Catching on to concatenation: evidence for pre-pollination intra-sexual selection in plants
Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 203, Issue 1, pages 4–6, July 2014
How to Cite
Peter, C. I. and Shuttleworth, A. (2014), Catching on to concatenation: evidence for pre-pollination intra-sexual selection in plants. New Phytologist, 203: 4–6. doi: 10.1111/nph.12838
- Issue online: 28 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2014
- 2005. Stapeliads of southern Africa and Madagascar. Hatfield, South Africa: Umdaus Press. .
- 2014. The buck in the milkweed: evidence of male–male interference among pollinaria on pollinators. New Phytologist 203: 280–286. , , , , .
- 2012. Large pollen loads of a South African asclepiad do not interfere with the foraging behaviour or efficiency of pollinating honey bees. Naturwissenschaften 99: 545–552. , , , .
- 2009. A test for allee effects in the self-incompatible wasp-pollinated milkweed Gomphocarpus physocarpus. Austral Ecology 34: 688–697. , , .
- 1871. The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. London, UK: John Murray. .
- 2014. Male interference for pollination efficiency in a hermaphroditic orchid. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12395. , .
- 1996. Diversity and temporal change in the effective pollinators of Asclepias tuberosa. Ecology 77: 1061–1073. , .
- 1995. Sexual selection in plants: pros and cons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 1247–1250. .
- 1997. Hawkmoth pollination of Bonatea speciosa (Orchidaceae) in a South African coastal forest. Nordic Journal of Botany 17: 5–10. , .
- 2005. Pollen fates and the limits on male reproductive success in an orchid population. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 86: 175–190. , , .
- 1983. The partitioning of pollinators among three species of Asclepias. Ecology 64: 120–133. .
- 2011. Sexual selection in plants. Current Biology 21: R176–R182. , .
- 1981. Modification of bumblebee foraging: the effect of milkweed pollinia. Ecology 62: 89–97. .
- 2003. The pollination ecology of an assemblage of grassland asclepiads in South Africa. Annals of Botany 92: 807–834. , , , .
- 2009. Reproductive biology of Acrolophia cochlearis (Orchidaceae): estimating rates of cross-pollination in epidendroid orchids. Annals of Botany 104: 573–581. , .
- 1986. Sexual dimorphism in Catasetum orchids: forcible pollen emplacement and male flower competition. Science 232: 1538–1540. , .
- 2009. Specialized pollination in the African milkweed Xysmalobium orbiculare: a key role for floral scent in the attraction of spider-hunting wasps. Plant Systematics and Evolution 280: 37–44. , .
- 2012. The Hemipepsis wasp-pollination system in South Africa: a comparative analysis of trait convergence in a highly specialized plant guild. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 168: 278–299. , .
- 2002. Sexual selection: an evolutionary force in plants? Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 77: 537–562. , .
- 2012. Functional morphology and wasp pollination of two South American asclepiads (Asclepiadoideae–Apocynaceae). Annals of Botany 109: 77–93. , , , , .