Wood nitrogen concentrations in tropical trees: phylogenetic patterns and ecological correlates
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2014 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 204, Issue 3, pages 484–495, November 2014
How to Cite
Martin, A. R., Erickson, D. L., Kress, W. J. and Thomas, S. C. (2014), Wood nitrogen concentrations in tropical trees: phylogenetic patterns and ecological correlates. New Phytologist, 204: 484–495. doi: 10.1111/nph.12943
- Issue online: 14 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2014
- Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Center for Tropical Forest Science
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
- 2000. The evolution of plant ecophysiological traits: recent advances and future directions. BioScience 50: 979–995. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Biomass and nutrient content of sessile oak (Quercus petraea (Matt.) Liebl.) and beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) stem and branches in a mixed stand in southern Belgium. Science of the Total Environment 408: 2285–2294. , , .
- 2007. Determinants of whole-plant light requirements in bornean rain forest tree saplings. Journal of Ecology 95: 1208–1221. , .
- 2010. Decoupled leaf and stem economics in rain forest trees. Ecology Letters 13: 1338–1347. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Physiological ecology of plant succession. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 10: 351–371. .
- 1980. Physiological ecology of tropical succession – a comparative review. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 287–310. , .
- 2012. Relations between wood variables and how they relate to tree size variables of tropical african tree species. Trees-Structure and Function 26: 1101–1112. , , , .
- 2003. Testing for phylogenetic signal in comparative data: behavioral traits are more labile. Evolution 57: 717–745. , , .
- 2007. Estimating divergence times in large phylogenetic trees. Systematic Biology 56: 741–752. , , , , .
- 2007. Bordered pits in ray cells and axial parenchyma: the histology of conduction, storage, and strength in living wood cells. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 153: 157–168. .
- 1980. The mineral-nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 2009. Towards a worldwide wood economics spectrum. Ecology Letters 12: 351–366. , , , , , .
- 1996. Herbivory and plant defenses in tropical forests. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 27: 305–335. , .
- 2006. The importance of demographic niches to tree diversity. Science 313: 98–101. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1966. Nitrogen in wood and its role in wood deterioration. Canadian Journal of Botany 44: 1539–1554. , .
- 1978. Flora of Barro Colorado island. Stanford, CA, USA: Stanford University Press. .
- 1998. Treefall gap size effects on above- and below-ground processes in a tropical wet forest. Journal of Ecology 86: 597–609. , , .
- 2003. Assessing inter- and intra-specific variation in trunk carbon concentration for 32 neotropical tree species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33: 1039–1045. , .
- 2005. Development of forest structure and leaf area in secondary forests regenerating on abandoned pastures in central amazonia. Earth Interactions 9: 1–22. , , , .
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. American Naturalist 125: 1–15. .
- 1992. Procedures for the analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts. Systematic Biology 41: 18–32. , , .
- 1991. The comparative method in evolutionary biology. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , .
- 1999. Biomass, carbon, and nutrient dynamics of secondary forests in a humid tropical region of Mexico. Ecology 80: 1892–1907. , , .
- 2005. The relative importance of carbohydrate and nitrogen for the resprouting ability of Quercus crispula seedlings. Annals of Botany 96: 479–488. , .
- 1984. Seasonal variations in major nitrogenous components in buds, leaves, bark and wood of satsuma mandarin trees. Journal of the Japanese Society for Horticultural Science 53: 17–22. , , .
- 1995. Fire in the Brazilian amazon: 1. Biomass, nutrient pools, and losses in slashed primary forests. Oecologia 104: 397–408. , , , .
- 2010. Picante: R tools for integrating phylogenies and ecology. Bioinformatics 26: 1463–1464. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. The adaptive significance of tree height. American Naturalist 135: 809–828. .
- 2006. The contribution of interspecific variation in maximum tree height to tropical and temperate diversity. Journal of Tropical Ecology 22: 11–24. , , .
- 1997. Carbohydrate allocation to storage as a basis of interspecific variation in sapling survivorship and growth. Oikos 80: 226–233. .
- 2010. Functional trait and phylogenetic tests of community assembly across spatial scales in an amazonian forest. Ecological Monographs 80: 401–422. , .
- 2010. The relationship between wood density and mortality in a global tropical forest data set. New Phytologist 188: 1124–1136. , , , .
- 2009. Plant DNA barcodes and a community phylogeny of a tropical forest dynamics plot in panama. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 18 621–18 626. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Radial variation in wood structure and function in woody plants, and hypotheses for its occurrence. In: Meinzer FC, Dawson T, Lachenbruch BJ, eds. Size- and age-related changes in tree structure and function. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 121–164. , , .
- 2009. Increasing carbon storage in intact african tropical forests. Nature 457: 1003–1006. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Litterfall and nutrient dynamics in a montane moist evergreen broad-leaved forest in ailao mountains, sw china. Plant Ecology 164: 157–170. , , .
- 2011. A reassessment of carbon content in tropical trees. PLoS ONE 6: e23533. , .
- 2013. Size-dependent changes in wood chemical traits: a comparison of neotropical saplings and large trees. AoB Plants 5: plt039. , , .
- 2009. Wood anatomy and wood density in shrubs: responses to varying aridity along transcontinental transects. American Journal of Botany 96: 1388–1398. , , , .
- 2012. Novel forests maintain ecosystem processes after the decline of native tree species. Ecological Monographs 82: 221–238. , , .
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 178–185. , , , .
- 2002. Mineral nutrient concentrations in sapwood and heartwood: a literature review. Annals of Forest Science 59: 713–722. .
- 1966. Role of nitrogen in wood deterioration – amounts and distribution of nitrogen in tree stems. Canadian Journal of Botany 44: 1555–1580. , .
- 2008. Windthrow damage in Picea abies is associated with physical and chemical stem wood properties. Trees-Structure and Function 22: 463–473. , , .
- 2004. Small-seeded species produce more seeds per square metre of canopy per year, but not per individual per lifetime. Journal of Ecology 92: 384–396. , , , .
- 2004. Interspecific and inter-site variation in wood specific gravity of tropical trees. Biotropica 36: 20–32. .
- 2007. Carbohydrate storage enhances seedling shade and stress tolerance in a neotropical forest. Journal of Ecology 95: 383–395. , .
- 1975. Changes in the nitrogen reserves of apples shoots during the dormant season. Journal of Horticultural Science 50: 321–329. , , .
- 2013. Vegan: community ecology package. R package version 2.0-10. [WWW document] URL http://cran.R-project.Org/package=vegan [accessed 1 March 2014]. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A global study of relationships between leaf traits, climate and soil measures of nutrient fertility. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 137–149. , , , , , .
- 2004. Ape: analyses of phylogenetics and evolution in r language. Bioinformatics 20: 289–290. , , .
- 1981. Mineralization and immobization of soil nitrogen by microorganisms. Ecological Bulletins 33: 179–194. , .
- 2007. Carbohydrate storage and light requirements of tropical moist and dry forest tree species. Ecology 88: 1000–1011. , .
- 2010. The importance of wood traits and hydraulic conductance for the performance and life history strategies of 42 rainforest tree species. New Phytologist 185: 481–492. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Are functional traits good predictors of demographic rates? Evidence from five neotropical forests. Ecology 89: 1908–1920. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plant, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 2014. Bark functional ecology: evidence for tradeoffs, functional coordination, and environment producing bark diversity. New Phytologist 201: 486–497. , , , , .
- 2012. Masting in whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) depletes stored nutrients. New Phytologist 196: 189–199. , , , , .
- 1969. The effect of ray tissue on the specific gravity of wood. Wood and Fiber Science 1: 142–145. .
- 2010. Proximate analysis, backwards stepwise regression between gross calorific value, ultimate and chemical analysis of wood. Bioresource Technology 101: 3808–3815. , , .
- 1997. Seasonal fluctuations of low-molecular-weight sugars, starch and nitrogen in sapwood of Pinus sylvestris L. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 12: 216–224. , , .
- 1996. Asymptotic height as a predictor of growth and allometric characteristics malaysian rain forest trees. American Journal of Botany 83: 556–566. .
- 1986. Nitrogen and phosphorus availability in treefall gaps of a lowland tropical rain-forest. Journal of Ecology 74: 1167–1178. , .
- 1986. Nutrient cycling in moist tropical forest. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 17: 137–167. , .
- 2009. Global meta-analysis of wood decomposition rates: a role for trait variation among tree species? Ecology Letters 12: 45–56. , , , , , .
- 2006. Land-plant ecology on the basis of functional traits. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21: 261–268. , .
- 1989. Proteins as a potential nitrogen storage compound in bark and leaves of several softwoods. Trees-Structure and Function 3: 149–153. , .
- 1991. A survey of seasonal bark proteins in eight temperate hardwoods. Trees-Structure and Function 5: 153–157. , .
- 2007. Relationships among ecologically important dimensions of plant trait variation in seven neotropical forests. Annals of Botany 99: 1003–1015. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Plant diversity in tropical forests: a review of mechanisms of species coexistence. Oecologia 130: 1–14. .
- 2010. Functional traits and the growth-mortality trade-off in tropical trees. Ecology 91: 3664–3674. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Gap-dependent recruitment, realized vital rates, and size distributions of tropical trees. Ecology 84: 3174–3185. , , , .
- 2010. Angiosperm wood structure: global patterns in vessel anatomy and their relation to wood density and potential conductivity. American Journal of Botany 97: 207–215. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Responses of tree species to hurricane winds in subtropical wet forest in Puerto Rico – implications for tropical tree life-histories. Journal of Ecology 82: 911–922. , , , , , .
- 1995. Nitrogen immobilization by decomposing woody debris and the recovery of tropical wet forest from hurricane damage. Oikos 72: 314–322. , , , , , , , , , .