Managing obesity in primary care practice: a narrative review
Article first published online: 16 JAN 2013
© 2013 New York Academy of Sciences.
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1281, The Year in Diabetes and Obesity pages 191–206, April 2013
How to Cite
(2013), Managing obesity in primary care practice: a narrative review. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1281: 191–206. doi: 10.1111/nyas.12004
- Issue published online: 1 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 16 JAN 2013
- National Institute of Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Disease. Grant Number: K24-DK065018
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Grant Number: U01-HL087072
- on behalf of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. 2012. Screening for and management of obesity in adults. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann. Intern. Med. 157: 373–378.
- 2010. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA 303: 235–241. , , & .
- Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services. Decision memo for intensive behavioral therapy for obesity (CAG-00423N). Cited June 10, 2012. http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-decision-memo.aspx?&NcaName=Intensive%20Behavioral%20Therapy%20for%20Obesity&bc=ACAAAAAAIAAA&NCAId=253.
- 2012. Lifestyle modification for obesity: new developments in diet, physical activity, and behavior therapy. Circulation 125: 1157–1170. , , & .
- National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. 1998. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. Obes. Res. 6: 51S–210S.
- Look AHEAD Research Group. 2011. Benefits of modest weight loss in improving cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 34: 1481–1486. ;
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. 2002. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N. Engl. J. Med. 346: 393–403. ;
- 2009. Treatment of obesity in primary care practice in the United States: a systematic review. J. Gen. Intern. Med. 24: 1073–1079. & .
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the North American Association for the Study of Obesity. 2000. The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. National Institutes of Health. Bethesda. MD.
- American College of Sports Medicine. 2009. American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 41: 459–471. , , , et al.;
- 2002. Behavioral weight control. In. Handbook of Obesity Treatment. T.A. Wadden & A.J. Stunkard, Eds.: 301–316. Guilford Press. New York.
- 2011. Behavioral treatment of obesity. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am. 34: 841–859. , & .
- 2011. Effectiveness of primary care-relevant treatments for obesity in adults: a systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann. Intern. Med. 155: 434–447. , , , et al.
- 2003. Screening and interventions for obesity in adults: summary of the evidence of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann. Intern. Med. 139: 933–949. , , , et al.
- 1993. Weight loss intervention in phase 1 of the Trials of Hypertension Prevention. Arch. Intern. Med. 153: 849–858. , , , et al.
- 1988. Changes in plasma lipids and lipoproteins in overweight men during weight loss through dieting as compared with exercise. N. Engl. J. Med. 319: 1173–1179. , , , et al.
- 1991. The effects on plasma lipoproteins of a prudent weight-reducing diet, with or without exercise, in overweight men and women. N. Engl. J. Med. 325: 461–466. , , & .
- 1995. Barriers to providing nutrition counseling by physicians: a survey of primary care practitioners. Prev. Med. 24: 546–552.
- 2011. Motivational interviewing for weight loss. Psychiatr. Clin. N. Am. 34: 861–869. & .
- 2012. Medical therapy for the patient with obesity. Circulation 125: 695–703. & .
- 2010. A primary care intervention for weight loss: results of a randomized controlled pilot study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18: 1614–1618. , , , et al.
- 2006. A primary care weight management intervention for low-income African-American women. Obesity 14: 1412–1420. , , , et al.
- 2008. Weight loss maintenance following a primary care intervention for low-income minority women. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16: 2462–2467. , , , et al.
- 2008. Clinic-based support to help overweight patients with type 2 diabetes increase physical activity and lose weight. Arch. Intern. Med. 168: 141–146. , , , et al.
- 1999. Effect of physician-delivered nutrition counseling training and an office-support program on saturated fat intake, weight, and serum lipid measurements in a hyperlipidemic population: Worcester Area Trial for Counseling in Hyperlipidemia (WATCH). Arch. Intern. Med. 159: 725–731. , , , et al.
- 1991. Weight reduction in obese hypertensive patients. Fam. Med. 23: 25–28. , & .
- 2001. Weight control in the physician's office. Arch. Intern. Med. 161: 1599–1604. , , , et al.
- 2003. Weight management using a meal replacement strategy: meta and pooling analysis from six studies. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. 27: 537–549. , , , et al.
- 1998. The LEARN Program for Weight Control: Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitudes, Relationships, Nutrition. American Health Publishing. Dallas.
- 1999. Long-term maintenance of weight loss after a very-low-calorie diet: a randomized blinded trial of the efficacy and tolerability of sibutramine. Am. J. Med. 106: 179–184. , , , et al.
- 2000. Orlistat in the long-term treatment of obesity in primary care settings. Arch. Fam. Med. 9: 160–167. , , , et al.
- 2006. Evaluation of a primary care-oriented brief counselling intervention for obesity with and without orlistat. J. Intern. Med. 260: 388–398. , , , et al.
- 2000. The LEARN Program for Weight Control: Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitudes, Relationships, Nutrition. American Health Publishing. Dallas.
- 2005. Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity. N. Engl. J. Med. 353: 2111–2120. , , , et al.
- 2010. Effect of sibutramine on cardiovascular outcomes in overweight and obese subjects. N. Engl. J. Med. 363: 905–917. , , , et al.
- 1999. The LEARN Program for Weight Control: Special Medication Edition. American Health Publishing. Dallas. & .
- 2010. Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight management. N. Engl. J. Med. 363: 245–256. , , , et al.
- 2012. Two-year sustained weight loss and metabolic benefits with controlled-release phentermine-topiramate in obese and overweight adults (SEQUEL): a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 3 extension study. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 95: 297–308. , , , et al.
- The Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. 2002. The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP): description of lifestyle intervention. Diabetes Care 25: 2165–2171.
- 2011. A two-year randomized trial of obesity treatment in primary care practice. N. Engl. J. Med. 365: 1969–1979. , , , et al.
- 2010. Independent but coordinated trials: insights from the practice-based opportunities for Weight Reduction Trials Collaborative Research Group. Clin. Trials 7: 322–332. , , , et al.
- 2012. One-year results of the Think Health! Study of weight management in primary care practices. Obesity 20: 1249–1257. , , , et al.
- 2009. Preventing weight gain: one-year results of a randomized lifestyle intervention. Am. J. Prev. Med. 37: 270–277. , , , et al.
- 2010. Nonsurgical weight loss for extreme obesity in primary care settings: results of the Louisiana Obese Subjects Study. Arch. Intern. Med. 170: 146–154. , , , et al.
- 2007. Comparison of a phone vs clinic approach to achieve 10% weight loss. Int. J. Obes. 31: 1270–1276. , , , et al.
- 2008. Extended-care programs for weight management in rural communities: the treatment of obesity in underserved rural settings (TOURS) randomized trial. Arch. Intern. Med. 168: 2347–2354. , , , et al.
- 2011. Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice. N. Engl. J. Med. 365: 1959–1968. , , , et al.
- 2009. Weight loss by mobile phone: a 1-year effectiveness study. Public Health Nutr. 12: 2382–2391. , , , et al.
- 2003. Effects of internet behavioral counseling on weight loss in adults at risk for type 2 diabetes: a randomized trial. JAMA 289: 1833–1836. , & .
- 2010. Internet delivered behavioral obesity treatment. Prev. Med. 51: 123–128. , , , et al.
- 2005. Transtheoretical model-chronic disease care for obesity in primary care: a randomized trial. Obes. Res. 13: 917–927. , , , et al.
- 2008. Kansas primary care weighs in: a pilot randomized trial of a chronic care model program for obesity in three rural Kansas primary care practices. J. Rural Health 24: 125–132. , , , et al.
- 2012. Obesity treatment for socioeconomically disadvantaged patients in primary care practice. Arch. Intern. Med. 172: 565–574. , , , et al.
- 2010. Web-based weight loss in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18: 308–313. , , , et al.
- 2007. Adapting the Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle intervention for delivery in the community: the YMCA model. Diabetes Educ. 33: 69–78. & .
- 2008. Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program into the community. The DEPLOY Pilot Study. Am. J. Prev. Med. 35: 357–363. , , , et al.
- 2011. Primary care referral to a commercial provider for weight loss treatment versus standard care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 378: 1485–1492. , , , et al.
- 2011. Comparison of range of commercial or primary care led weight reduction programmes with minimal intervention control for weight loss in obesity: lighten up randomised controlled trial. BMJ 343:doi: 10.1136/bmj.d6500. , , , et al.
- 2005. Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States. Ann. Intern. Med. 142: 56–66 & .
- 2012. Evaluation of the effectiveness of making Weight Watchers available to Tennessee Medicaid (TennCare) recipients. J. Gen. Intern. Med.; doi: 10.1007/s11606-012-2083-8. , , & .
- 2010. Effect of a free prepared meal and incentivized weight loss program on weight loss and weight loss maintenance in obese and overweight women. JAMA 304: 1803–1811. , , , et al.
- 2007. Randomized trial of a multifaceted commercial weight loss program. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15: 939–949. , , & .
- 2009. The effects of a commercially available weight loss program among obese patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized study. Postgrad. Med. 121: 113–118. , , , et al.
- 2006. The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: an update and meta-analysis. Obesity 14: 1283–1293. & .
- 1999. Long-term weight maintenance after an intensive weight-loss program. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 18: 620–627. , , & .
- 1992. A multicenter evaluation of a proprietary weight reduction program for the treatment of marked obesity. Arch. Intern. Med. 152: 961–966. , , & .
- 1997. Exercise in the treatment of obesity: effects of four interventions on body composition, resting energy expenditure, appetite, and mood. J. Consult Clin. Psychol. 65: 269–277. , , , et al.
- 2011. Surgical treatments for obesity. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am. 34: 881–893. , & .
- 2009. Narrative review: effect of bariatric surgery on type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann. Intern. Med. 150: 94–103. , , & .
- 2004. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 292: 1724–1737. , , , et al.
- 2005. Meta-analysis: surgical treatment of obesity. Ann. Intern. Med. 142: 547–559. , , , et al.
- 2005. Early mortality among Medicare beneficiaries undergoing bariatric surgical procedures. JAMA 294: 1903–1908. , , , et al.
- 2006. Weight gain after short- and long-limb gastric bypass in patients followed for longer than 10 years. Ann. Surg. 244: 734–740. , & .