Convergent phylogenetic and functional responses to altered fire regimes in mesic savanna grasslands of North America and South Africa
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 203, Issue 3, pages 1000–1011, August 2014
How to Cite
Forrestel, E. J., Donoghue, M. J. and Smith, M. D. (2014), Convergent phylogenetic and functional responses to altered fire regimes in mesic savanna grasslands of North America and South Africa. New Phytologist, 203: 1000–1011. doi: 10.1111/nph.12846
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2014
- NSF Ecosystems and Geography and Regional Science Programs. Grant Number: DEB-0841917
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- American Philosophical Society
- Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies
- Yale Department of Ecology
- Evolutionary Biology
- 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecology 26: 32–46. .
- 2013. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 2.14.0. [WWW document] URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 [accessed 9 January 2013]. , , .
- 2003. What controls South African vegetation-climate or fire? South African Journal of Botany 69: 79–91. , , .
- 2009. Fire in the Earth system. Science 324: 481–484. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An ecosystem in transition: causes and consequences of the conversion of mesic grassland to shrubland. BioScience 55: 243–254. , , , , , , .
- 2013. The ecology of differences: assessing community assembly with trait and evolutionary distances. Ecology Letters 16: 1234–1244. , , .
- 2009. The merging of community ecology and phylogenetic biology. Ecology Letters 12: 693–715. , , , .
- 2012. Shocks to the system: community assembly of the oak savanna in a 40-year fire frequency experiment. Ecology 93: S52–S69. , .
- 2014. Molecular dating, evolutionary rates, and the age of grasses. Systematic Biology 63: 153–165. , , , , , .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Flammable biomes dominated by eucalypts originated at the Cretaceous-Palaeogene boundary. Nature Communications 2: 193. , , , , .
- 2004. The plant traits that drive ecosystems: evidence from three continents. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees. BMC Evolutionary Biology 7: 214. , .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- C4 Grasses Consortium, , , , , et al. 2010. The origins of C4 grasslands: integrating evolutionary and ecosystem science. Science 328: 587–591. , , , ,
- 1993. Evolutionary and ecological aspects of photosynthetic pathway variation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 411–439. , .
- 2008. Phylogenetic analysis of community assembly and structure over space and time. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 619–630. , .
- 1988. Effects of intensity and height of shading on the tiller initiation of 6 grass species from the highland sourveld of Natal. South African Journal of Botany 54: 315–318. , , .
- 2009. Maximum leaf conductance driven by CO2 effects on stomatal size and density over geologic time. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 10 343–10 347. , .
- 2004. Application of the fire–grazing interaction to restore a shifting mosaic on tallgrass prairie. Journal of Applied Ecology 41: 604–614. , .
- 2005. Species divergence and trait convergence in experimental plant community assembly. Ecology Letters 8: 1283–1290. , , , .
- 2001. A standardized protocol for the determination of specific leaf area and leaf dry matter content. Functional Ecology 15: 688–695. , , , .
- 1971. A general coefficient of similarity and some of its properties. Biometrics 27: 857–874. .
- Grass Phylogeny Working Group II. 2011. New grass phylogeny resolves deep evolutionary relationships and discovers C4 origins. New Phytologist 193: 304–312.
- 1998. Benefits of plant diversity to ecosystems: immediate, filter and founder effects. Journal of Ecology 86: 902–910. .
- 1958. Studies on the origin, evolution and distribution of the Gramineae. I. The tribe Andropogoneae. Australian Journal of Botany 16: 116–128. .
- 2010. Communities contain closely related species during ecosystem disturbance. Ecology Letters 13: 162–174. , , , , , .
- 2011. Fire as an evolutionary pressure shaping plant traits. Trends in Plant Science 16: 406–411. , , , .
- 2005. Fire and the Miocene expansion of C4 grasslands. Ecology Letters 8: 683–690. , .
- 2010. Picante: R tools for integrating phylogenies and ecology. Bioinformatics 26: 1463–1464. , , , , , , , .
- 2014. Responses to fire differ between South African and North American grassland communities. Journal of Vegetation Science 25: 793–804. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Effect of fire and drought on the ecophysiology of Andropogon gerardii and Panicum virgatum in a Tallgrass Prairie. Ecology 66: 1309. .
- 1998. Grassland dynamics: long-term ecological research in tallgrass prairie. London, UK: Oxford University Press. , , , .
- 1986. Detritus accumulation limits productivity of tallgrass prairie. BioScience 36: 662–668. , .
- 2004. Generality in ecology: testing North American grassland rules in South African savannas. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2: 483–491. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2014. Plant community response to loss of large herbivores differs between North American and South African grassland communities. Ecology 95: 808–816. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A distance-based framework for measuring functional diversity from multiple traits. Ecology 91: 299–305. , .
- 2011. FD: measuring functional diversity from multiple traits, and other tools for functional ecology. R package version 1.0-11. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=FD [accessed 9 January 2012]. , .
- 2012. PartitionFinder: combined selection of partitioning schemes and substitution models for phylogenetic analyses. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29: 1695–1701. , , , .
- 2002. Predicting changes in community composition and ecosystem functioning from plant traits: revisiting the Holy Grail. Functional Ecology 16: 545–556. , .
- 2004. Measuring biological diversity. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing. .
- 2001. Fitting multivariate models to community data: a comment on distance: based redundancy analysis. Ecology 82: 290–297. , .
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 178–185. , , , .
- 1985. Ecology of a grazing ecosystem: the Serengeti. Ecological Monographs 55: 259–294. .
- 1999. Effects of time-since-fire on the tussock dynamics of a dominant grass (Themeda triandra) in a temperate Australian grassland. Biological Conservation 88: 379–386. , .
- 1994. Long and short term effects of fire on nitrogen cycling in tall grass prairie. Biogeochemisty 24: 67–84. , , , .
- 2013. vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 2.0-7. [WWW document] URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=vegan [accessed 9 January 2013]. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Atmosphere, ecology and evolution: what drove the Miocene expansion of C4 grasslands? Journal of Ecology 96: 35–45. .
- 2004. Plant functional traits in relation to fire in crown-fire ecosystems. Ecology 85: 1085–1100. , , , .
- 2008. Fire reduces morphospace occupation in plant communities. Ecology 89: 2181–2186. , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Size-correction and principal components for interspecific comparative studies. Evolution 63: 3258–3268. .
- 2010. Experimental investigation of fire ecology in the C3 and C4 subspecies of Alloteropsis semialata. Journal of Ecology 98: 1196–1203. , , , , .
- 2008. Consequences of C4 photosynthesis for the partitioning of growth: a test using C3 and C4 subspecies of Alloteropsis semialata under nitrogen-limitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1705–1714. , , .
- 2003. The “hydrology” of leaves: co-ordination of structure and function in temperate woody species. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1343–1356. , , , .
- 1998. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2012. Fire and fire-adapted vegetation promoted C4 expansion in the late Miocene. New Phytologist 195: 653–666. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. An African Savanna: synthesis of the Nylsvley study. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2010. Phylogenetic structure of Brazilian savannas under different fire regimes. Journal of Vegetation Science 21: 1003–1013. , .
- 2009. Recent assembly of the Cerrado, a neotropical plant diversity hotspot, by in situ evolution of adaptations to fire. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106: 20 359–20 364. , , , , , .
- 2008. Phyutility: a phyloinformatics tool for trees, alignments and molecular data. Bioinformatics 24: 715–716. , .
- 2013. Long-term effects of fire frequency and season on herbaceous vegetation in savannas of the Kruger National Park, South Africa. Journal of Plant Ecology 6: 71–83. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Fire and grazing in a mesic tallgrass prairie: impacts on plant species and functional traits. Ecology 91: 1651–1659. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The global extent and determinants of savanna and forest as alternative biome states. Science 334: 230–232. , , .
- 2012. Photosynthetic pathway and ecological adaptation explain stomatal trait diversity amongst grasses. New Phytologist 193: 387–396. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The effect of different fire regimes on plant diversity in southern African grasslands. Biological Conservation 118: 489–499. , , .
- 2007. Fire drives phylogenetic clustering in Mediterranean Basin woody plant communities. Journal of Ecology 95: 1316–1323. , .
- 2007. Let the concept of trait be functional!. Oikos 116: 882–892. , , , , , , .
- 2014. Mechanisms driving an unusual latitudinal diversity gradient for grasses. Global Ecology and Biogeography 23: 61–75. , , , , .
- 2011. Environmental factors determining the phylogenetic structure of C4 grass communities. Journal of Biogeography 39: 232–246. , , , .
- 2008. Phylocom: software for the analysis of phylogenetic community structure and trait evolution. Bioinformatics 24: 2098–2100. , , .
- 2002. Phylogenies and community ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 475–505. , , , .
- 1990. Species effects on nitrogen cycling: a test with perennial grasses. Oecologia 84: 433–441. , .
- 2003. Fire as a driver of ecosystem variability. In: duToit JT, Rogers KH, Biggs HC, eds. The Kruger experience: ecology and management of savanna heterogeneity. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press, 149–170. , , , , .