Maize Elongin C interacts with the viral genome-linked protein, VPg, of Sugarcane mosaic virus and facilitates virus infection
Article first published online: 20 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 203, Issue 4, pages 1291–1304, September 2014
How to Cite
Zhu, M., Chen, Y., Ding, X. S., Webb, S. L., Zhou, T., Nelson, R. S. and Fan, Z. (2014), Maize Elongin C interacts with the viral genome-linked protein, VPg, of Sugarcane mosaic virus and facilitates virus infection. New Phytologist, 203: 1291–1304. doi: 10.1111/nph.12890
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 20 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAR 2014
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: 2012CB114004
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 31272014
- Ministry of Education of China. Grant Number: IRT1042
- Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Inc.
- 2012. Family Potyviridae. In: King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ, eds. Virus taxonomy. London, UK: Academic Press, 1069–1089. , , , , , .
- 2005. Tyrosine 66 of Pepper vein banding virus genome-linked protein is uridylylated by RNA dependent RNA polymerase. Virology 336: 154–162. , , .
- 2011. Structure-based mutational analysis of eIF4E in relation to sbm1 resistance to Pea seed-borne mosaic virus in pea. PLoS ONE 6: e15873. , , , , .
- 1995. Elongin (SIII): a multisubunit regulator of Elongation by RNA polymerase II. Science 269: 1439–1443. , , , .
- 2008. The SOCS box domain of SOCS3: structure and interaction with the elonginBC-cullin5 ubiquitin ligase. Journal of Molecular Biology 381: 928–940. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The poly(A) binding protein is internalized in virus-induced vesicles or redistributed to the nucleolus during Turnip mosaic virus infection. Journal of Virology 81: 10905–10913. , .
- 2012. Virus-induced gene silencing in diverse maize lines using the Brome mosaic virus-based silencing vector. Maydica 57: 205–213. , , , , .
- 1993a. RNA polymerase II transcription factor SIII. Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 25587–25593. , , , .
- 1993b. RNA polymerase II transcription factor SIII. Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 25594–25603. , , , , .
- 2007a. Stability of Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in barley. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 1323–1331. , , , .
- 2007b. The same allele of translation initiation factor 4E mediates resistance against two Potyvirus spp. in Pisum sativum. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 1075–1082. , , , , , .
- 2006. Crystal structure of the SOCS2-elongin C-elongin B complex defines a prototypical SOCS box ubiquitin ligase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 7637–7642. , , , , .
- 2004. Applications and advantages of virus-induced gene silencing for gene function studies in plants. Plant Journal 39: 734–746. , , , .
- 2012. Possible involvement of maize Rop1 in the defence responses of plants to viral infection. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 732–743. , , , , , .
- 2008. Natural variation and functional analyses provide evidence for co-evolution between plant eIF4E and potyviral VPg. Plant Journal 54: 56–68. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Hc-Pro of Sugarcane mosaic virus interacts specifically with maize ferredoxin-5 in vitro and in planta. Journal of General Virology 89: 2046–2054. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. An overlapping essential gene in the Potyviridae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 5897–5902. , , , .
- 2009. Turnip mosaic virus RNA replication complex vesicles are mobile align with microfilaments, and are each derived from a single viral genome. Journal of Virology 83: 10 460–10 471. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. RNA extraction from purified virus particles. In: Schenkel J, ed. Practical plant virology. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 308–311. , .
- 2007. Analysis of gene function in rice through virus-induced gene silencing. Methods in Molecular Biology 354: 145–160. , , .
- 2006. Characterization of a Brome mosaic virus strain and its use as a vector for gene silencing in monocotyledonous hosts. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 1229–1239. , , , , .
- 1995. Inhibition of transcription elongation by the VHL tumor suppressor protein. Science 269: 1402–1406. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis thaliana class II poly(A)-binding proteins are required for efficient multiplication of Turnip mosaic virus. Journal of General Virology 89: 2339–2348. , , , .
- 2004. A cysteine-rich plant protein potentiates Potyvirus movement through an interaction with the virus genome-linked protein VPg. Journal of Virology 78: 2301–2309. , , , , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis eukaryotic initiation factor (iso)4E is dispensable for plant growth but required for susceptibility to potyviruses. Plant Journal 32: 927–934. , , , , , .
- 2011. Potyviral VPg enhances viral RNA translation and inhibits reporter mRNA translation in planta. Journal of Virology 85: 9210–9221. , , , .
- 2003. Complete sequence of the genomic RNA of the prevalent strain of a potyvirus infecting maize in China. Archives of Virology 148: 773–782. , , , .
- 2004. Natural infection of maize by Pennisetum mosaic virus in China. Plant Pathology 53: 76. , , , , , .
- 1992. Development of the particle inflow gun for DNA delivery to plant cells. Plant Cell Report 11: 323–328. , , , .
- 1995. Influence of Sugarcane mosaic virus (SCMV) and Maize dwarf mosaic virus (MDMV) on the growth and yield of two maize varieties. Journal of Plant Disease and Protection 102: 44–50. , .
- 2010. Single amino acid changes in the Turnip mosaic virus viral genome-linked protein (VPg) confer virulence towards Arabidopsis thaliana mutants knocked out for eukaryotic initiation factors eIF(iso)4E and elF(iso)4G. Journal of General Virology 91: 288–293. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The potyvirus recessive resistance gene, sbm1, identifies a novel role for translation initiation factor eIF4E in cell-to-cell trafficking. Plant Journal 40: 376–385. , , , , , .
- 2004. In vivo requirement of the RNA polymerase II elongation factor elongin A for proper gene expression and development. Molecular and Cellular Biology 24: 9911–9919. , , , , , .
- 2010. Potyviruses and the digital revolution. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48: 205–223. , .
- 2006. Distinct functions of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway influence nucleotide excision repair. EMBO Journal 25: 2529–2538. , , , , , .
- 2002. pGD vectors: versatile tools for the expression of gene and red fluorescent protein fusions in agroinfiltrated plant leaves. Plant Journal 31: 375–383. , , , , .
- 2008. Virulence factor of Potato virus Y, genome-attached terminal protein VPg, is a highly disordered protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 213–221. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Direct interaction between the Rice yellow mottle virus (RYMV) VPg and the central domain of the rice eIF(iso)4G1 factor correlates with rice susceptibility and RYMV virulence. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 23: 1506–1513. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The cullin-RING ubiquitin-protein ligases. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 299–334. , .
- 2010. A host RNA helicase-like protein, AtRH8, interacts with the potyviral genome-linked protein, VPg, associates with the virus accumulation complex, and is essential for infection. Plant Physiology 152: 255–266. , , , .
- 2009. Double mutations in eIF4E and eIF(iso)4E confer recessive resistance to Chilli veinal mottle virus infection in pepper. Molecules and Cells 27: 329–336. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of the von Hippel-Lindau tumor-suppressor protein as part of an active E3 ubiquitin ligase complex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 12436–12441. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The mechanism of eukaryotic translation initiation and principles of its regulation. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 10: 113–127. , , .
- 2000. Novel roles for elongin C in yeast. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1491: 161–176. , , , .
- 2010. Turnip mosaic virus (TuMV) is able to use alleles of both eIF4E and eIF(iso)4E from multiple loci of the diploid brassica rapa. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 23: 1498–1505. , , , .
- 2011. The genome-linked protein VPg of plant virus-a protein with many partners. Current Opinion in Virology 1: 347–354. , .
- 2001. Recessive resistance in Pisum sativum and potyvirus pathotype resolved in a gene-for-cistron correspondence between host and virus. Journal of Virology 75: 6609–6614. , , , .
- 2005. The pvr1 locus in Capsicum encodes a translation initiation factor eIF4E that interacts with Tobacco etch virus VPg. Plant Journal 42: 392–405. , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence that the recessive bymovirus resistance locus rym4 in barley corresponds to the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E gene. Molecular Plant Pathology 6: 449–458. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Potyvirus genome-linked protein, VPg, directly affects wheat germ in vitro translation: interactions with translation initiation factors eIF4F and eIF(iso)4F. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 1340–1349. , , , .
- 2000. Elongin from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 11174–11180. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Cellular remodeiling during plant virus infection. Annual Review of Phytopathology 48: 69–91. , .
- 1981. The Bromoviruses. Advances in Virus Research 19: 152–213. .
- 2009. Yeast Elc1 plays an important role in global genomic repair but not in transcription coupled repair. DNA Repair 8: 40–50. , , , , , .
- 2002. Loss-of-susceptibility mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana reveal an essential role for eIF(iso)4E during potyvirus infection. Current Biology 12: 1046–1051. , , , .
- 2000. Complex formation between potyvirus VPg and translation eukaryotic initiation factor 4E correlates with virus infectivity. Journal of Virology 74: 7730–7737. , , , , , .
- 2004. Interaction of VPg-Pro of Turnip mosaic virus with the translation initiation factor 4E and the poly(A)-binding protein in planta. Journal of General Virology 85: 1055–1063. , , , , , .
- 2011. Systemic virus-induced gene silencing allows functional characterization of maize genes during biotrophic interaction with Ustilago maydis. New Phytologist 189: 471–483. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1999. Oxygen deprivation stimulates Ca2+-mediated phosphorylation of mRNA cap-binding protein eIF4E in maize roots. Plant Journal 19: 21–30. , , .
- 2011. Knock-down of both eIF4E1 and eIF4E2 genes confers broad-spectrum resistance against potyviruses in tomato. PLoS ONE 12: e29595. , , , , .
- 2006. The potyviral virus genome-linked protein VPg forms a ternary complex with the eukaryotic initiation factors eIF4E and eIF4G and reduces eIF4E affinity for a mRNA cap analogue. FEBS Journal 273: 1312–1322. , , , , .
- 2008. Turnip mosaic virus VPg interacts with Arabidopsis thaliana eIF(iso)4E and inhibits in vitro translation. Biochimie 90: 1427–1434. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Replacement of the tyrosine residue that links a potyviral VPg to the viral RNA is lethal. Virology 220: 535–538. , , , .
- 2003. NLSdb: database of nuclear localization signals. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 397–399. , , .
- 2003. The eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E controls lettuce susceptibility to the Potyvirus Lettuce mosaic virus. Plant Physiology 132: 1272–1282. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Nicotiana benthamiana resistance to non-adapted Melon necrotic spot virus results from an incompatible interaction between virus RNA and translation initiation factor 4E. Plant Journal 66: 492–501. , , , , .
- 2004. Uridylylation of the potyvirus VPg by viral replicase NIb correlates with the nucleotide binding capacity of VPg. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 38103–38110. , .
- 2002. Viral genome-linked protein (VPg) controls accumulation and phloem-loading of a potyvirus in inoculated potato leaves. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 138–149. , .
- 2009. Control of nuclear and nucleolar localization of nuclear inclusion protein a of Picorna-like Potato virus A in Nicotiana species. Plant Cell 21: 2485–2502. , .
- 2013. Rationale for developing new virus vectors to analyze gene function in grasses through virus-induced gene silencing. In: Becker A, ed. Virus-induced gene silencing: methods and protocols, methods in molecular biology, vol. 975. New York, NY, USA: Humana Press. 15–32. , , .
- 2004. The NEF4 complex regulates Rad4 levels and utilizes Snf2/Swi2-related ATPase activity for nucleotide excision repair. Molecular and Cellular Biology 24: 6362–6378. , , , , , .
- 2011. Structural flexibility allows the functional diversity of potyvirus genome linked protein VPg. Journal of Virology 85: 2449–2457. , , , .
- 2008. Potato virus A genome-linked protein VPg is an intrinsically disordered molten globule-like protein with a hydrophobic core. Virology 377: 280–288. , , , , , .
- 1999. New advances in understanding the molecular biology of plant/potyvirus interactions. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 12: 367–376. , , , .
- 2006. Requirement of ELC1 for RNA polymerase II polyubiquitylation and degradation in response to DNA damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular and Cellular Biology 26: 3999–4005. , , .
- 2007. ELA1 and CUL3 are required along with ELC1 for RNA polymerase II polyubiquitylation and degradation in DNA-damaged yeast cells. Molecular and Cellular Biology 27: 3211–3216. , , .
- 1992. Highlights and prospects of potyvirus molecular biology. Journal of General Virology 73: 1–16. , , .
- 2009. Allele mining in the pepper gene pool provided new complementation effects between pvr2–eIF4E and pvr6-eIF(iso)4E alleles for resistance to Pepper veinal mottle virus. Journal of General Virology 90: 2808–2814. , , , .
- 2002. A natural recessive resistance gene against Potato virus Y in pepper corresponds to the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E). Plant Journal 32: 1067–1075. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Simultaneous mutations in translation initiation factors eIF4E and eIF(iso)4E are required to prevent Pepper veinal mottle virus infection of pepper. Journal of General Virology 87: 2089–2098. , , , , , .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2011. SAS/STAT® User's Guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63962/PDF/default/statug.pdf
- 2005. Selective involvement of members of the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E family in the infection of Arabidopsis thaliana by potyviruses. FEBS Letters 579: 1167–1171. , , , , .
- 1993. Transcripts of a Maize chlorotic mottle virus cDNA clone replication in maize protoplasts and infect maize plants. Virology 193: 1006–1009. , , .
- 1991. Molecular mechanisms underlying the differential expression of maize pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase genes. Plant Cell 3: 225–245. .
- 2005. Identification by suppression subtractive hybridization of genes that are differentially expressed between near-isogenic maize lines in association with Sugarcane mosaic virus resistance. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 273: 450–461. , , , , , .
- 2013. Functions of rice NAC transcriptional factors, ONAC122 and ONAC131, in defense responses against Magnaporthe grisea. Plant Molecular Biology 81: 41–56. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The Barley stripe mosaic virus system used for virus-induced gene silencing in cereals differentially affects susceptibility to fungal pathogens in wheat. Plant Physiology 168: 990–994. , , , , .
- 2001. Potyvirus proteins: a wealth of functions. Virus Research 74: 157–175. , , .
- 2009. Validation of candidate genes putatively associated with resistance to SCMV and MDMV in maize (Zea mays L.) by expression profiling. BMC Plant Biology 9: 15. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Interaction of the trans-frame Potyvirus protein P3N-PIPO with host protein PCaP1 facilitates potyvirus movement. PLoS Pathogens 8: e1002639. , , , .
- 2004. Visualization of protein interactions in living plant cells using bimolecular fluorescence complementation. Plant Journal 40: 428–438. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-mediated recessive resistance to plant viruses and its utility in crop improvement. Molecular Plant Pathology 13: 795–803. , .
- 2010a. Sequential recruitment of the endoplasmic reticulum and chloroplasts for plant potyvirus replication. Journal of Virology 84: 799–809. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Biogenesis of cytoplasmic membranous vesicles for plant potyvirus replication occurs at endoplasmic reticulum exit sites in a COPI- and COPII-dependent manner. Journal of Virology 82: 12252–12264. , .
- 2010b. Formation of complexes at plasmodesmata for potyvirus intercellular movement is mediated by the viral protein P3N-PIPO. PLoS Pathogens 6: e1000962. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A hitchhiker's guide to the cullin ubiquitin ligases: SCF and its kin. Biochim et Biophysica Acta 1695: 133–170. , , .
- 1997. Interaction of the viral protein genome linked of Turnip mosaic potyvirus with the translational eukaryotic initiation factor (iso)4E of Arabidopsis thaliana using the yeast two-hybrid system. Virology 234: 84–92. , , , .
- 2011. Involvement of Elongin C in the spread of repressive histone modifications. Plant Journal 65: 51–61. , .
- 2007. Functional dissection of naturally occurring amino acid substitutions in eIF4E that confers recessive potyvirus resistance in plants. Plant Cell 19: 2913–2928. , , , , .
- 2003. Induction of APOBEC3G ubiquitination and degradation by an HIV-1 Vif-Cul5-SCF complex. Science 302: 1056–1060. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Real-time TaqMan RT-PCR for detection of Maize chlorotic mottle virus in maize seeds. Journal of Virological Methods 171: 292–294. , , , , , .