Members of the writing group for this manuscript, listed in order of their contribution to the writing of the manuscript.
Monitoring the health-related labelling of foods and non-alcoholic beverages in retail settings
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Obesity Reviews published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: INFORMAS (International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases, Research, Monitoring and Action Support): rationale, framework and approach
Volume 14, Issue Supplement S1, pages 70–81, October 2013
How to Cite
Rayner, M., Wood, A., Lawrence, M., Mhurchu, C. N., Albert, J., Barquera, S., Friel, S., Hawkes, C., Kelly, B., Kumanyika, S., L'Abbé, M., Lee, A., Lobstein, T., Ma, J., Macmullan, J., Mohan, S., Monteiro, C., Neal, B., Sacks, G., Sanders, D., Snowdon, W., Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Walker, C. and INFORMAS (2013), Monitoring the health-related labelling of foods and non-alcoholic beverages in retail settings. Obesity Reviews, 14: 70–81. doi: 10.1111/obr.12077
- Issue published online: 17 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2013
- The Rockefeller Foundation
- International Obesity Taskforce (IOTF)
- University of Auckland
- Deakin University
- The George Institute
- University of Sydney
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Oxford
- University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- World Cancer Research Fund International
- University of Toronto
- The Australian National University
- Faculty of Health at Deakin University
- 1Codex Alimentarius Commission. Codex General Standard for the Labelling of Prepackaged Foods, (CODEX STAN 1–1985). 2010. Rome, Amended 1991, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2010.
- 5Institute of Medicine Committee on Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols (Phase II). Front-of-package nutrition rating systems and symbols. Institute of Medicine: Washington, D.C., 2011.
- 9A review of European research on consumer response to nutrition information on food labels. J Public Health 2007; 15: 385–399., .
- 10World Health Organization. Nutrition labels and health claims: the global regulatory environment: Geneva, 2004.
- 11Codex Alimentarius Commission. Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (CAC/GL 2–1985). 2012. Rome, Adopted 1985, revised 1993 and 2011, amended 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, annex adopted 2011.
- 12Codex Alimentarius Commission. Guidelines for use of Nutrition and Health Claims (CAC/GL 23–1997). 2012. Rome, Adopted in 1997, revised in 2004, amended in 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, annex adopted 2009.
- 13Government and voluntary policies on nutrition labelling: a global overview. In: Albert J (ed.). Innovations in food Labelling, Woodhead Food Series no. 184. Woodhead Publishing Ltd: Cambridge, 2010, pp. 37–58..
- 14International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases Research, Monitoring and Action Support (INFORMAS): overview and key principles. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 1–12., , et al.
- 15Monitoring foods and beverages provided and sold in public sector settings. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 96–107., , et al.
- 16Nutrition, health & related claims: pilot survey of nutrition, health and related claims in South Australia. South Australia Department of Health, 2006..
- 21A survey of nutrition labels and fats, sugars, and sodium ingredients in commercial packaged foods in Hangzhou, China. Public Health Rep 2011; 126: 116–122., , et al.
- 26Nutritional aspects of food labeling in Saudi Arabia. Ahfad J 2001; 18: 17–29..
- 37AsureQuality Australia Pty Ltd. Ongoing Food Label Monitoring Survey in Australia and New Zealand: report on the assessment of 2005 labels for key mandatory labelling elements for consistency against labelling provisions (phase 2 report): Canberra, 2008.
- 41Food Standards Agency. Audit of the range of health claims made for foods on the UK market in September 2003, 2003.
- 42Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2003.
- 43Monitoring the levels of important nutrients in the food supply. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 49–58., , et al.
- 44Monitoring the price and affordability of foods and diets globally. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 82–95., , et al.
- 45A proposed approach to assessing the extent to which the policies and actions of private sector organisations affect food environments and influence obesity/non-communicable diseases prevention efforts. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 38–48., , et al.
- 46The government healthy food environment policy index for monitoring and benchmarking government policies and actions to improve the healthiness of food environments. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 24–37., , et al.
- 47European Union. EU Regulation no. 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers. Brussels, 2011.