Improving representation of leaf respiration in large-scale predictive climate–vegetation models
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 743–748, May 2014
How to Cite
Atkin, O. K., Meir, P. and Turnbull, M. H. (2014), Improving representation of leaf respiration in large-scale predictive climate–vegetation models. New Phytologist, 202: 743–748. doi: 10.1111/nph.12686
- Issue online: 10 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2014
- 2006. Heterogeneity of plant mitochondrial responses underpinning respiratory acclimation to the cold in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 940–949. , , , , .
- 2013. New Phytologist and the earth system. New Phytologist 199: 305–307. .
- 2011. Introduction to a Virtual Special Issue on plant respiration in variable environments. New Phytologist 191: 1–4. .
- 2008. Using temperature-dependent changes in leaf scaling relationships to quantitatively account for thermal acclimation of respiration in a coupled global climate–vegetation model. Global Change Biology 14: 2709–2726. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The hot and the cold: unraveling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2000. Leaf respiration of snow gum in the light and dark. Interactions between temperature and irradiance. Plant Physiology 122: 915–923. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant respiration in a changing world. New Phytologist 187: 268–272. , , .
- 2007. Respiration as a percentage of daily photosynthesis in whole plants is homeostatic at moderate, but not high, growth temperatures. New Phytologist 174: 367–380. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2013. Light inhibition of leaf respiration as soil fertility declines along a post-glacial chronosequence in New Zealand: an analysis using the Kok method. Plant and Soil 367: 163–182. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Impact of growth temperature on scaling relationships linking photosynthetic metabolism to leaf functional traits. Functional Ecology 24: 1181–1191. , , , , .
- 2011. Impacts of drought on leaf respiration in darkness and light in Eucalyptus saligna exposed to industrial-age atmospheric CO2 and growth temperature. New Phytologist 190: 1003. , , , .
- 2011. Rapid changes in δ13C of ecosystem-respired CO2 after sunset are consistent with transient 13C enrichment of leaf respired CO2. New Phytologist 190: 990–1002. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Estimating daytime ecosystem respiration from eddy-flux data. Biosystems 103: 309–313. , , , , , .
- 2007. Contributions to accelerating atmospheric CO2 growth from economic activity, carbon intensity, and efficiency of natural sinks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 18866–18870. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The Joint UK Land Environment Simulator (JULES), model description - Part 2: carbon fluxes and vegetation dynamics. Geoscientific Model Development 4: 701–722. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Description of the “TRIFFID” dynamic global vegetation model. Bracknell, UK: Hadley Centre, Met Office. .
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model. Nature 408: 184–187. , , , , .
- 1999. Acclimation of the respiration/photosynthesis ratio to temperature: insights from a model. Global Change Biology 5: 615–622. , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 2014. Moving beyond photosynthesis: from carbon source to sink-driven vegetation modeling. New Phytologist 201: 1086–1095. , , .
- 2012. Light-responsive metabolite and transcript levels are maintained following a dark-adaptation period in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 195: 136–148. , , , , , .
- 1960. Effect of temperature on respiration. In: Ruhland W, ed. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 234–258. .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 2012. Out of the light and into the dark: post-illumination respiratory metabolism. New Phytologist 195: 4–7. , .
- 2013. Bringing the Kok effect to light: a review on the integration of daytime respiration and net ecosystem exchange. Ecosphere 4: art98. , , , .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965–1978. , , , , .
- 2013. Simulated resilience of tropical rainforests to CO2-induced climate change. Nature Geoscience 6: 268–273. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1953. Plant respiration. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. .
- 2011.TRY – a global database of plant traits. Global Change Biology 17: 2905–2935. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Quantifying photosynthetic capacity and its relationship to leaf nitrogen content for global-scale terrestrial biosphere models. Global Change Biology 15: 976–991. , , , .
- 2006. Plant respiration in a warmer world. Science 312: 536–537. , , , , .
- 2013. Respiratory flexibility and efficiency are affected by simulated global change in Arctic plants. New Phytologist 197: 1161–1172. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Steps towards a mechanistic understanding of respiratory temperature responses. New Phytologist 189: 659–677. , , .
- 2009. Trends in the sources and sinks of carbon dioxide. Nature Geoscience 2: 831–836. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. How do we improve Earth system models? Integrating Earth system models, ecosystem models, experiments and long-term data. New Phytologist 191: 15–18. , .
- 2012. Fostering breakthrough research: a comparative study. Akademirapport. Stockholm, Sweden: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. , .
- 2013. High-resolution temperature responses of leaf respiration in snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) reveal high-temperature limits to respiratory function. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 1268–1284. , , , , , .
- 2010. Seasonal variation in foliar carbon exchange in Pinus radiata and Populus deltoides: respiration acclimates fully to changes in temperature but photosynthesis does not. Global Change Biology 16: 288–302. , , , .
- 2010. Forest annual carbon cost: a global-scale analysis of autotrophic respiration. Ecology 91: 652–661. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Leaf phosphorus influences the photosynthesis–nitrogen relation: a cross-biome analysis of 314 species. Oecologia 160: 207–212. , , .
- 1995. Foliar maintenance respiration of subalpine and boreal trees and shrubs in relation to nitrogen content. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 765–772. .
- 2011. Leaf respiration and alternative oxidase in field-grown alpine grasses respond to natural changes in temperature and light. New Phytologist 189: 1027–1039. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Response of Xanthium strumarium leaf respiration in the light to elevated CO2 concentration, nitrogen availability and temperature. New Phytologist 162: 377–386. , , , .
- 2013. Plant respiration and photosynthesis in global-scale models: incorporating acclimation to temperature and CO2. Global Change Biology 19: 45–63. , .
- 2012. Respiratory carbon fluxes in leaves. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 15: 308–314. , , , .
- 2000. Modelling the components of plant respiration: representation and realism. Annals of Botany 85: 55–67. , .
- 2001. Modelling respiration of vegetation: evidence for a general temperature-dependent Q10. Global Change Biology 7: 223–230. , , .
- 2005. Estimation of daytime ecosystem respiration to determine gross primary production of a mountain meadow. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 130: 13–25. , , , , .
- 2006. Irradiance, temperature and rainfall influence leaf dark respiration in woody plants: evidence from comparisons across 20 sites. New Phytologist 169: 309–319. , , , , , .
- 2013. Incorporating temperature-sensitive Q10 and foliar respiration acclimation algorithms modifies modeled ecosystem responses to global change. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 118: 77–90. , , .
- 2014. Evaluation of 11 terrestrial carbon–nitrogen cycle models against observations from two temperate Free-Air CO2 Enrichment studies. New Phytologist 202: 803–822. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Does growth irradiance affect temperature dependence and thermal acclimation of leaf respiration? Insights from a Mediterranean tree with long-lived leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 820–833. , , , , .