Seed dispersal in time can counteract the effect of gene flow between natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 1043–1054, May 2014
How to Cite
Falahati-Anbaran, M., Lundemo, S. and Stenøien, H. K. (2014), Seed dispersal in time can counteract the effect of gene flow between natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 202: 1043–1054. doi: 10.1111/nph.12702
- Issue online: 10 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 OCT 2013
- the Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 10298100
- 2012. Reciprocal transplants demonstrate strong adaptive differentiation of the model organism Arabidopsis thaliana in its native range. New Phytologist 194: 1112–1122. , .
- 2006. Distribution of genetic variation within and among local populations of Arabidopsis thaliana over its species range. Molecular Ecology 15: 1405–1418. , , , , , .
- 2007. Evidence of local adaptation to coarse-grained environmental variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 61: 2419–2432. , , , .
- 2008. Native range genetic variation in Arabidopsis thaliana is strongly geographically structured and reflects Pleistocene glacial dynamics. Molecular Ecology 17: 902–915. , , .
- 1998. Genetic variation within and among populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 148: 1311–1323. , , , .
- 2010. Local-scale patterns of genetic variability, outcrossing, and spatial structure in natural stands of Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 6: e1000890. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Evolutionary ecology of seed-bank annuals in temporally varying environments. American Naturalist 127: 31–47. , .
- 2000. Long-distance seed dispersal in plant populations. American Journal of Botany 87: 1217–1227. , , .
- 2011. Whole-genome sequencing of multiple Arabidopsis thaliana populations. Nature Genetics 43: 956–963. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153: 1989–2000. , , , , .
- 1994. Factors influencing the genetic structure of Phacelia dubia, a species with a seed bank and large fluctuations in population size. Heredity 72: 446–458. .
- 1993. Population genetic consequences of small population size: implications for plant conservation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 217–242. , .
- 1960. The breeding group and seed storage: a study in population dynamics. Evolution 14: 238–255. , , .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics 1: 47–50. , , .
- 2011. Genetic consequences of seed banks in the perennial herb Arabidopsis lyrata subsp. petraea (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 98: 1475–1485. , , , .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164: 1567–1587. , , .
- 2011. Dormancy cycling in Arabidopsis seeds is controlled by seasonally distinct hormone-signaling pathways. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 20236–20241. , , , .
- 2008. Demographic history of European populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 4: e1000075. , , , .
- 2011. Temporal variation in genetic diversity and effective population size of Mediterranean and subalpine Arabidopsis thaliana populations. Molecular Ecology 20: 3540–3554. , , , .
- 2010. Genome wide analyses reveal little evidence for adaptive evolution in many plant species. Molecular Biology and Evolution 27: 1822–1832. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices. [WWW document] URL http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm. Updated from Goudet (1995) [accessed 23 April 2008]. .
- 1988. Rate of evolution slowed by a dormant propagule pool. Nature 336: 239–242. , .
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396: 41–49. .
- 1994. Metapopulation dynamics and genetics. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 25: 167–188. , .
- 2007. Genetic diversity of the natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana in China. Heredity 99: 423–431. , , , , , .
- 2002. Biogeography of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. (Brassicaceae). Journal of Biogeography 29: 125–134. .
- 2008. Can a seed bank maintain the genetic variation in the above ground plant population? Oikos 117: 1–5. , , , , .
- 2009. Temporal and spatial genetic variation in a metapopulation of the annual Erysimum cheiranthoides on stony river banks. Journal of Ecology 97: 131–141. , , , , .
- 1982. Ecology of seed dispersal. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 201–228. , .
- 2011. The Arabidopsis lyrata genome sequence and the basis of rapid genome size change. Nature Genetics 43: 476–481. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The earliest stages of adaptation in an experimental plant population: strong selection on QTLS for seed dormancy. Molecular Ecology 19: 1335–1351. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. A metapopulation perspective in plant population biology. Journal of Ecology 84: 461–469. , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal variation in population size of Eichhornia paniculata in ephemeral habitats: implications for metapopulation dynamics. Journal of Ecology 86: 1021–1031. , .
- 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measures: inferring the relative influences of gene flow and drift on the distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53: 1898–1914. , .
- 2006. Spatiotemporal structure of genetic variation of a spreading plant metapopulation on dynamic riverbanks along the Meuse River. Heredity 96: 471–478. , , , .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23: 1801–1806. , .
- 2004. Neutral genetic variation among wild North American populations of the weedy plant Arabidopsis thaliana is not geographically structured. Molecular Ecology 13: 3403–3413. , .
- 2001. Coalescent theory for seed bank models. Journal of Applied Probability 38: 285–300. , , .
- 2012. Genetic basis of adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: local adaptation at the seed dormancy QTL DOG1. Evolution 66: 2287–2302. , , , , .
- 2002. Parallel patterns of sequence variation within and between populations at three loci of Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Biology and Evolution 19: 2030–2034. , , .
- 2001. Evolution of genetic diversity in metapopulations: Arabidopsis thaliana as an experimental model. Genetics, Selection, Evolution 33: S399–S423. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Variation at two flowering time genes within and among populations of Arabidopsis thaliana: comparison with markers and traits. Molecular Ecology 14: 4181–4192. .
- 1969. Some demographic and genetic consequences of environmental heterogeneity for biological control. Bulletin of the Entomological Society of America 15: 237–240. .
- 2010. Extremely low genetic variability and highly structured local populations of Arabidopsis thaliana at higher latitudes. Molecular Ecology 19: 4753–4764. , , .
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25: 1451–1452. , .
- 2010. Molecular studies of genetic structuring and demography in Arabidopsis from Northern Europe. PhD thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim, Norway. .
- 2009. Seed banks cause elevated generation times and effective population sizes of Arabidopsis thaliana in northern Europe. Molecular Ecology 18: 2798–2811. , , .
- 1980. Genetic variability and effective population size when local extinction and recolonization of subpopulations are frequent. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 77: 6710–6714. , .
- 1995. Local founding events as determinants of genetic structure in a plant metapopulation. Heredity 75: 630–636. , , .
- 2006. Genetic mechanisms and evolutionary significance of natural variation in Arabidopsis. Nature 441: 947–952. , .
- 2009. Demographic and genetic patterns of variation among populations of Arabidopsis thaliana from contrasting native environments. PLoS ONE 4: e7213. , , , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis thaliana populations show clinal variation in a climatic gradient associated with altitude. New Phytologist 189: 282–294. , , , .
- 2012. The time required for dormancy release in Arabidopsis is determined by DELAY OF GERMINATION1 protein levels in freshly harvested seeds. Plant Cell 24: 2826–2838. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Accuracy of estimated phylogenetic trees from molecular data. Journal of Molecular Evolution 19: 153–170. , , .
- 2003. Correcting for ascertainment biases when analyzing SNP data: applications to the estimation of linkage disequilibrium. Theoretical Population Biology 63: 245–255. , .
- 2005. The pattern of polymorphism in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 3: 1289–1299. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The effective size of annual plant populations: the interaction of a seed bank with fluctuating population size in maintaining genetic variation. American Naturalist 160: 195–204. .
- 2010. The rate and molecular spectrum of spontaneous mutations in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 327: 92–94. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Evidence for a large-scale population structure among accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana: possible causes and consequences for the distribution of linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology 15: 1507–1517. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Molecular Ecology 13: 55–65. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of metapopulation processes on measures of genetic diversity. Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences 355: 1851–1864. , .
- 2013. Evolution in subdivided plant populations: concepts, recent advances and future directions. New Phytologist 201: 417–432. , .
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6: 288–295. , .
- 2008. Natural genetic variation of Arabidopsis thaliana is geographically structured in the Iberian peninsula. Genetics 180: 1009–1021. , , , .
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity 95: 536–539. , , , , , .
- 2010. The scale of population structure in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 6: e1000843. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Genotyping errors: causes, consequences and solutions. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 847–859. , , , .
- 2010. Documentation for structure software: Version 2.3. [WWW document] URL http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html [accessed 2 February 2010]. , , .
- 2008. genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8: 103–106. .
- 2006. Evidence for a large-scale population structure of Arabidopsis thaliana from genome-wide single nucleotide polymorphism markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 1104–1114. , , , , , .
- 2003. Large-scale identification and analysis of genome-wide single-nucleotide polymorphisms for mapping in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genome Research 13: 1250–1257. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic isolation by distance in Arabidopsis thaliana: biogeography and postglacial colonization of Europe. Molecular Ecology 9: 2109–2118. , , .
- 1999. Landscape approaches to historical and contemporary gene flow in plants. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14: 219–224. , , , .
- 2005. Genetic variability in natural populations of Arabidopsis thaliana in northern Europe. Molecular Ecology 14: 137–148. , , , .
- 1999. Genetic structure in three haploid peat mosses (Sphagnum). Heredity 82: 391–400. , .
- 2003. Estimating recombination rates from population-genetic data. Nature Reviews Genetics 4: 959–968. , .
- 2011. Inference of seed bank parameters in two wild tomato species using ecological and genetic data. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 17052–17057. , , , , .
- 1979. Evolutionary consequences of seed pools. American Naturalist 114: 232–249. , .
- 2003. Establishment of a high-efficiency SNP-based framework marker set for Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 36: 122–140. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The selective interactions of dispersal, dormancy, and seed size as adaptations for reducing risk in variable environments. American Naturalist 131: 360–384. , .
- 2008. Do cities export biodiversity? Traffic as dispersal vector across urban–rural gradients. Diversity and Distributions 14: 18–25. , .
- 1988. Extinction and recolonization: their effects on the genetic differentiation of local populations. Evolution 42: 995–1005. , .
- 2002. Closing the seed dispersal loop. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17: 379–386. , .
- 2012. Natural variation in Arabidopsis: from molecular genetics to ecological genomics. Plant Physiology 158: 2–22. .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. , .
- 1997. The effective size of a subdivided population. Genetics 146: 427–441. , .
- 1999. Indirect measures of gene flow and migration: FST≠1/(4Nm+1). Heredity 82: 117–125. , .
- 1931. Evolution in mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159. .
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Annals of Eugenics 15: 323–354. .
- 2012. Germ banks affect the inference of past demographic events. Molecular Ecology 21: 5434–5446. , .