Environment sensing in spring-dispersed seeds of a winter annual Arabidopsis influences the regulation of dormancy to align germination potential with seasonal changes
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 929–939, May 2014
How to Cite
Footitt, S., Clay, H. A., Dent, K. and Finch-Savage, W. E. (2014), Environment sensing in spring-dispersed seeds of a winter annual Arabidopsis influences the regulation of dormancy to align germination potential with seasonal changes. New Phytologist, 202: 929–939. doi: 10.1111/nph.12694
- Issue online: 10 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2013
- UK Government
- Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- BBSRC. Grant Number: BB/I022201/1
- 2005. Nitrate, a signal relieving seed dormancy in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 500–512. , , , , , .
- 2012. Cold stratification and exogenous nitrates entail similar functional proteome adjustments during Arabidopsis seed dormancy release. Journal of Proteome Research 11: 5418–5432. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1972. Ecological life-cycle and physiological ecology of seed-germination of Arabidopsis thaliana. Canadian Journal of Botany 50: 353–360. , .
- 1983. Seasonal-changes in the germination responses of buried seeds of Arabidopsis-thaliana and ecological interpretation. Botanical Gazette 144: 540–543. , .
- 2011. Genome-wide network model capturing seed germination reveals coordinated regulation of plant cellular phase transitions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 9709–9714. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Modelling changes in dormancy in weed soil seed banks: implications for the prediction of weed emergence. In: Benech-Arnold R, Sanchez R, eds. Handbook of seed physiology: applications to agriculture. Oxford, UK: THRP, 245–264. , , .
- 2006. Cloning of DOG1, a quantitative trait locus controlling seed dormancy in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 17 042–17 047. , , , .
- 1993a. Annual changes in dormancy and germination in seeds of Sisymbrium officinale L. scop. New Phytologist 124: 179–191. , .
- 1993b. Seasonal periodicity in germination of seeds of Chenopodium album L. Annals of Botany 72: 463–473. , .
- 2006. Gene expression profiles of Arabidopsis Cvi seeds during dormancy cycling indicate a common underlying dormancy control mechanism. Plant Journal 46: 805–822. , , , .
- 2006. Gibberellin mobilizes distinct DELLA-dependent transcriptomes to regulate seed germination and floral development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 142: 509–525. , , , , .
- 2008. Seed after-ripening is a discrete developmental pathway associated with specific gene networks in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 53: 214–224. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transcriptional factor interaction: a central step in DELLA function. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 18: 295–303. , , .
- 2009. Phytochromes differentially regulate seed germination responses to light quality and temperature cues during seed maturation. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1297–1309. , , .
- 2013. Transcriptional dynamics of two seed compartments with opposing roles in Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Physiology 163: 205–215. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Identification of reference genes for RT-qPCR expression analysis in Arabidopsis and tomato seeds. Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 28–37. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Changing sensitivity to light and nitrate but not to gibberellins regulates seasonal dormancy patterns in Sisymbrium officinale seeds. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 469–479. , .
- 1994. Are seasonal dormancy patterns in Arabidopsis thaliana regulated by changes in seed sensitivity to light, nitrate and gibberellin. Annals of Botany 73: 129–136. , .
- 2009. Completing the cycle: maternal effects as the missing link in plant life histories. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 364: 1059–1074. .
- 2012. Maternal effects alter natural selection on phytochromes through seed germination. Journal of Ecology 100: 750–757. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Diversification of phytochrome contributions to germination as a function of seed-maturation environment. New Phytologist 177: 367–379. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Seed dormancy release in Arabidopsis Cvi by dry after-ripening, low temperature, nitrate and light shows common quantitative patterns of gene expression directed by environmentally specific sensing. Plant Journal 51: 60–78. , , , , .
- 2012. To germinate or not to germinate: a question of dormancy relief not germination stimulation. Seed Science Research 22: 243–248. , .
- 2006. Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist 171: 501–523. , .
- 2008. Molecular aspects of seed dormancy. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 387–415. , , , .
- 2011. Dormancy cycling in Arabidopsis seeds is controlled by seasonally distinct hormone-signaling pathways. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 20 236–20 241. , , , .
- 2011. Production of seed samples for the effective molecular analysis of dormancy cycling in Arabidopsis. In: Kermode A, ed. Seed dormancy. Methods in molecular biology. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 65–79. , .
- 2013. Temperature, light and nitrate sensing coordinate Arabidopsis seed dormancy cycling, resulting in winter and summer annual phenotypes. Plant Journal 74: 1003–1015. , , , , .
- 2010. Transcriptional diversification and functional conservation between DELLA proteins in Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 27: 1247–1256. , , , , , .
- 2012. Molecular mechanisms of seed dormancy. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1769–1786. , , , , .
- 2008. New roles of phytochromes during seed germination. International Journal of Plant Sciences 169: 531–540. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Dual effect of light on the gibberellin-stimulated and nitrate-stimulated seed-germination of Sisymbrium-officinale and Arabidopsis-thaliana. Plant Physiology 86: 591–597. , .
- 2009. Environmental change and the option value of genetic diversity. Trends in Plant Science 14: 51–58. , , .
- 2012. Maternal and zygotic temperature signalling in the control of seed dormancy and germination. Seed Science Research 22: S23–S29. , .
- 2009. The Arabidopsis abscisic acid catabolic gene CYP707A2 plays a key role in nitrate control of seed dormancy. Plant Physiology 149: 949–960. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Regulation of seed germination in the close Arabidopsis relative Lepidium sativum: a global tissue-specific transcript analysis. Plant Physiology 155: 1851–1870. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. The time required for dormancy release in Arabidopsis is determined by DELAY OF GERMINATION1 protein levels in freshly harvested seeds. Plant Cell 24: 2826–2838. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. A wheat homolog of MOTHER OF FT AND TFL1 acts in the regulation of germination. The Plant Cell 23: 3215–3229. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Abscisic acid and the control of seed dormancy and germination. Seed Science Research 20: 55–67. , , , , , .
- 2009. Genome-wide analysis of genes targeted by PHYTOCHROME INTERACTING FACTOR 3-LIKE5 during seed germination in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 403–419. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Climate change and bet-hedging: interactions between increased soil temperatures and seed bank persistence. Global Change Biology 15: 2375–2386. , , .
- 2005. Cold and light control seed germination through the bHLH transcription factor SPATULA. Current Biology 15: 1998–2006. , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ABA INSENSITIVE4 regulates lipid mobilization in the embryo and reveals repression of seed germination by the endosperm. Plant Cell 18: 1887–1899. , , , , .
- 2004. The effect of α-amanitin on the Arabidopsis seed proteome highlights the distinct roles of stored and neosynthesized mRNAs during germination. Plant Physiology 134: 1598–1613. , , , , , .
- 1976. Germination characteristics and their inter- and intra-population variability in Arabidopsis. Arabidopsis Information Service 13. URL: http://www.arabidopsis.org/ais/1976/ratcl-1976-aabdj.html. .
- 2008. Normalisation of real-time RT-PCR gene expression measurements in Arabidopsis thaliana exposed to increased metal concentrations. Planta 227: 1343–1349. , , , , , .
- 2013. ABI4 regulates primary seed dormancy by regulating the biogenesis of abscisic acid and gibberellins in Arabidopsis. Plos Genetics 9: 1343–1349. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003577 , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Differential control of seed primary dormancy in Arabidopsis ecotypes by the transcription factor SPATULA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 110: 10 866–10 871. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Members of the gibberellin receptor gene family GID1 (GIBBERELLIN INSENSITIVE DWARF1) play distinct roles during Lepidium sativum and Arabidopsis thaliana seed germination. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 5131–5147. , , , .
- 2010. MOTHER OF FT AND TFL1 regulates seed germination through a negative feedback loop modulating ABA signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 22: 1733–1748. , , , .