Expansion of banana (Musa acuminata) gene families involved in ethylene biosynthesis and signalling after lineage-specific whole-genome duplications
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2014
© 2014 CIRAD New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 986–1000, May 2014
How to Cite
Jourda, C., Cardi, C., Mbéguié-A-Mbéguié, D., Bocs, S., Garsmeur, O., D'Hont, A. and Yahiaoui, N. (2014), Expansion of banana (Musa acuminata) gene families involved in ethylene biosynthesis and signalling after lineage-specific whole-genome duplications. New Phytologist, 202: 986–1000. doi: 10.1111/nph.12710
- Issue online: 10 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 AUG 2013
- Centre de coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Développement (CIRAD)
- 1999. EIN2, a bifunctional transducer of ethylene and stress responses in Arabidopsis. Science 284: 2148–2152. , , , , .
- 2003a. Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301: 653–657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003b. Five components of the ethylene-response pathway identified in a screen for weak ethylene-insensitive mutants in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 2992–2997. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Ethylene-induced stabilization of ETHYLENE INSENSITIVE3 and EIN3-LIKE1 is mediated by proteasomal degradation of EIN3 binding F-box 1 and 2 that requires EIN2 in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 22: 2384–2401. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Towards the understanding of the cocoa transcriptome: production and analysis of an exhaustive dataset of ESTs of Theobroma cacao L. generated from various tissues and under various conditions. BMC Genomics 9: 512. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The copper transporter RAN1 is essential for biogenesis of ethylene receptors in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285: 37263–37270. , , .
- 2007. The Arabidopsis EIN3 binding F-box proteins EBF1 and EBF2 have distinct but overlapping roles in ethylene signaling. Plant Cell 19: 509–523. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Dosage-dependent gene regulation in multicellular eukaryotes: implications for dosage compensation, aneuploid syndromes, and quantitative traits. Developmental Biology 234: 275–288. , , , .
- 2007. The gene balance hypothesis: from classical genetics to modern genomics. Plant Cell 19: 395–402. , .
- 2011. Protein–protein and protein–DNA dosage balance and differential paralog transcription factor retention in polyploids. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 64. , .
- 2003. A recent polyploidy superimposed on older large-scale duplications in the Arabidopsis genome. Genome Research 13: 137–144. , , .
- 2004. Functional divergence of duplicated genes formed by polyploidy during Arabidopsis evolution. Plant Cell 16: 1679–1691. , .
- 2003. Unravelling angiosperm genome evolution by phylogenetic analysis of chromosomal duplication events. Nature 422: 433–438. , , , .
- 1965. Relationship between ethylene production and ripening in bananas. Botanical Gazette 126: 200–204. , .
- 1997. Activation of the ethylene gas response pathway in Arabidopsis by the nuclear protein ETHYLENE-INSENSITIVE3 and related proteins. Cell 89: 1133–1144. , , , , , .
- 2011. Validation of reference genes for RT-qPCR studies of gene expression in banana fruit under different experimental conditions. Planta 234: 377–390. , , , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of transcriptional profiles of MA-ACS1 and MA-ACO1 genes in response to ethylene, auxin, wounding, cold and different photoperiods during ripening in banana fruit. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 1865–1878. , , .
- 2000. Response to Xanthomonas campestris pv.vesicatoria in tomato involves regulation of ethylene receptor gene expression. Plant Physiology 123: 81–92. , , , , , .
- 2011. Comparative evolution of photosynthetic genes in response to polyploid and nonpolyploid duplication. Plant Physiology 155: 2081–2095. , , , .
- 2007. When gene marriages don't work out: divorce by subfunctionalization. Trends in Genetics 23: 270–272. , .
- 2012. The banana (Musa acuminata) genome and the evolution of monocotyledonous plants. Nature 488: 213–217. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Effect of ethylene treatment on ethylene production, EFE activity and ACC levels in peel and pulp of banana fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology 4: 167–177. , .
- 2013. The banana genome hub. Database 2013: bat035. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. OryGenesDB 2008 update: database interoperability for functional genomics of rice. Nucleic Acids Research 37: D992–D995. , , , .
- 1999. Preservation of duplicate genes by complementary, degenerative mutations. Genetics 151: 1531–1545. , , , , , .
- 2009. Bias in plant gene content following different sorts of duplication: tandem, whole-genome, segmental, or by transposition. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 433–453. .
- 2006. Gene-balanced duplications, like tetraploidy, provide predictable drive to increase morphological complexity. Genome Research 16: 805–814. , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis EIN3-binding F-box 1 and 2 form ubiquitin-protein ligases that repress ethylene action and promote growth by directing EIN3 degradation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 6803–6808. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Application of 1-MCP and propylene to identify ethylene-dependent ripening processes in mature banana fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology 14: 87–98. , , , .
- 2010. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML 3.0. Systematic Biology 59: 307–321. , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant responses to ethylene gas are mediated by SCFEBF1/EBF2-dependent proteolysis of EIN3 transcription factor. Cell 115: 667–677. , .
- 2012. Expression profiles of a MhCTR1 gene in relation to banana fruit ripening. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 56: 47–55. , , .
- 2007. Differential feedback regulation of ethylene biosynthesis in pulp and peel tissues of banana fruit. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1047–1057. , , , , , , .
- 2012. A genome triplication associated with early diversification of the core eudicots. Genome Biology 13: R3. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The pathway tools software. Bioinformatics 18: S225–S232. , , .
- 2008. Recent developments in the MAFFT multiple sequence alignment program. Briefings in Bioinformatics 9: 286–298. , .
- 1993. CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the Raf family of protein kinases. Cell 72: 427–441. , , , , .
- 2002. The tomato ethylene receptor gene family: form and function. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 336–341. , .
- 2008. Ethylene signaling in Arabidopsis involves feedback regulation via the elaborate control of EBF2 expression by EIN3. Plant Journal 55: 821–831. , .
- 2009. A prominent role for segmental duplications in modeling eukaryotic genomes. Comptes Rendus Biologies 332: 254–266. , .
- 2009. Circos: an information aesthetic for comparative genomics. Genome Research 19: 1639–1645. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Molecular characterization of two banana ethylene signaling component MaEBFs during fruit ripening. Postharvest Biology and Technology 85: 94–101. , , , , , .
- 2008. An improved general amino-acid replacement matrix. Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 1307–1320. , .
- 2013. PGDD: a database of gene and genome duplication in plants. Nucleic Acids Research 41: D1152–D1158. , , , .
- 2011. La diversité génétique des bananiers en chiffres. Fruitrop 189: 58–62. .
- 2010. Genomic and transcriptomic analysis of the AP2/ERF superfamily in Vitis vinifera. BMC Genomics 11: 719. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of ethylene biosynthesis associated with ripening in banana fruit. Plant Physiology 121: 1257–1265. , , , , , .
- 2005. Plant conserved non-coding sequences and paralogue evolution. Trends in Genetics 21: 60–65. , .
- 2012. Preferential retention of circadian clock genes during diploidization following whole genome triplication in Brassica rapa. Plant Cell 24: 2415–2426. , , , , , .
- 2000. The evolutionary fate and consequences of duplicate genes. Science 290: 1151–1155. , .
- 2000. The probability of duplicate gene preservation by subfunctionalization. Genetics 154: 459–473. , .
- 2005. Modeling gene and genome duplications in eukaryotes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 5454–5459. , , , , , , .
- 2006. OsEIL1, a rice homolog of the Arabidopsis EIN3 regulates the ethylene response as a positive component. Plant Molecular Biology 61: 141–152. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis SLIM1 is a central transcriptional regulator of plant sulfur response and metabolism. Plant Cell 18: 3235–3251. , , , , .
- 2007. Use of suppression subtractive hybridization approach to identify genes differentially expressed during early banana fruit development undergoing changes in ethylene responsiveness. Plant Science 172: 1025–1036. , , , , , .
- 2008. EIN3-like gene expression during fruit ripening of Cavendish banana (Musa acuminata cv. Grande naine). Physiologia Plantarum 133: 435–448. , , , , .
- 2012. Auxin and ethylene: collaborators or competitors? Trends in Plant Science 17: 181–195. , , .
- 2006. Genome-wide analysis of the ERF gene family in Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Physiology 140: 411–432. , , , .
- 1970. Evolution by gene duplication. London, UK: George Alien & Unwin Ltd. .
- 2003. Dosage sensitivity and the evolution of gene families in yeast. Nature 424: 194–197. , , .
- 2004. Comparative genome analysis of monocots and dicots, toward characterization of angiosperm diversity. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 15: 120–125. , , , , , .
- 2003. EIN3-dependent regulation of plant ethylene hormone signaling by two Arabidopsis F box proteins: EBF1 and EBF2. Cell 115: 679–689. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Processing and subcellular trafficking of ER-tethered EIN2 control response to ethylene gas. Science 338: 390–393. , , , , , , .
- 2005. InterProScan: protein domains identifier. Nucleic Acids Research 33: W116–W120. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Involvement of RTE1 in conformational changes promoting ETR1 ethylene receptor signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 56: 423–431. , , .
- 2006. Striking similarities in the genomic distribution of tandemly arrayed genes in Arabidopsis and rice. PLoS Computational Biology 2: e115. , , .
- 2012. Contrasting patterns of evolution following whole genome versus tandem duplication events in Populus. Genome Research 22: 95–105. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. GreenPhylDB v2.0: comparative and functional genomics in plants. Nucleic Acids Research 39: D1095–D1102. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. The fate of duplicated genes in a polyploid plant genome. Plant Journal 73: 143–153. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Ethylene biosynthesis and signaling in rice. Ethylene Biology 175: 32–42. , .
- 2008. Identification and characterization of shared duplications between rice and wheat provide new insight into grass genome evolution. Plant Cell 20: 11–24. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011a. Dose-sensitivity, conserved noncoding sequences and duplicate gene retention through multiple tetraploidies in the grasses. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 1–7. , , , .
- 2011b. Differentiation of the maize subgenomes by genome dominance and both ancient and ongoing gene loss. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 4069–4074. , , .
- 2009. The B73 maize genome: complexity, diversity, and dynamics. Science 326: 1112–1115. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Mechanisms of signal transduction by ethylene: overlapping and non-overlapping signalling roles in a receptor family. AoB Plants 5: plt010. , , , .
- 2010. Identification, phylogeny, and transcript profiling of ERF family genes during development and abiotic stress treatments in tomato. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 284: 455–475. , , , , , .
- 2006. PAL2NAL: robust conversion of protein sequence alignments into the corresponding codon alignments. Nucleic Acids Research 34: W609–W612. , , .
- 2010. Angiosperm genome comparisons reveal early polyploidy in the monocot lineage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 472–477. , , , .
- 2011. Screening synteny blocks in pairwise genome comparisons through integer programming. BMC Bioinformatics 12: 102. , , , , , .
- The Tomato Genome Consortium. 2012. The tomato genome sequence provides insights into fleshy fruit evolution. Nature 485: 635–641.
- 2001. Members of the tomato LeEIL (EIN3-like) gene family are functionally redundant and regulate ethylene responses throughout plant development. Plant Journal 26: 47–58. , , , .
- 2004. Unique and overlapping expression patterns among the Arabidopsis 1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase gene family members. Plant Physiology 136: 2982–3000. , .
- 2004. Computational approaches to unveiling ancient genome duplications. Nature Reviews Genetics 5: 752–763. .
- 2012. Ethylene in vegetative development: a tale with a riddle. New Phytologist 194: 895–909. , , , .
- 2004. Gene dosage balance in cellular pathways: implications for dominance and gene duplicability. Genetics 168: 569–574. .
- 2012. Genome and gene duplications and gene expression divergence: a view from plants. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1256: 1–14. , , .
- 2011. Modes of gene duplication contribute differently to genetic novelty and redundancy, but show parallels across divergent angiosperms. PLoS ONE 6: e28150. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Activation of ethylene signaling is mediated by nuclear translocation of the cleaved EIN2 carboxyl terminus. Cell Research 22: 1613–1616. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Different gene families in Arabidopsis thaliana transposed in different epochs and at different frequencies throughout the rosids. Plant Cell 23: 4241–4253. , , .
- 2013. Banana ethylene response factors are involved in fruit ripening through their interactions with ethylene biosynthesis genes. Journal of Experimental Botany 64: 2499–2510. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Biochemical diversity among the 1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase isozymes encoded by the Arabidopsis gene family. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 49102–49112. , , , , , .
- 2013. A genome-wide analysis of the ERF gene family in sorghum. Genetics and Molecular Research 12: 2038–2055. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Expression of genes associated with ethylene-signalling pathway in harvested banana fruit in response to temperature and 1-MCP treatment. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 91: 650–657. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Silencing Sl-EBF1 and Sl-EBF2 expression causes constitutive ethylene response phenotype, accelerated plant senescence, and fruit ripening in tomato. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 697–708. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Likelihood ratio tests for detecting positive selection and application to primate lysozyme evolution. Molecular Biology and Evolution 15: 568–573. .
- 2007. PAML 4: phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1586–1591. .
- 2003. Characterization of a novel tomato EIN3-like gene (LeEIL4). Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2775–2776. , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis ETO1 specifically interacts with and negatively regulates type 2 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthases. BMC Plant Biology 5: 14. , , , , .
- 2012. Genome-wide analysis of the AP2/ERF superfamily in peach (Prunus persica). Genetics and Molecular Research 11: 4789–4809. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Transcriptional regulation of the ethylene response factor LeERF2 in the expression of ethylene biosynthesis genes controls ethylene production in tomato and tobacco. Plant Physiology 150: 365–377. , , , , .
- 2011. Paradigms and paradox in the ethylene signaling pathway and interaction network. Molecular Plant 4: 626–634. , .
- 2010. Discovery, phylogeny and expression patterns of AP2-like genes in maize. Plant Growth Regulation 62: 51–58. , , , , , , .
- 2002. RIO: analyzing proteomes by automated phylogenomics using resampled inference of orthologs. BMC Bioinformatics 3: 14. , .