Knockdown of mitochondrial alternative oxidase induces the ‘stress state’ of signaling molecule pools in Nicotiana tabacum, with implications for stomatal function
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 203, Issue 2, pages 449–461, July 2014
How to Cite
Cvetkovska, M., Dahal, K., Alber, N. A., Jin, C., Cheung, M. and Vanlerberghe, G. C. (2014), Knockdown of mitochondrial alternative oxidase induces the ‘stress state’ of signaling molecule pools in Nicotiana tabacum, with implications for stomatal function. New Phytologist, 203: 449–461. doi: 10.1111/nph.12773
- Issue online: 19 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2014
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2006. Changes in plant mitochondrial electron transport alter cellular levels of reactive oxygen species and susceptibility to cell death signaling molecules. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 1509–1519. , , , .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. , .
- 2012. Making sense of low oxygen sensing. Trends in Plant Science 17: 129–138. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The language of nitric oxide signaling. Plant Biology 13: 233–242. .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of mitochondrial respiration by nitric oxide inhibition of cytochrome c oxidase. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1504: 46–57. .
- 2006. Alternative oxidases in Arabidopsis: a comparative analysis of differential expression in the gene family provides new insights into function of non-phosphorylating bypasses. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1757: 730–741. , , .
- 2002. Molecular distinction between alternative oxidase from monocots and dicots. Plant Physiology 129: 949–953. , , , , .
- 2002. Nitric oxide and cytochrome oxidase: substrate, inhibitor or effector? Trends in Biochemical Science 27: 33–39. .
- 2013. The signaling role of a mitochondrial superoxide burst during stress. Plant Signaling and Behaviour 8: e22749. , , .
- 2012. Alternative oxidase modulates leaf mitochondrial concentrations of superoxide and nitric oxide. New Phytologist 195: 32–39. , .
- 2013. Alternative oxidase impacts the plant response to biotic stress by influencing the mitochondrial generation of reactive oxygen species. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 721–732. , .
- 2013. Open or close the gate – stomata action under the control of phytohormones in drought stress conditions. Frontiers in Plant Science 4: Article 138. , .
- 2012. Respiratory complex I deficiency induces drought tolerance by impacting leaf stomatal and hydraulic conductances. Planta 235: 603–614. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2004. Alternative electron transport proteins in plants. In: Day DA, Millar AH, Whelan J, eds. Plant mitochondria: from genome to function. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 163–230. , , .
- 2011. In vivo cytochrome and alternative pathway respiration in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana plants with altered alternative oxidase under different light conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1373–1383. , , , , , .
- 2009. Redox regulation in photosynthetic organisms: signaling, acclimation, and practical implications. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 11: 861–905. , .
- 2013. Systemic acquired resistance: turning local infection into global defense. Annual Review of Plant Biology 64: 839–863. , .
- 2012. The absence of alternative oxidase AOX1A results in altered response of photosynthetic carbon assimilation to increasing CO2 in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 1627–1637. , , , .
- 2013. Gasotransmitters are emerging as new guard cell signaling molecules and regulators of leaf gas exchange. Plant Science 201–202: 66–73. , .
- 2008. Abscisic acid-induced modulation of metabolic and redox control pathways in Arabidopsis thaliana. Phytochemistry 69: 2899–2911. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The absence of ALTERNATIVE OXIDASE1a in Arabidopsis results in acute sensitivity to combined light and drought stress. Plant Physiology 147: 595–610. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The transcription factor ABI4 is a regulator of mitochondrial retrograde expression of ALTERNATIVE OXIDASE1a. Plant Physiology 150: 1286–1296. , , , .
- 2010. On the origins of nitric oxide. Trends in Plant Science 16: 160–168. , , , .
- 2005. Partitioning of respiratory electrons in the dark in leaves of transgenic tobacco with modified levels of alternative oxidase. Physiologia Plantarum 125: 171–180. , .
- 2011. Nitric oxide and ABA in the control of plant function. Plant Science 181: 555–559. , , .
- 2012. DEXH box RNA helicase-mediated mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production in Arabidopsis mediates crosstalk between abscisic acid and auxin signaling. Plant Cell 24: 1815–1833. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Role and interrelationship of Gα protein, hydrogen peroxide, and nitric oxide in ultraviolet B-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis leaves. Plant Physiology 161: 1570–1583. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Nitrated cyclic GMP modulates guard cell signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 25: 558–571. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fluorescent indicators for imaging nitric oxide production. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 38: 3209–3212. , , , , , .
- 2010. ABA overly-insensitive 5 (ABO5), encoding a pentatricopeptide repeat protein required for cis-splicing of mitochondrial nad2 intron 3, is involved in the abscisic acid response in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 63: 749–765. , , , , , .
- 2009. Enhanced abscisic acid-mediated responses in nia1nia2noa1-2 triple mutant impaired in NIA/NR- and AtNOA1-dependent nitric oxide biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 891–903. , .
- 2004. LESION SIMULATING DISEASE 1 is required for acclimation to conditions that promote excess excitation energy. Plant Physiology 136: 2818–2830. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Evidence for mitochondrial involvement in the transduction of signals required for the induction of genes associated with pathogen attack and senescence. Plant Journal 29: 269–279. , , .
- 1999. The alternative oxidase lowers mitochondrial reactive oxygen production in plant cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 8271–8276. , , .
- 2006. Plant stomata function in innate immunity against bacterial invasion. Cell 126: 969–980. , , , , .
- 1996. Nitric oxide inhibits the cytochrome oxidase but not the alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria. FEBS Letters 398: 155–158. , .
- 2011. Organization and regulation of mitochondrial respiration in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 79–104. , , , .
- 1993. Organic acid activation of the alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria. FEBS Letters 329: 259–262. , , , .
- 2013. SIZ1 deficiency causes reduced stomatal aperture and enhanced drought tolerance via salicylic acid-induced accumulation of reactive oxygen species in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 73: 91–104. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nitrite as the major source of nitric oxide production by Arabidopsis thaliana in response to Pseudomonas syringae. FEBS Letters 579: 3814–3820. , , , , .
- 2001. Plant mitochondria and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide and nitric oxide as signalling molecules in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1237–1247. , , , , .
- 2004. Use of mitochondrial electron transport mutants to evaluate the effects of redox state on photosynthesis, stress tolerance and the integration of carbon/nitrogen metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 49–57. , , , .
- 2007. The overexpression of an alternative oxidase gene triggers ozone sensitivity in tobacco plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1545–1556. , , , , .
- 2009. Mitochondrial generation of free radicals and hypoxic signaling. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 20: 332–340. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of the cyanide-resistant alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria: identification of the cysteine residue involved in α-keto acid stimulation and intersubunit disulfide bond formation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 30750–30756. , , , , , .
- 2013. Nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species in plant biotic interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 16: 534–539. , , .
- 2013. Mitochondrial energy and redox signaling in plants. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 18: 2122–2143. , .
- 2011. Redox-based protein modifications: the missing link in plant immune signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 14: 358–364. , .
- 2009. Nitric oxide production occurs downstream of reactive oxygen species in guard cells during stomatal closure induced by chitosan in abaxial epidermis of Pisum sativum. Planta 229: 757–765. , , , .
- 2009. Induction of the AOX1D isoform of alternative oxidase in A. thaliana T-DNA insertion lines lacking isoform AOX1A is insufficient to optimize photosynthesis when treated with antimycin A. Molecular Plant 2: 284–297. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. ROS and redox signalling in the response of plants to abiotic stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 259–270. , , , .
- 2007. The mitochondrion: an integration point of cellular metabolism and signalling. Critical Reviews in Plant Science 26: 17–43. , , , , .
- 1993. Covalent and non-covalent dimers of the cyanide-resistant alternative oxidase protein in higher plant mitochondria and their relationship to enzyme activity. Plant Physiology 103: 845–854. , .
- 2008. RNA isolation method for polysaccharide rich algae: agar producing Gracilaria tenuistipitata (Rhodophyta). Journal of Applied Phycology 20: 9–12. , , , .
- 1994. High mitochondrial activity but incomplete engagement of the cyanide-resistant alternative pathway in guard cell protoplasts of pea. Plant Physiology 105: 1263–1268. , .
- 2013. Alternative oxidase: a mitochondrial respiratory pathway to maintain metabolic and signaling homeostasis during abiotic and biotic stress in plants. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 14: 6805–6847. .
- 1995. Alternative oxidase activity in tobacco leaf mitochondria: dependence of tricarboxylic acid cycle-mediated redox regulation and pyruvate activation. Plant Physiology 109: 353–361. , , , , .
- 2011. Impact of mitochondrial alternative oxidase expression on the response of Nicotiana tabacum to cold temperature. Physiologia Plantarum 142: 339–351. , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis prohibitin gene PHB3 functions in nitric oxide-mediated responses and in hydrogen peroxide-induced nitric oxide accumulation. Plant Cell 22: 249–259. , , , , .
- 2013. A lack of mitochondrial alternative oxidase compromises capacity to recover from severe drought stress. Physiologia Plantarum 149: 461–473. , .
- 2010. Drought, ozone, ABA and ethylene: new insights from cell to plant to community. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 510–525. , .
- 2011. Physiological impact of mitochondrial alternative oxidase on photosynthesis and growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1890–1899. , , , .
- 2012. Functional disruption of the pentatricopeptide protein SLG1 affects mitochondrial RNA editing, plant development, and responses to abiotic stresses in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 70: 432–444. , .
- 2006. Nitric oxide- and hydrogen peroxide-responsive gene regulation during cell death induction in tobacco. Plant Physiology 141: 404–411. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Effects of light on cyanide-resistant respiration and alternative oxidase function in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 2121–2131. , , , , , , , .