Functional and phylogenetic diversity of woody plants drive herbivory in a highly diverse forest
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 864–873, May 2014
How to Cite
Schuldt, A., Assmann, T., Bruelheide, H., Durka, W., Eichenberg, D., Härdtle, W., Kröber, W., Michalski, S. G. and Purschke, O. (2014), Functional and phylogenetic diversity of woody plants drive herbivory in a highly diverse forest. New Phytologist, 202: 864–873. doi: 10.1111/nph.12695
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2013
- German Research Foundation. Grant Numbers: DFG FOR 891/1, 891/2
- National Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 30710103907, 30930005
- 2006. Plant defense syndromes. Ecology 87: S132–S149. , .
- 2009. Associational resistance and associational susceptibility: having right or wrong neighbors. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 40: 1–20. , , , , , .
- 2013. Linear mixed-effects models using Eigen and S4. R package version 1.0-5. [WWW document] URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 [accessed 30 November 2013]. , , , .
- 2013. Maintenance of constant functional diversity during secondary succession of a subtropical forest in China. Journal of Vegetation Science. doi:10.1111/jvs.12114. , , , , .
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24: 127–135. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Forests and climate change: forcings, feedbacks, and the climate benefits of forests. Science 320: 1444–1449. .
- 2011. Community assembly during secondary forest succession in a Chinese subtropical forest. Ecological Monographs 81: 25–41. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 2013. Single-trait functional indices outperform multi-trait indices in linking environmental gradients and ecosystem services in a complex landscape. Journal of Ecology 101: 9–17. , .
- 2009. Using phylogenetic, functional and trait diversity to understand patterns of plant community productivity. PLoS ONE 4: e5695. , , , .
- 2012. Biodiversity loss and its impact on humanity. Nature 486: 59–67. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Herbivores can select for mixed defensive strategies in plants. New Phytologist 197: 576–585. , .
- 2011. Plant traits that predict resistance to herbivores. Functional Ecology 25: 358–367. , , .
- 2013. Effects of plant phylogenetic diversity on herbivory depend on herbivore specialization. Journal of Applied Ecology. doi:10.1111/1365-2664.12175. , , , .
- 2009. The merging of community ecology and phylogenetic biology. Ecology Letters 12: 693–715. , , , .
- 2010. Community-level consequences of density dependence and habitat association in a subtropical broad-leaved forest. Ecology Letters 13: 695–704. , , , , , .
- 1996. Herbivory and plant defenses in tropical forests. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27: 305–335. , .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Spatial mismatch and congruence between taxonomic, phylogenetic and functional diversity: the need for integrative conservation strategies in a changing world. Ecology Letters 13: 1030–1040. , , , , , .
- 2013. An experimental framework to identify community functional components driving ecosystem processes and services delivery. Journal of Ecology 101: 29–37. , , , , , .
- 2007. Incorporating plant functional diversity effects in ecosystem service assessments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 20684–20689. , , , , , .
- 2013. Phylogenetic diversity of plants alters the effect of species richness on invertebrate herbivory. PeerJ 1: e93. .
- 1987. Radial diffusion method for determining tannin in plant extracts. Journal of Chemical Ecology 13: 437–449. .
- 2009. Biodiversity in a complex world: consolidation and progress in functional biodiversity research. Ecology Letters 12: 1405–1419. , .
- 2008. Study on successions sequence of evergreen broad-leaved forest in Gutian mountain of Zhejiang, eastern China: species diversity. Frontiers of Biology in China 3: 45–49. , .
- 2013. Plant functional traits reveal the relative contribution of habitat and food preferences to the diet of grasshoppers. Oecologia 173: 1459–1470. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Tree diversity reduces herbivory by forest insects. Ecology Letters 10: 835–848. , .
- 2009. Evolution in plant populations as a driver of ecological changes in arthropod communities. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B–Biological Sciences 364: 1593–1605. , , .
- 2010. Neighbors affect resistance to herbivory – a new mechanism. New Phytologist 186: 565–566. .
- 2010. Tissue-level leaf toughness, but not lamina thickness, predicts sapling leaf lifespan and shade tolerance of tropical tree species. New Phytologist 186: 708–721. , .
- 2012. Leaf trait–environment relationships in a subtropical broadleaved forest in south-east China. PLoS ONE 7: e35742. , , , , .
- 2012. Predicting invertebrate herbivory from plant traits: evidence from 51 grassland species in experimental monocultures. Ecology 93: 2674–2682. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Predicting invertebrate herbivory from plant traits: polycultures show strong nonadditive effects. Ecology 94: 1499–1509. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evidence that niche specialization explains species–energy relationships in lake fish communities. Journal of Animal Ecology 77: 285–296. , , , , .
- 2013. Phylogenetic tree of the tree species found in the CSPs. [WWW document] URL http://china.befdata.biow.uni-leipzig.de/datasets/240 [accessed 20 September 2013]. , .
- 2011. Functional structure of biological communities predicts ecosystem multifunctionality. PLoS ONE 6: e17476. , , , .
- 2012. The functions of biological diversity in an age of extinction. Science 336: 1401–1406. , , .
- 2011. Phylogenetic distance can predict susceptibility to attack by natural enemies. Oikos 120: 1327–1334. , , .
- 2012. Insects on plants: explaining the paradox of low diversity within specialist herbivore guilds. American Naturalist 179: 351–362. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Phylogenetic density dependence and environmental filtering predict seedling mortality in a tropical forest. Ecology Letters 15: 34–41. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Phylogenetic isolation increases plant success despite increasing susceptibility to generalist herbivores. Diversity and Distributions 18: 1–9. , , , .
- 2011. Measuring biodiversity to explain community assembly: a unified approach. Biological Reviews 86: 792–812. , .
- 2003. Leaf traits and herbivore selection in the field and in cafeteria experiments. Austral Ecology 28: 642–650. , , , , , .
- 2003. Dietary shift and lowered biomass gain of a generalist herbivore in species-poor experimental plant communities. Oecologia 135: 234–241. , , .
- 2009. Causes and consequences of variation in leaf mass per area (LMA): a meta-analysis. New Phytologist 182: 565–588. , , , , .
- 2004. Leaf traits and herbivory rates of tropical tree species differing in successional status. Plant Biology 6: 746–754. , , , .
- 2013. Contrasting changes in taxonomic, phylogenetic and functional diversity during a long-term succession: insights into assembly processes. Journal of Ecology 101: 857–866. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Neighborhood and community interactions determine the spatial pattern of tropical tree seedling survival. Ecology 88: 2248–2258. , , , .
- 1982. Diversity and dissimilarity coefficients: a unified approach. Theoretical Population Biology 21: 24–43. .
- 2009. Emerging horizons in biodiversity and ecosystem functioning research. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24: 505–514. , , , .
- 2011. CWM and Rao's quadratic diversity: a unified framework for functional ecology. Oecologia 167: 181–188. , .
- 2009. Is there a latitudinal gradient in the importance of biotic interactions? Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 40: 245–269. , , , , .
- 2010. Bottom-up effects of plant diversity on multitrophic interactions in a biodiversity experiment. Nature 468: 553–556. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A user's guide to functional diversity indices. Ecological Monographs 80: 469–484. , , , .
- 2008. Herbivory from individuals to ecosystems. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 39: 133–152. .
- 2012. Insect herbivore effects on forest ecosystem services. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 31: 518–536. .
- 2010. Tree diversity promotes insect herbivory in subtropical forests of south-east China. Journal of Ecology 98: 917–926. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Plant traits affecting herbivory on tree recruits in highly diverse subtropical forests. Ecology Letters 15: 732–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Phylogenetic diversity and the functioning of ecosystems. Ecology Letters 15: 637–648. , , , , .
- 2012. Enemies maintain hyperdiverse tropical forests. American Naturalist 179: 303–314. .
- 2003. Food-web constraints on biodiversity–ecosystem functioning relationships. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 14949–14954. , .
- 2011. Measuring phylogenetic biodiversity. In: Magurran AE, McGill BJ, eds. Biological diversity: frontiers in measurement and assessment. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press, 194–207. , , , .
- 2002. Phylogenies and community ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 475–505. , , , .
- 2006. Phylodiversity-dependent seedling mortality, size structure, and disease in a Bornean rain forest. Ecology 87: S123–S131. , , .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , , .
- 2012. Little strokes fell great oaks: minor but chronic herbivory substantially reduces birch growth. Oikos 121: 2036–2043. , , .