecology 90: 2384–2392. , .
- 2008. Strategies of a parasite of the ant-acacia mutualism. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 62: 953–962. , , , .
- 1999. Fungus-growing ants use antibiotic-producing bacteria to control garden parasites. Nature 398: 701–704. , , , .
- 1993. The evolutionary ecology of symbiotic ant plant relationships. Journal of Hymenoptera Research 2: 13–83. , .
- 2010. Search and clustering orders of magnitude faster than BLAST. Bioinformatics 26: 2460–2461. .
- 2009. Bacterial associates of arboreal ants and their putative functions in an obligate ant-plant mutualism. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 75: 4324–4332. , .
- 1991. Distribution of epiphytic bacteria on olive leaves and the influence of leaf age and sampling time. Microbial Ecology 21: 35–48. .
- 1998. The two partner ant–plant system of Camponotus (Colobopsis) sp.1 and Macaranga puncticulata (Euphorbiaceae): natural history of the exceptional ant partner. Insectes Sociaux 45: 1–16. , , .
- 1994. Herbivory and the long-lived leaves of an Amazonian ant-tree. Journal of Ecology 82: 833–842. .
- 2010. Novel lactic acid bacteria inhibiting Paenibacillus larvae in honey bee larvae. Apidologie 41: 99–108. , , , .
- 1999. The role of ant-tended extrafloral nectaries in the protection and benefit of a Neotropical rainforest tree. Oecologia 118: 192–202. , .
- 2010. Pseudomyrmex ants and Acacia host plants join efforts to protect their mutualism from microbial threats. Plant Signaling and Behavior 5: 890–892. , .
- 1982. Association of enhanced peroxidase activity with induced systemic resistance of cucumber to Colletotrichum lagenarium. Physiological Plant Pathology 20: 73–82. , , .
- 2008. Indirect defence via tritrophic interactions. New Phytologist 178: 41–61. .
- 2002. Extraction and quantification of “condensed tannins” as valuable measure of plant anti-herbivore defence? Revisiting an old problem. Naturwissenschaften 89: 519–524. , , , , .
- 1999. Reduced chitinase activities in ant plants of the genus Macaranga. Naturwissenschaften 86: 146–149. , , , .
- 2004. Evolutionary change from induced to constitutive expression of an indirect plant resistance. Nature 430: 205–208. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Protective ant–plant interactions as model systems in ecological and evolutionary research. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 34: 425–453. , .
- 2000. Low chitinase activity in Acacia myrmecophytes: a potential trade-off between biotic and chemical defences? Naturwissenschaften 87: 555–558. , , .
- 2000. Bacteria in the leaf ecosystem with emphasis on Pseudomonas syringae – a pathogen, ice nucleus, and epiphyte. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 64: 624–653. , .
- 2010. Both leaf properties and microbe-microbe interactions influence within-species variation in bacterial population diversity and structure in the lettuce (Lactuca species) phyllosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76: 8117–8125. , , , , .
- 2011. Protection of Arabidopsis thaliana against leaf-pathogenic Pseudomonas syringae by Sphingomonas strains in a controlled model system. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 3202–3210. , , .
- 2011. Bacterial diversity in Solenopsis invicta and Solenopsis geminata ant colonies characterized by 16S amplicon 454 pyrosequencing. Microbial Ecology 61: 821–831. , , , , , , , .
- 1966. Coevolution of mutualism between ants and acacias in Central America. Evolution 20: 249–275. .
- 1974. Swollen-thorn Acacias of Central America. Washington, DC, USA: Smithsonian Institution Press. .
- 1975. Pseudomyrmex nigropilosa: a parasite of a mutualism. Science 188: 936–937. .
- 2003. Ultraviolet radiation alters maize phyllosphere bacterial diversity. Microbial Ecology 45: 353–361. , .
- 2009. Actinobacteria as mutualists: general healthcare for insects? Trends in Microbiology 17: 529–535. .
- 2005. Symbiotic bacteria protect wasp larvae from fungal infestation. Current Biology 15: 475–479. , , , .
- 2009. How to prevent chaeting: a digestive specialization ties mutualistic plant-ants to their ant-plant partners. Evolution 63: 839–853. , , , .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 1998. Ants, stem-borers, and fungal pathogens: experimental tests of a fitness advantage in Piper ant-plants. Ecology 79: 593–603. .
- 2006. Cd-hit: a fast program for clustering and comparing large sets of protein or nucleotide sequences. Bioinformatics 22: 1658–1659. , .
- 2003. Microbiology of the phyllosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 1875–1883. , .
- 2007. Salicylic acid in plant defence – the players and protagonists. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 466–472. , .
- 2006. Significance of inducible defense-related proteins in infected plants. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44: 135–162. , , .
- 1999. The families of pathogenesis-related proteins, their activities, and comparative analysis of PR-1 type proteins. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 55: 85–97. , .
- 2001. Antibiotics produced by Bacillus bacteria. Chemistry of Natural Compounds 37: 117–123. , .
- 2007. Does having multiple partners weaken the benefits of facultative mutualism? A test with cacti and cactus-tending ants. Oikos 116: 500–512. .
- 2008. Chemical sorcery for sociality: exocrine secretions of ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Myrmecological News 11: 79–90. .
- 2006. Integrating quality and quantity of mutualistic service to contrast ant species protecting Ferocactus wislizeni. Ecology 87: 912–921. , , .
- 2003. Facultative bacterial symbionts in aphids confer resistance to parasitic wasps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 1803–1807. , , , .
- 1989. Determination of accurate extinction coefficients and simultaneous equations for assaying chlorophylls a and b extracted with four different solvents: verification of the concentration of chlorophyll standards by atomic absorption spectroscopy. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 107: 176–179. , , .
- 2004. Guards and thieves: antagonistic interactions between two ant species coexisting on the same ant-plant. Ecological Entomology 29: 345–352. , , , , .
- 2011. Elicitation of foliar resistance mechanisms transiently impairs root association with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Journal of Ecology 99: 36–45. , , , , , .
- 1985. A model relating the probability of foliar disease incidence to the population frequencies of bacterial plant pathogens. Phytopathology 75: 505–509. , , , .
- 2004. Ocurrence of the antibiotic producing bacterium Burkholderia sp. in colonies of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa. Fems Microbiology Letters 239: 319–323. , , , , .
- 2002. Cell polarization, a crucial process in fungal defence. Trends in Plant Science 7: 411–415. .
- 2006. Profiling of structurally labile oxylipins in plants by in situ derivatization with pentafluorobenzyl hydroxylamine. Analytical Biochemistry 348: 269–283. , , , , .
- 1995. Taxonomic revision of the ant-acacias (Fabaceae, Mimosoideae; Acacia, series Gummiferae) of the new world. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 82: 117–138. , .
- 1935. Ökologie der Lebensgemeinschaften mexikanischer Ameisenpflanzen. Zeitschrift für Morphologie und Ökologie der Tiere 29: 306–373. .
- 1999. Relationship between phyllosphere population sizes of Xanthomonas translucens pv translucens and bacterial leaf streak severity on wheat seedlings. Phytopathology 89: 131–135. , , .
- 2009. Powdery mildew-infection changes bacterial community composition in the phyllosphere. Microbes and Environment 24: 217–223. , , .
- 2011. Tag-encoded FLX amplicon pyrosequencing for the elucidation of microbial and functional gene diversity in any environment. Methods in Molecular Biology 733: 129–141. , , .
- 1992. Lactic acid bacteria in the control of plant pathogens. In: Wood BJB, ed. The lactic acid bacteria, vol. 1. London, UK: Elsevier Science Publishers, 193–210. , .
- 1986. Antagonism of lactic acid bacteria against phytopathogenic bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 52: 552–555. , , , .
- 2012. Microbial life in the phyllosphere. Nature Reviews Microbiology 10: 828–840. .
- 2007. Naive Bayesian classifier for rapid assignment of rRNA sequences into the new bacterial taxonomy. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 5261–5267. , , , .
- 1993. Systematic studies on Pseudomyrmex acacia-ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Pseudomyrmecinae). Journal of Hymenoptera Research 2: 117–168. .
- 2001. Microbial phyllosphere populations are more complex than previously realized. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 3889–3894. , , , .