Physical activity and maternal obesity: cardiovascular adaptations, exercise recommendations, and pregnancy outcomes
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2013
© 2013 International Life Sciences Institute
Special Issue: IX Nestle Nutrition Conference. Maternal Obesity: Reproduction, Pregnancy, and Offspring Outcomes, November 8–9, 2012, Mexico City, Mexico
Volume 71, Issue Supplement S1, pages S31–S36, October 2013
How to Cite
Mottola, M. F. (2013), Physical activity and maternal obesity: cardiovascular adaptations, exercise recommendations, and pregnancy outcomes. Nutrition Reviews, 71: S31–S36. doi: 10.1111/nure.12064
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2013
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Rx&D Health Research Foundation of Canada
- 1Institute of Medicine, National Research Council (US) Committee to Reexamine IOM Pregnancy Weight Guidelines. Weight Gain during Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2009.
- 2The effect of gestational weight gain by body mass index on maternal and neonatal outcomes. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2009;31:28–35., , , et al.
- 3Obesity in pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2010;239:165–173., , , et al.
- 4Developmental programming in response to maternal overnutrition. Front Genet. 2011;2:1–13., .
- 8Aortic function during normal human pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996;154:887–891., , , et al.
- 13Clinical physiology of exercise in pregnancy: a literature review. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003;25:451–453., .
- 21Performance in the pregnant woman: maternal and foetal considerations. In: Taylor N , Groeller H , eds. Physiological Bases of Human Performance during Work and Exercise. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2008:225–237..
- 26PARmed-X for Pregnancy. Can. Soc. Exerc. Physiol. & Health Canada. Updated 2002;pp1–4: http://www.csep.ca/CMFiles/publications/parq/parmed-xpreg.pdf.%20Accessed%20July%2010, 2013., .
- 28American College of Sports Medicine. In: Whaley MH, Brubaker P, Otto R , eds. Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Exercise Prescription, 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2005:366.
- 32American College of Obstetricians Gynecologists. Exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;99:171–173.
- 33US Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Chapter 7. Published 2008; Available at: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/chapter7.aspx. Accessed September 22, 2012.
- 36Pregnancy and exercise. In: Rosenbloom CA , Coleman E , eds. Sports Nutrition. A Practice Manual for Professionals, 5th ed. Chicago: Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics; 2012:354–368..