Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Plants interacting with other organisms
Volume 204, Issue 2, pages 273–281, October 2014
How to Cite
Acevedo-Garcia, J., Kusch, S. and Panstruga, R. (2014), Magical mystery tour: MLO proteins in plant immunity and beyond. New Phytologist, 204: 273–281. doi: 10.1111/nph.12889
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2014
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Number: DFG PA861/11-1
- 2013. Fine mapping and chromosome walking towards the Ror1 locus in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 126: 2969–2982. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Evidence for the involvement of molecular components of papillae in ml-o resistance to barley powdery mildew. Phytopathology 77: 17–32. , , .
- 2008. Naturally occurring broad-spectrum powdery mildew resistance in a central American tomato accession is caused by loss of Mlo function. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 21: 30–39. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A glucosinolate metabolism pathway in living plant cells mediates broad-spectrum antifungal defense. Science 323: 101–106. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Plant genome editing made easy: targeted mutagenesis in model and crop plants using the CRISPR/Cas system. Plant Methods 9: 39. , , , .
- 2005. Recruitment and interaction dynamics of plant penetration resistance components in a plasma membrane microdomain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 3135–3140. , , , , .
- 2014. Physiological characterization and genetic modifiers of aberrant root thigmomorphogenesis in mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana MILDEW LOCUS O genes. Plant, Cell & Environment. doi: 10.1111/pce.12353. , , , , , .
- 2009. Breaking the code of DNA binding specificity of TAL-type III effectors. Science 326: 1509–1512. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The barley Mlo gene: a novel control element of plant pathogen resistance. Cell 88: 695–705. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Targeted genome modification technologies and their applications in crop improvements. Plant Cell Reports 33: 575–583. , .
- 2014. Genome-wide analysis of the mildew resistance locus (MLO) gene family in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.). Plant Omics Journal 7: 87–93. , , .
- 2006. Expression analysis of the AtMLO gene family encoding plant-specific seven-transmembrane domain proteins. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 583–597. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Two seven-transmembrane domain MILDEW RESISTANCE LOCUS O proteins cofunction in Arabidopsis root thigmomorphogenesis. Plant Cell 21: 1972–1991. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sequence haplotypes revealed by sequence-tagged site fine mapping of the Ror1 gene in the centromeric region of barley chromosome 1H. Plant Physiology 125: 1236–1247. , , , , , .
- 2003. SNARE-protein-mediated disease resistance at the plant cell wall. Nature 425: 973–977. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Tryptophan-derived metabolites are required for antifungal defense in the Arabidopsis mlo2 mutant. Plant Physiology 152: 1544–1561. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Conserved requirement for a plant host cell protein in powdery mildew pathogenesis. Nature Genetics 38: 716–720. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The Top 10 fungal pathogens in molecular plant pathology. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 414–430. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing (BSMV-IGS) as a tool for functional analysis of barley genes potentially involved in nonhost resistance. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6: 867–869. , , .
- 2014. Comparative phylogenetic analysis of genome-wide Mlo gene family members from Glycine max and Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 289: 345–359. , , .
- 2003. Molecular phylogeny and evolution of the plant-specific seven-transmembrane MLO family. Journal of Molecular Evolution 56: 77–88. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Topology, subcellular localization, and sequence diversity of the Mlo family in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 34 993–35 004. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Functional conservation of wheat and rice Mlo orthologs in defense modulation to the powdery mildew fungus. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 1069–1077. , , , , .
- 2007. The FERONIA receptor-like kinase mediates male-female interactions during pollen tube reception. Science 317: 656–660. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Host cell entry of powdery mildew is correlated with endosomal transport of antagonistically acting VvPEN1 and VvMLO to the papilla. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 26: 1138–1150. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Identification of grapevine MLO gene candidates involved in susceptibility to powdery mildew. Functional Plant Biology 35: 1255–1266. , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of genes required for the function of non-race- specific mlo resistance to powdery mildew in barley. Plant Cell 8: 5–14. , , , , .
- 2007. Antagonistic control of powdery mildew host cell entry by barley calcium-dependent protein kinases (CDPKs). Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 1213–1221. , , , , .
- 2008. The powdery mildews. A review of the world's most familiar (yet poorly known) plant pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 46: 27–51. .
- 2003. Overexpression of barley BAX inhibitor 1 induces breakdown of mlo-mediated penetration resistance to Blumeria graminis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 5555–5560. , , .
- 2010. A regulon conserved in monocot and dicot plants defines a functional module in antifungal plant immunity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 21896–21901. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. mlo-based powdery mildew immunity. Silver bullet or simply non-host resistance? Molecular Plant Pathology 7: 605–610. , , .
- 2011. Durable broad-spectrum powdery mildew resistance in pea er1 plants is conferred by natural loss-of-function mutations in PsMLO1. Molecular Plant Pathology 12: 866–878. , , , , .
- 2012. A programmable dual-RNA-guided DNA endonuclease in adaptive bacterial immunity. Science 337: 816–821. , , , , , .
- 2013. Antisense expression of peach mildew resistance locus O (PpMlo1) gene confers cross-species resistance to powdery mildew in Fragaria × ananassa. Transgenic Research 22: 1119–1131. , , , .
- 1992. Discovery, characterization and exploitation of Mlo powdery mildew resistance in barley. Euphytica 63: 141–152. .
- 2007. A bacterial effector acts as a plant transcription factor and induces a cell size regulator. Science 318: 648–651. , , , , .
- 2010. Conserved molecular components for pollen tube reception and fungal invasion. Science 330: 968–971. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The pepper MLO gene, CaMLO2, is involved in the susceptibility cell-death response and bacterial and oomycete proliferation. Plant Journal 72: 843–855. , .
- 2002. Calmodulin interacts with MLO protein to regulate defence against mildew in barley. Nature 416: 447–450. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Identification of novel Mlo family members in wheat and their genetic characterization. Genes & Genetic Systems 85: 167–175. , , .
- 2001. A compromised Mlo pathway affects the response of barley to the necrotrophic fungus Bipolaris sorokiniana (teleomorph: Cochliobolus sativus) and its toxins. Phytopathology 91: 127–133. , , , , .
- 2011. TILLING: a shortcut in functional genomics. Journal of Applied Genetics 52: 371–390. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Combined bimolecular fluorescence complementation and Förster resonance energy transfer reveals ternary SNARE complex formation in living plant cells. Plant Physiology 152: 1135–1147. , , , , .
- 2008. Co-option of a default secretory pathway for plant immune responses. Nature 451: 835–840. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A membrane protein/signaling protein interaction network for Arabidopsis version AMPv2. Frontiers in Physiology 1: 24. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Quantitative Interactor Screening with next-generation Sequencing (QIS-Seq) identifies Arabidopsis thaliana MLO2 as a target of the Pseudomonas syringae type III effector HopZ2. BMC Genomics 13: 8. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Functional roles of the pepper MLO protein gene, CaMLO2, in abscisic acid signaling and drought sensitivity. Plant Molecular Biology 85: 1–10. , .
- 2006. Powdery mildew resistance in roses: QTL mapping in different environments using selective genotyping. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113: 1081–1092. , , , .
- 2005. Pre- and postinvasion defenses both contribute to nonhost resistance in Arabidopsis. Science 310: 1180–1183. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Molecular evolution of the MLO gene family in Oryza sativa and their functional divergence. Gene 409: 1–10. , .
- 2013. The role of Arabidopsis heterotrimeric G-protein subunits in MLO2 function and MAMP-triggered immunity. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 26: 991–1003. , , , , .
- 2000. The barley mlo-gene: an important powdery mildew resistance source. Agronomie 20: 745–756. , , , .
- 2000. Targeted screening for induced mutations. Nature Biotechnology 18: 455–457. , , , .
- 2014. A trade off between mlo resistance to powdery mildew and increased susceptibility of barley to a newly important disease, Ramularia leaf spot. Journal of Experimental Botany 65: 1025–1037. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Extracellular transport and integration of plant secretory proteins into pathogen-induced cell wall compartments. Plant Journal 57: 986–999. , , , , .
- 2007. Barley MLO modulates actin-dependent and actin-independent antifungal defense pathways at the cell periphery. Plant Physiology 144: 1132–1143. , , , , , .
- 2009. A simple cipher governs DNA recognition by TAL effectors. Science 326: 1501. , .
- 2004. A golden shot. How ballistic single cell transformation boosts the molecular analysis of cereal-mildew interactions. Molecular Plant Pathology 5: 141–148. .
- 2005a. Discovery of novel conserved peptide domains by ortholog comparison within plant multi-protein families. Plant Molecular Biology 59: 485–500. .
- 2005b. Serpentine plant MLO proteins as entry portals for powdery mildew fungi. Biochemical Society Transactions 33: 389–392. .
- 2003. Corruption of host seven-transmembrane proteins by pathogenic microbes: a common theme in animals and plants? Microbes and Infection 5: 429–437. , .
- 2011. Pea powdery mildew er1 resistance is associated to loss-of-function mutations at a MLO homologous locus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 123: 1425–1431. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Interaction analyses of genes required for resistance responses to powdery mildew in barley reveal distinct pathways leading to leaf cell death. Plant Cell 9: 1397–1409. , , , , .
- 2004. A barley cultivation-associated polymorphism conveys resistance to powdery mildew. Nature 430: 887–891. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The barley MLO modulator of defense and cell death is responsive to biotic and abiotic stress stimuli. Plant Physiology 129: 1076–1085. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Novel induced mlo mutant alleles in combination with site-directed mutagenesis reveal functionally important domains in the heptahelical barley Mlo protein. BMC Plant Biology 10: 31. , , , , .
- 2007. Plant pathogen recognition mediated by promoter activation of the pepper Bs3 resistance gene. Science 318: 645–648. , , , , , .
- 1976. The pleiotropic effects of the ml-o gene and their implications in breeding. In: Gaul H, ed. Barley genetics III. München, Germany: Karl Thiemig Verlag, 440–445. .
- 2000. Double-stranded RNA interferes with gene function at the single-cell level in cereals. Plant Journal 24: 895–903. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis PEN3/PDR8, an ATP binding cassette transporter, contributes to nonhost resistance to inappropriate pathogens that enter by direct penetration. Plant Cell 18: 731–746. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 30: 2725–2729. , , , , .
- 2007. The plant heterotrimeric G-protein complex. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 249–266. , .
- 2012. Virus-induced gene silencing of Mlo genes induces powdery mildew resistance in Triticum aestivum. Archives of Virology 157: 1345–1350. , , .
- 2012. RNA-guided genetic silencing systems in bacteria and archaea. Nature 482: 331–338. , , .
- 1993. The mlo resistance alleles to powdery mildew infection in barley trigger a developmentally controlled defense mimic phenotype. Molecular and General Genetics 239: 122–128. , , , .
- 2013. Loss of function in Mlo orthologs reduces susceptibility of pepper and tomato to powdery mildew disease caused by Leveillula taurica. PLoS ONE 8: e70723. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Genome-wide identification, characterization, and expression analysis of the MLO gene family in Cucumis sativus. Genetics and Molecular Research 12: 6565–6578. , , .
- 2005. Transcriptome analysis of mlo-mediated resistance in the epidermis of barley. Molecular Plant Pathology 6: 139–151. , , .