Members of the writing group for this manuscript, listed in order of their contribution to the writing of the manuscript.
Monitoring and benchmarking government policies and actions to improve the healthiness of food environments: a proposed Government Healthy Food Environment Policy Index
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Obesity Reviews published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: INFORMAS (International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases, Research, Monitoring and Action Support): rationale, framework and approach
Volume 14, Issue Supplement S1, pages 24–37, October 2013
How to Cite
Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Kraak, V., Sacks, G., Snowdon, W., Hawkes, C., Barquera, S., Friel, S., Kelly, B., Kumanyika, S., L'Abbé, M., Lee, A., Lobstein, T., Ma, J., Macmullan, J., Mohan, S., Monteiro, C., Neal, B., Rayner, M., Sanders, D., Walker, C. and INFORMAS (2013), Monitoring and benchmarking government policies and actions to improve the healthiness of food environments: a proposed Government Healthy Food Environment Policy Index. Obesity Reviews, 14: 24–37. doi: 10.1111/obr.12073
- Issue published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Rockefeller Foundation
- International Obesity Taskforce (IOTF)
- University of Auckland
- Deakin University
- George Institute
- University of Sydney
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Oxford
- University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- World Cancer Research Fund International
- University of Toronto
- Australian National University
- Faculty of Health at Deakin University
- 1Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380: 2095–2128., , et al.
- 2A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380: 2224–2260., , et al.
- 3World Health Organization. Draft action plan for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases 2013–2020. 66th World Health Assembly Provisional Agenda item 13.2. Report by the Secretariat. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2013.
- 4World Health Organization. Follow-up to the Political Declaration of the High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases. Draft Resolution. Sixty-sixth World Health Assembly, Agenda item 13. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2013.
- 5World Health Organization. Draft action plan for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases 2013–2020. Report by the Secretariat. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2013, 11 January 2013. (EB132/7).
- 6Measuring progress on NCDs: one goal and five targets. Lancet 2012; 380: 1283–1285., , et al.
- 9Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures. Am J Health Promot 2005; 19: 330–333, ii., , , .
- 12The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet 2011; 378: 804–814., , et al.
- 13Measuring progress on diet-related NCDs: the need to address the causes of the causes. Lancet 2013; 381: 903–904., , .
- 14Tackling the global NCD crisis: innovations in law and governance. J Law Med Ethics 2013; 41: 16–27., .
- 15INFORMAS (International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases Research, Monitoring and Action Support): overview and key principles. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 1–12., , et al.
- 17World Health Organization. Monitoring the Building Blocks of Health Systems: A Handbook of Indicators and their Measurement Strategies. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2010.
- 19Bridging the Evidence Gap in Obesity Prevention: A Framework to Inform Decision Making. Institute of Medicine: Wahington D.C., 2010., , .
- 20Changing the future of obesity: science, policy, and action. Lancet 2011; 378: 838–847., , et al.
- 24WHO Director-General addresses health promotion conference. Opening address at the 8th Global Conference on Health Promotion Helsinki 10 June 2013, 2013. [WWW document]. URL http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2013/health_promotion_20130610/en/index.html (accessed 30 August 2013)..
- 29Monitoring the levels of important nutrients in the food supply. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 49–58., , et al.
- 31Monitoring the health-related labelling of foods and non-alcoholic beverages in retail settings. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 70–81., , et al.
- 32Monitoring the price and affordability of foods and diets globally. Obes Rev 2013; in press., , et al.
- 33Monitoring foods and beverages provided and sold in public sector settings. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 96–107., , et al.
- 34Monitoring the availability of healthy and unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages in community and consumer retail food environments globally. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 108–119., , et al.
- 35Monitoring the impacts of trade agreements on food environments. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 120–134., , et al.
- 36World Health Organization. Everybody Business: Strengthening Health Systems to Improve Health Outcomes. WHO's Framework for Action. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2007.
- 37A health in all policies approach to promote active, healthy lifestyle in Israel. Isr J Health Policy Res 2013; 2: 16., , , , , .
- 38Health in All Policies: An EU literature review 2006–2011 and interview with key stakeholders, 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://www.equitychannel.net/uploads/HiAP%20%20Final%20Report%20May%202012.pdf (accessed 12 July 2013)., .
- 39American Lung Association. State of Tobacco Control 2013, 2013. [WWW document]. URL http://www.stateoftobaccocontrol.org/state-grades/state-rankings/ (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 40World Health Organization. WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, 2003. [WWW document]. URL http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2003/9241591013.pdf (accessed April 2012).
- 41Monitoring policy and actions on food environments: rationale and outline of the INFORMAS policy engagement and communication strategies. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 13–23., , et al.
- 43Food Standards Agency. UK salt intake levels heading in the right direction, 2008. [WWW document]. URL http://food.gov.uk/scotland/news-updates/news/pressreleases/2008/jul/saltintakelevels (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 45Change in trans fatty acid content of fast-food purchases associated with New York City's restaurant regulation: a pre–post study. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157: 81–86., , , , .
- 46Department of Health Republic of South-Africa. Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants (54/1972): Regulations relating to the reduction of sodium in certain foodstuffs and related matters. Government Gazette, 2012.
- 49Committee on Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols (Phase II) (ed.). Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols. Institute of Medicine: Washington D.C., 2011.
- 50Redefining public health in New York City. Lancet 2012; 379: 2037–2038..
- 51Department of Health. Public Health Responsibility Deal. F1 Out of Home Calorie Labelling. Department of Health, 2013; [WWW document]. URL https://responsibilitydeal.dh.gov.uk/pledges/pledge/?pl=8 (accessed 1 July 2013).
- 52Institute of Medicine. Food Marketing to Children: Threat or Opportunity? National Academies Press: Washington, DC, 2006.
- 53The Extent, Nature and Effects of Food Promotion to Children: A Review of the Evidence to December 2008. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2009., , .
- 55Exposing the Charade: The Failure to Protect Children from Unhealthy Food Advertising. Obesity Policy Coalition: Melbourne, 2012., , .
- 57Association between state laws governing school meal nutrition content and student weight status: implications for new USDA school meal standards. JAMA Pediatr 2013; 167: 513–519., , , .
- 61Los Angeles to vote on fast food ban. The Huffington Post; 2008. [WWW document]. URL http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/29/los-angeles-to-vote-on-fa_n_115620.html (accessed 30 January 2013).
- 63The use of zoning to restrict fast food outlets: A potential strategy to combat obesity. The Center for Law and the Public's Health at Johns Hopkins and Georgetown Universities, 2005., , .
- 75World Health Organization. 2008–2013 Action Plan for the Global Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases: Prevention and Control Cardiovascular Diseases, Cancers, Chronic Respiratory Diseases and Diabetes. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2008.
- 80World Health Organization. Preventing Chronic Diseases: A Vital Investment. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2005.
- 81Tracking global funding for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases. Bull World Health Organ 2012; 90: 479–A..
- 82Securing Our Future Health: Taking a Long-term View. Final Report. HM Treasury: London, 2002..
- 83Securing Good Health for the Whole Population. Final Report. HM Treasury: London, 2004..
- 86World Health Organization. Effective approaches for strengthening multisectoral actions for NCDs. WHO Discussion Paper 1. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2012.
- 89Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. FAOSTAT. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2013. [WWW document]. URL http://faostat.fao.org/ (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 90Handbook of Inter-rater Reliability. The Definitive Guide to Measuring the Extent of Agreement among Multiple Raters, 3rd edn. Advanced Analytics: Gaithersburg, MD, USA, 2012..
- 91World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. WHO European database on nutrition, obesity and physical activity (NOPA). World Health Organization, 2011.
- 92World Health Organization. e-Library of Evidence for Nutrition Action (eLena). World Health Organization, 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://www.who.int/elena/en/index.html (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 93World Health Organization. Global database on the Implementation of Nutrition Action (GINA). World Health Organization, 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://www.who.int/nutrition/gina/en/index.html (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 94World Health Organization. Nutrition Landscape Information System (NLIS). World Health Organization, 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://www.who.int/nutrition/nlis/en/index.html (accessed 12 July 2013).
- 95World Health Organization. Global Infobase. World Health Organization, 2012. [WWW document]. URL https://apps.who.int/infobase/ (accessed 12 July 2013).