These authors contributed equally to this work.
Defective Kernel 1 (DEK1) is required for three-dimensional growth in Physcomitrella patens
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 203, Issue 3, pages 794–804, August 2014
How to Cite
Perroud, P.-F., Demko, V., Johansen, W., Wilson, R. C., Olsen, O.-A. and Quatrano, R. S. (2014), Defective Kernel 1 (DEK1) is required for three-dimensional growth in Physcomitrella patens. New Phytologist, 203: 794–804. doi: 10.1111/nph.12844
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2014
- Washington University in St Louis
- Norwegian Research Council to the Norwegian University for Life Sciences
- Hedmark University College
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11: 36–42. , , .
- 2004. Phytocalpain controls the proliferation and differentiation fates of cells in plant organ development. The Plant Journal 38: 969–981. , , , , .
- 2012. Ap2-type transcription factors determine stem cell identity in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Development 139: 3120–3129. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The maize dek1 gene functions in embryonic pattern formation and cell fate specification. Development 129: 5217–5225. , , , .
- 1995. Methods in plant immunolight microscopy. Methods in Cell Biology 49: 85–107. , .
- 2006. Mosses as model systems for the study of metabolism and development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 497–520. , , , .
- 2009. The moss Physcomitrella patens. A novel model system for plant development and genomic studies. In: Crotty DA, Gann A, eds. Emerging model organisms, a laboratory manual. New York, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 69–104. , , , , , .
- 2011. Asymmetric cell division in land plants and algae: the driving force for differentiation. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 12: 177–188. , .
- 2006. Surface position, not signaling from surrounding maternal tissues, specifies aleurone epidermal cell fate in maize. Plant Physiology 141: 898–909. , , , , .
- 1968. A cytokinin test with high specifcity. Planta 83: 115–118. , .
- 2009. Local cues and asymmetric cell divisions underpin body plan transitions in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Current Biology 19: 461–471. , , , .
- 2005. Atdek1 is essential for specification of embryonic epidermal cell fate. Plant Journal 44: 114–127. , , , .
- 2008. The phytocalpain defective kernel 1 is a novel Arabidopsis growth regulator whose activity is regulated by proteolytic processing. Plant Cell 20: 2619–2630. , , , .
- 2013. The catalytic domain CysPc of the DEK1 calpain is functionally conserved in land plants. Plant Journal 75: 742–754. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The defective kernel 1 (dek1) gene required for aleurone cell development in the endosperm of maize grains encodes a membrane protein of the calpain gene superfamily. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 5460–5465. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Mutation in the Arabidopisis thaliana DEK1 calpain gene perturbs endosperm and embryo development while over-expression affects organ development globally. Planta 221: 339–351. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The floral regulator LEAFY evolves by substitutions in the DNA binding domain. Science 308: 260–263. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Characterization and functional analysis of ABSCISIC ACID INSENSITIVE3-like genes from Physcomitrella patens. Plant Journal 6: 1032–1044. , , .
- 2003. Phytocalpains: orthologous calcium-dependent cysteine proteinases. Trends in Plant Science 8: 58–62. , .
- 2007. An ancient mechanism controls the development of cells with a rooting function in land plants. Science 316: 1477–1480. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of stem cell maintenance by the Polycomb protein FIE has been conserved during land plant evolution. Development 136: 2433–2444. , , , , , .
- 2011. An experimental method to facilitate the identification of hybrid sporophytes in the moss Physcomitrella patens using fluorescent tagged lines. New Phytologist 191: 301–306. , , , .
- 2006. The role of ARPC4 in tip growth and alignment of the polar axis in filaments of Physcomitrella patens. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 63: 162–171. , .
- 2008. BRICK1 is required for spical vell growth in filaments of the moss Physcomitrella patens but not for gametophore morphology. Plant Cell 20: 411–422. , .
- 1997. Role of the cell wall in the determination of cell polarity and the plane of cell division in fucus embryos. Trends in Plant Science 2: 15–21. , .
- 2011. Determination of symmetric and asymmetric division planes in plant vells. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 387–409. , , .
- 2012. Cell cycle regulates cell type in the Arabidopsis sepal. Development 139: 4416–4427. , , , .
- 2002. A new moss genetics: targeted mutagenesis in Physcomitrella patens. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 477–501. .
- 2010. Rad51 loss of function abolishes gene targeting and de-represses illegitimate integration in the moss Physcomitrella patens. DNA Repair (Amst) 9: 526–533. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cytokinins in the bryophyte Physcomitrella patens: analyses of activity, distribution, and cytokinin oxidase/dehydrogenase overexpression reveal the role of extracellular cytokinins. Plant Physiology 145: 786–800. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Subcellular localization and functional domain studies of defective kernel1 in maize and arabidopsis suggest a model for aleurone cell fate specification involving crinkly4 and supernumerary aleurone layer1. Plant Cell 19: 3127–3145. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. MSH2 is essential for the preservation of genome integrity and prevents homeologous recombination in the moss Physcomitrella patens. Nucleic Acids Research 34: 232–242. , , , .
- 2000. Steedman`s wax for F-actin visualization. In: Baluska F, Barlow PW, Staiger CJ, Volkmann D, eds. Actin: a dynamic framework for multiple plant cell functions. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 619–636. , , , .
- 2012. Massive expansion of the calpain gene family among unicellular eukaryotes. BMC Evolutionary Biology 12: 193–205. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genevestigator transcriptome meta-analysis and biomarker search using rice and barley gene expression databases. Molecular Plant 1: 851–857. , , , , , .