Dynamic hydrolase activities precede hypersensitive tissue collapse in tomato seedlings
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 203, Issue 3, pages 913–925, August 2014
How to Cite
Sueldo, D., Ahmed, A., Misas-Villamil, J., Colby, T., Tameling, W., Joosten, M. H. A. J. and van der Hoorn, R. A. L. (2014), Dynamic hydrolase activities precede hypersensitive tissue collapse in tomato seedlings. New Phytologist, 203: 913–925. doi: 10.1111/nph.12870
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2013
- University of Oxford
- The Max Planck Society
- EU-funded COST program. Grant Number: CM1004
- 2011. Genetic suppression analysis in novel vacuolar processing enzymes reveals their roles in controlling sugar accumulation in tomato fruits. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2773–2786. , , , , , .
- 1986. Serine carboxypeptidases. A review. Carlsberg Research Communications 51: 83–128. .
- 2001. Specific recognition of AVR4 and AVR9 results in distinct patterns of hypersensitive cell death in tomato, but similar patterns of defence-related gene expression. Molecular Plant Pathology 2: 77–86. , , , .
- 2013. WRKY8 transcription factor functions in the TMV-cg defense response by mediating both abscisic acid and ethylene signaling in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 110: 1963–1971. , , , , .
- 2010. Phytaspase, a relocalisable cell death promoting plant protease with caspase specificity. EMBO Journal 29: 1149–1161. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Programmed cell death in the plant immune system. Cell Death & Differentiation 18: 1247–1256. , , .
- 2008. Activity-based protein profiling: from enzyme chemistry to proteomic chemistry. Annual Review of Biochemistry 77: 383–414. , , .
- 2006. Direct protein interaction underlies gene-for-gene specificity and coevolution of the flax resistance genes and flax rust avirulence genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 8888–8893. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. System-wide hypersensitive response-associated transcriptome and metabolome reprogramming in tomato. Plant Physiology 162: 1599–1617. , , , , , .
- 2006. cDNA-AFLP combined with functional analysis reveals novel genes involved in the hypersensitive response. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 567–576. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Induction of pathogenesis-related proteins in tomato by citrus exocortis viroid, silver ion and ethephon. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 31: 83–90. , , .
- 2000. Epoxide electrophiles as activity-dependent cysteine protease profiling and discovery tools. Chemistry and Biology 7: 569–581. , , , .
- 2010. Proteasome activity profiling: a simple, robust and versatile method revealing subunit-selective inhibitors and cytoplasmic, defense-induced proteasome activities. Plant Journal 62: 160–170. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Race-specific elicitors of Cladosporium fulvum induce changes in cell morphology and the synthesis of ethylene and salicylic acid in tomato plants carrying the corresponding Cf disease resistance gene. Plant Physiology 110: 1381–1394. , , , .
- 2005. Vacuolar processing enzyme: an executor of plant cell death. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 404–408. , , , , .
- 2009. A novel membrane fusion-mediated plant immunity against bacterial pathogens. Genes and Development 23: 2496–2506. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A plant vacuolar protease, VPE, mediates virus-induced hypersensitive cell death. Science 305: 855–858. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Hypersensitive response-related death. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 321–334. .
- 2004. Activity profiling of papain-like cysteine proteases in plants. Plant Physiology 135: 1170–1178. , , , , .
- 2001. A humidity-sensitive Arabidopsis copine mutant exhibits precocious cell death and increased disease resistance. Plant Cell 13: 2225–2240. , , .
- 2002. Attenuation of Cf-mediated defense responses at elevated temperatures correlates with a decrease in elicitor-binding sites. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 1040–1049. , , , , .
- 2012. Isolation of apoplastic fluid from leaf tissue by the vacuum infiltration-centrifugation technique. Methods in Molecular Biology 835: 603–610. .
- 1989. Identification of several pathogenesis-related proteins in tomato leaves inoculated with Cladosporium fulvum (syn. Fulvia fulva) as 1.3-β-glucanases and chitinases. Plant Physiology 89: 945–951. , .
- 1999. The tomato–Cladosporium fulvum interaction: a versatile experimental system to study plant–pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 37: 335–367. , .
- 1999. A genomic cluster containing four differentially regulated subtilisin-like processing protease genes in tomato plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 2360–2365. , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of P69E and P69F, two differentially regulated genes encoding new members of the subtilisin-like proteinase family from tomato plants. Plant Physiology 122: 67–73. , , .
- 2011. The botanical dance of death. Programmed cell death in plants. Advances in Botanical Research 60: 169–261. , , .
- 2009. Diversity of serine hydrolase activities of unchallenged and Botrytis-infected Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 8: 1082–1093. , , , , , .
- 2012. Activity-based protein profiling of infected plants. Methods in Molecular Biology 835: 47–59. , , .
- 2010. Mining the active proteome in plant science and biotechnology. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 21: 225–233. , .
- 2002. Activation of Arabidopsis vacuolar processing enzyme by self-catalytic removal of an auto-inhibitory domain of the C-terminal propeptide. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 143–151. , , .
- 2000. An acyltransferase catalyzing the formation of diacylglucose is a serine carboxypeptidase-like protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 6902–6907. , .
- 2012. A maize cystatin suppresses host immunity by inhibiting apoplastic cysteine proteases. Plant Cell 24: 1285–1300. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Dual disease resistance mediated by the immune receptor Cf-2 in tomato requires a common virulence target of a fungus and a nematode. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 10119–10124. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. 16 Subtilisins: primary structure, chemical and physical properties. Enzymes 3: 561–608. , .
- 2013a. Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae uses proteasome inhibitor syringolin A to colonize from wound infection sites. PLoS Pathogens 9: e1003281. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013b. Activity profiling of vacuolar processing enzymes reveals a role for VPE during oomycete infection. Plant Journal 73: 689–700. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Involvement of hsr203J like gene homologue, protease and protease inhibitors in triggering differential defense response against Alternaria blight in Brassica. Australasian Plant Pathology 40: 461–470. , , , .
- 2009. A serine carboxypeptidase-like acyltransferase is required for synthesis of antimicrobial compounds and disease resistance in oats. Plant Cell 21: 2473–2484. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The hypersensitive response; The centenary is upon us but how much do we know? Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 501–520. , , , , .
- 2005. A vacuolar processing enzyme, δVPE, is involved in seed coat formation at the early stage of seed development. Plant Cell 17: 876–887. , , , , , , .
- 2012. A para-nitrophenol phosphonate probe labels distinct serine hydrolases of Arabidopsis. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 20: 601–606. , , , , .
- 2005. A single amino acid insertion in the WRKY domain of the Arabidopsis TIR-NBS-LRR-WRKY-type disease resistance protein SLH1 (sensitive to low humidity 1) causes activation of defense responses and hypersensitive cell death. Plant Journal 43: 873–888. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. hsr203J, a tobacco gene whose activation is rapid, highly localized and specific for incompatible plant/pathogen interactions. Plant Journal 5: 507–521. , , , .
- 1998. Activation of hsr203, a plant gene expressed during incompatible plant–pathogen interactions, is correlated with programmed cell death. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 544–554. , , , , .
- 2011. Molecular characterization of two types of resistance in sunflower to Plasmopara halstedii, the causal agent of downy mildew. Phytopathology 101: 970–979. , , .
- 2012. Subclassification and biochemical analysis of plant papain-like cysteine proteases displays subfamily-specific characteristics. Plant Physiology 158: 1583–1599. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Hormone crosstalk in plant disease and defense: more than just JASMONATE–SALICYLATE antagonism. Annual Review of Phytopathology 49: 317–343. , , .
- 1999. Rapid Avr9- and Cf-9-dependent activation of MAP kinases in tobacco cell cultures and leaves: convergence of resistance gene, elicitor, wound, and salicylate responses. Plant Cell 11: 273–287. , , , , , .
- 2008. Fungal effector protein AVR2 targets diversifying defense-related cys proteases of tomato. Plant Cell 20: 1169–1183. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. A role in immunity for arabidopsis cysteine protease RD21, the ortholog of the tomato immune protease C14. PLoS ONE 7: e29317. , , , , .
- 2009. Quantitative phosphoproteomics of tomato mounting a hypersensitive response reveals a swift suppression of photosynthetic activity and a differential role for Hsp90 isoforms. Journal of Proteome Research 8: 1168–1182. , , .
- 1997. Characterization of the tomato Cf-4 gene for resistance to Cladosporium fulvum identifies sequences that determine recognitional specificity in Cf-4 and Cf-9. Plant Cell 9: 2209–2224. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cladosporium fulvum (syn. Passalora fulva), a highly specialized plant pathogen as a model for functional studies on plant pathogenic Mycosphaerellaceae. Molecular Plant Pathology 6: 379–393. , , , .
- 2007. A Phytophthora infestans cystatin-like protein targets a novel tomato papain-like apoplastic protease. Plant Physiology 143: 364–377. , , , , , .
- 1996. Primary structure and expression of a pathogen-induced protease (PR-P69) in tomato plants: similarity of functional domains to subtilisin-like endoproteases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 6332–6337. , , .
- 2008. The Cladosporium fulvum virulence protein Avr2 inhibits host proteases required for basal defense. Plant Cell 20: 1948–1963. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The induction and accumulation of the pathogenesis-related P69 proteinase in tomato during citrus exocortis viroid infection and in response to chemical treatments. Physiological & Molecular Plant Pathology 34: 323–334. , .
- 2006. A fluorescent broad-spectrum proteasome inhibitor for labeling proteasomes in vitro and in vivo. Chemistry & Biology 13: 1217–1226. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. High humidity represses Cf-4/Avr4- and Cf-9/Avr9-dependent hypersensitive cell death and defense gene expression. Planta 222: 947–956. , , .
- 1977. A light and scanning-electron microscopic study of infection of tomato plants by virulent and avirulent races of Cladosporium fulvum. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 83: 109–122. .
- 2004. An extracellular aspartic protease functions in Arabidopsis disease resistance signaling. EMBO Journal 23: 980–988. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Environmentally sensitive, SA-dependent defense responses in the cpr22 mutant of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 26: 447–459. , , , , , .
- 2012. Oligochitosan induces programmed cell death in tobacco suspension cells. Carbohydrate Polymers 87: 2270–2278. , , , , .