Seasonal transfer of oxygen isotopes from precipitation and soil to the tree ring: source water versus needle water enrichment
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 202, Issue 3, pages 772–783, May 2014
How to Cite
Treydte, K., Boda, S., Graf Pannatier, E., Fonti, P., Frank, D., Ullrich, B., Saurer, M., Siegwolf, R., Battipaglia, G., Werner, W. and Gessler, A. (2014), Seasonal transfer of oxygen isotopes from precipitation and soil to the tree ring: source water versus needle water enrichment. New Phytologist, 202: 772–783. doi: 10.1111/nph.12741
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2013
- The European Union. Grant Number: GOCE 017008-2
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 200021_130112, 200021_121859, CRSII3_136295
- German Science Foundation. Grant Number: GE1090/7-1 and 8-1
- 1998. Oxygen and carbon isotopic record of climatic variability in tree ring cellulose (Picea abies): an example from central Switzerland (1913–1995). Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 31625–31636. , , , .
- 2007. Stable oxygen isotope composition of plant tissue: a review. Functional Plant Biology 34: 83–94. .
- 2001. Correlations between oxygen isotope ratios of wood constituents of Quercus and Pinus samples from around the world. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 335–348. , , .
- 2000. Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of cotton leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473–485. , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in δ13C and δ18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 2007. Evaporative enrichment and time lags between δ18O of leaf water and organic pools in a pine stand. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 539–550. , , , , , , , .
- 1969. Oxygen isotope fractionation between CO2 and water and isotopic composition of marine atmospheric CO2. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 5: 285–295. , .
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Assessing environmental and physiological controls over water relations in a Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) stand through analyses of stable isotope composition of water and organic matter. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 113–127. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Oxygen isotopes in tree rings are a good proxy for Amazon precipitation and El Niño-Southern Oscillation variability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 42: 16957–16962. , , , , .
- 1981. Oxygen isotope ratios in trees reflect mean annual temperature and humidity. Science 211: 1417–1419. , .
- 2003. Isotopic fractionation of water during evaporation. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4525. , , , .
- 2003. Water relations link carbon and oxygen isotope discrimination to phloem sap sugar concentration in Eucalyptus globulus. Plant Physiology 131: 1544–1554. , , , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 25: 129–146. , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and the marine atmosphere. In: Tongiorgi E, ed. Proc. Conference on stable isotopes in oceanographic studies and palaeotemperatures. Pisa, Italy: Lischi and Figli, 9–130. , .
- 2007. Modelling advection and diffusion of water isotopologues in leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 892–909. , , , , .
- 2006. Reconstruction of past precipitation δ18O using tree-ring cellulose δ18O and δ13C: a calibration study near Lac d'Annecy, France. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 243: 439–448. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Streamside trees that do not use stream water. Nature 350: 335–337. , .
- 1993. Isotopic enrichment of water in the ‘woody’ tissues: implications for plant water source, water uptake, and other studies which use the stable isotopic composition of cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimca Acta 57: 3487–3492. , .
- 1981. Isotopic composition of cellulose from aquatic organisms. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 45: 1885–1894. , .
- 2001. Lignification and lignin topochemistry – an ultrastructural view. Phytochemistry 57: 859–873. .
- 1974. On the enrichment of H218O in the leaves of transpiring plants. Radiation and Environmental Biophysics 11: 41–52. , , , .
- 2008. Climatic and hydrologic variability during the past millennium in the eastern Rocky Mountains and northern Great Plains of western Canada. Quaternary Research 70: 188–197. , , , .
- 1992. Water-uptake by plants – perspectives from stable isotope composition. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 1073–1082. , .
- 2000. Assessing ecosystem-level water relations through stable isotope ratio analyses. In: Sala OE, Jackson RB, Mooney HA, Howarth RW, eds. Methods in ecosystem science. New York, NY, USA: Springer Verlag, 181–195. , , .
- 1998a. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: Griffiths H, ed. Stable isotopes: integration of biological, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd, 27–62. , , .
- 1998b. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: Griffiths H, ed. Stable isotopes – integration of biological, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers Ltd, 27–74. , , .
- 2005. On the isotopic composition of leaf water in the non-steady state. Functional Plant Biology 32: 293–303. , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and water-use efficiency. In: Rundel PW, Ehleringer JR, Nagy KA, eds. Stable isotopes in ecological research. New York, NY, USA: Springer Verlag, 21–46. , , , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 47–70. , .
- 1983. 18O/16O ratio of water in a local ecosystem as a basis of climate record. In: Paleoclimates and paleowaters. A collection of environmental isotope studies. Vienna, Austria: IAEA, 67–81. , .
- 2009. Tracing carbon and oxygen isotope signals from newly assimilated sugars in the leaves to the tree-ring archive. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 780–795. , , , , , .
- 2013. The oxygen isotope enrichment of leaf-exported assimilates – does it always reflect lamina leaf water enrichment? New Phytologist 200: 144–157. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Oxygen isotope enrichment of organic matter in Ricinus communis during the diel course and as affected by assimilate transport. New Phytologist 174: 600–613. , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech – evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 721–729. , , .
- 2008. Experimental evidence for diel variations of the carbon isotope composition in leaf, stem and phloem sap organic matter in Ricinus communis. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 941–953. , , , , .
- 2013. Oxygen isotopes in wood and cellulose of larch and spruce in the Lötschental (Swiss Alps). Master Thesis, Department of Geography, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland. .
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short-term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Climatic drivers of hourly to yearly tree radius variations along a 6°C natural warming gradient. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 168: 36–46. , , , , .
- 2010. A 350 year drought reconstruction from Alpine tree ring stable isotopes. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24: doi: 10.1029/2009GB003613 , , , , , .
- 1976. Isotopic tree thermometers. Nature 261: 284–290. , , , , , .
- 2012. Regional cloud cover and SST variations recorded in tree-ring δ18O of a temperate forest in Southwestern China. Chemical Geology 291: 104–115. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in European precipitation seasonality and in drought frequencies revealed by a four-century-long tree-ring isotopic record from Brittany, western France. Climate Dynamics 24: 57–69. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Dynamics of water transport and storage in conifers studied with deuterium and heat tracing techniques. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 105–114. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tree-ring isotope records of tropical cyclone activity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 14294–14297. , , , , , .
- 2010. Timing and duration of European larch growing season along altitudinal gradients in the Swiss Alps. Tree Physiology 30: 225–233. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Seasonal O-18 variations and groundwater recharge for three landscape types in central Pennsylvania, USA. Journal of Hydrology 303: 108–124. , , , .
- 2011. The long way down – are carbon and oxygen isotope signals in the tree ring uncoupled from canopy physiological processes? Tree Physiology 31: 1088–1102. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A simple, single-substrate model to interpret intra-annual stable isotope signals in tree-ring cellulose. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1071–1090. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Climatic correlations in the stable isotope records of silver fir (Abies pindrow) tree from Kashmir, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 79: 66–74. , , .
- 2003. To what extent can oxygen isotopes in tree rings and precipitation be used to reconstruct past atmospheric temperature? A case study. Climatic Change 61: 237–248. , , .
- 2007. Temporal stability of climate-isotope relationships in tree rings of oak and pine (Ticino, Switzerland). Global Biogeochemical Cycles 2: doi: 10.1029/2007GB002945 , , , , , .
- 2010. Investigating the influence of sulfur dioxide on the stable isotope ratios of tree rings. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74: 2327–2339. , , , , .
- 2001. Oxygen isotope ratios of oak in east England: implications for reconstructing the isotopic composition of precipitation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 191: 21–31. , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of tree ring cellulose along a precipitation transect in Oregon, United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: doi: 10.1029/2005JG000033 , , , , .
- 2007. Summer precipitation influences the stable oxygen and carbon isotopic composition of tree-ring cellulose in Pinus ponderosa. Tree Physiology 27: 491–501. , .
- 2009. Intra-annual variation in the stable oxygen and carbon isotope ratios of cellulose in tree rings of coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens). Holocene 19: 189–197. , , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in tree-ring cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 2003. Application of the Gompertz equation for the study of xylem cell development. Dendrochronologia 21: 33–39. , , .
- 1992. Relation between long-term trends of oxygen-18 isotope composition of precipitation and climate. Science 258: 981–985. , , .
- 1997a. Correlating δ13C and δ18O in cellulose of trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1543–1550. , , .
- 1997b. δ18O of tree rings of beech (Fagus sylvatica) as a record of δ18O of the growing season precipitation. Tellus Series B–Chemical and Physical Meteorology 49: 80–92. , , .
- 2008. An investigation of the common signal in tree ring stable isotope chronologies at temperate sites. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: doi: 10.1029/2008JG000689 , , , , , .
- 2000. Oxygen isotopes in tree rings of Abies alba: the climatic significance of interdecadal variations. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 12461–12470. , , .
- 2012. The influence of atmospheric circulation patterns on the oxygen isotope ratio of tree-rings in the Alpine region. Journal of Geophysical Research 117: doi: 10.1029/2011JD016861 , , , , , .
- 2003. Starch mobilization in leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 577–583. , , , .
- 2008. The stable hydrogen and oxygen isotope variation of water stored in polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 22: 672–676. , .
- 2008. Oxygen stable isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose: the next phase of understanding. New Phytologist 181: 553–562. .
- 1986. Oxygen isotope exchange between metabolites and water during biochemical reactions leading to cellulose synthesis. Plant Physiology 82: 423–427. , , .
- 2005. Atmospheric deposition on swiss long-term forest ecosystem research (LWF) plots. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 104: 81–118. , , , .
- 2007. Signal strength and climate calibration of a European tree-ring isotope network. Geophysical Research Letters 34: doi: 10.1029/2007GL031106 , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The twentieth century was the wettest period in northern Pakistan over the past millennium. Nature 440: 1179–1182. , , , , , , .
- 1979. The contribution of stored water to transpiration in Scots pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 2: 309–317. , , .
- 2004. Maltose is the major form of carbon exported from the chloroplast at night. Planta 218: 474–482. , , .
- 2005. Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillation phase changes are recorded in the isotopes (δ18O and δ13C) of Cassiope tetragona plants. Global Change Biology 11: 997–1002. , , .
- 1977. 12C/13C in cellulose and lignin as palaeothermometers. Nature 265: 133–135. , .
- 1990. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope fractionation during cellulose metabolism in Lemna gibba L. Plant Physiology 93: 325–332. , .