Members of the writing group for this manuscript, listed in order of their contribution to the writing of the manuscript.
Monitoring the impacts of trade agreements on food environments
Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Obesity Reviews published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: INFORMAS (International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases, Research, Monitoring and Action Support): rationale, framework and approach
Volume 14, Issue Supplement S1, pages 120–134, October 2013
How to Cite
Friel, S., Hattersley, L., Snowdon, W., Thow, A.-M., Lobstein, T., Sanders, D., Barquera, S., Mohan, S., Hawkes, C., Kelly, B., Kumanyika, S., L'Abbe, M., Lee, A., Ma, J., Macmullan, J., Monteiro, C., Neal, B., Rayner, M., Sacks, G., Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Walker, C. and INFORMAS (2013), Monitoring the impacts of trade agreements on food environments. Obesity Reviews, 14: 120–134. doi: 10.1111/obr.12081
- Issue online: 17 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 SEP 2013
- The Rockefeller Foundation
- International Obesity Taskforce (IOTF)
- University of Auckland
- Deakin University
- George Institute
- University of Sydney
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Oxford
- University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- World Cancer Research Fund International
- University of Toronto
- Australian National University
- Faculty of Health at Deakin University
- 1Globalization, trade and the nutrition transition. In: Labonte R , Schrecker T , Packer C , Runnels V (eds). Globalization and Health: Pathways, Evidence and Policy. Routledge: New York, 2009, pp. 235–262., , .
- 3FAO. The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2008: High Food Prices and Food Security – Threats and Opportunities. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: Rome, 2008.
- 4Equity, food security and health equity in the Asia Pacific Region. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2009; 18: 620–632., .
- 6An overview of global food trade. In: Hawkes C , Blouin C , Henson S , Drager N , Dube L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. Chichester. John Wiley & Sons Ltd: West Sussex, 2010, pp. 16–34., .
- 7Beyond market access. In: Chauffour J , Maur J (eds). Preferential Trade Agreement Policies for Development: A Handbook. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank: Washington DC, 2011, pp. 17–36., .
- 8Landscape. In: Chauffour J , Maur J (eds). Preferential Trade Agreements Policies for Development: A handbook. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank: Washington DC, 2011, pp. 37–68., , , .
- 9United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP). Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report 2011: Post-Crisis Trade and Investment Opportunities. United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific: Bangkok, 2011.
- 1021st century regionalism: filling the gap between 21st century and 20th century trade rules. Policy Insights 2011 No.56. Geneva: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 2011..
- 11World Bank. World Development Report 2006: Equity and Development. World Bank: Washington, DC, 2005.
- 12World Bank. World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development. World Bank: Washington, DC, 2008.
- 13World Bank. World Development Report 2010: Development and Climate Change. The World Bank: Washington DC, 2010.
- 14Globalization and Health: Pathways, Evidence and Policy. Routledge: New York, 2009., , , .
- 15Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH). Closing the gap in a generation: Health Equity through Action on the Social Determinants of Health. Final Report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2008.
- 19Freedom to lead a life we have reason to value? A spotlight on health inequity in the Asia Pacific region. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2011; 23 (2): 246–263., , et al.
- 21Trade liberalization and the diet transition: a public health response. Health Promot Int 2007; 21(S1): 67–74., , , .
- 23Globalization, Food and Nutrition Transitions. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2005., , , , .
- 24International Network for Food and Obesity/non-communicable diseases Research, Monitoring and Action Support (INFORMAS): overview and key principles. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 1–12., , et al.
- 28The effect of trade and trade policy on diet and health in the Pacific Islands. In: Hawkes C , Blouin C , Henson S , Drager N , Dubé L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. Wiley Blackwell: Oxford, 2010, pp. 147–168., .
- 29Trade Agreements and Non-communicable Diseases in the Pacific Islands. Pacific NCD Forum 2011., , .
- 36Food without thought: How U.S. Farm Policy Contributes to Obesity. Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy: Minneapolis, MN, 2006., .
- 37Agriculture, trade and obesity prevention. In: Pan American Conference on Obesity, with special attention to Childhood Obesity, June 8–11, 2011; Oranjestad, Aruba..
- 38Oxfam. PACER Plus and its alternatives: which way for trade and development in the Pacific? Oxfam briefing paper 2009. Oxfam Australia and Oxfam New Zealand; 2009.
- 39The Australia-US Free Trade Agreement: a contest of interests. J Aust Polit Econ 2006; 57: 30–56..
- 41Globalization and Policy Space for Health and Social Determinants of Health. University of Ottawa: Ottawa, 2008., , .
- 44USTR. 2010 Report on Technical Barriers to Trade. Washington DC: The Office of the United States Trade Representative; 2010.
- 46Methodology for Impact Assessment of Free Trade Agreements. Asian Development Bank: Manila, Philippines, 2010., , .
- 47Trade and development: assessing the impact of trade liberalisation on sustainable development. J World Trade 2004; 38: 441–469., .
- 48European Commission. Handbook for Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment. European Commission: Brussels, 2006.
- 49Free trade agreements in Peru and Colombia: monitoring future impacts from a gender perspective. Ottawa, ON: North-South Institute; 2012..
- 50Human rights impact assessments of trade agreements: reflections on practice and principles for future assessments. Background paper for the Expert Seminar on Human Rights Impact Assessments of Trade and Investment Agreements, June 23–24, 2010; Geneva, Switzerland..
- 51The Role of Health Impact Assessment. Nuffield Trust: London, 2006., , .
- 53Monitoring foods and beverages provided and sold in public sector settings. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 96–107., , et al.
- 55Monitoring policy and actions on food environments: rationale and outline of the INFORMAS policy engagement and communication strategies. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 13–23., , et al.
- 56Monitoring the availability of healthy and unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages in community and consumer retail food environments globally. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 108–119., , et al.
- 57Monitoring the health-related labelling of foods and non-alcoholic beverages in retail settings. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 70–81., , et al.
- 58A proposed approach to assessing the extent to which the policies and actions of private sector organisations affect food environments and influence obesity/non-communicable diseases prevention efforts. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 38–48., , et al.
- 59The government healthy food environment policy index for monitoring and benchmarking government policies and actions to improve the healthiness of food environments. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 24–37., , et al.
- 60World Health Organization (WHO). Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases. Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 916. WHO: Geneva, 2003.
- 63Monitoring and benchmarking population diet quality globally: a step-wise approach. Obes Rev 2013; 14 (Suppl. 1): 135–149., , et al.
- 64US passes bill to normalise trade with Vietnam. Food Navigator USA. 2006; 12 December 2006..
- 65VietNamNet. How Coca Cola gave Vietnamese partners a boot? VietNamNet. 2013; 10 February, 2013.
- 66Dunkin' to enter Vietnam as part of massive Asia expansion. Food Navigator USA. 2013; 31 January, 2013..
- 67Food Navigator USA. PepsiCo inaugurates sixth plant in Vietnam. Food Navigator USA. 2012; 19 March 2012.
- 68Warc. Starbucks targets Vietnam. Warc, 4 January 2013.
- 69Timely entrance into Vietnam for Baskin Robbins. Food Navigator USA. 2012; 10 January 2012..
- 70Euromonitor International. Ice cream in Vietnam. 2013.
- 71Glossary of trade terms. In: Hawkes C , Blouin C , Henson S , Drager N , Dube L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet, and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. John Wiley & Sons Ltd: West Sussex, 2010, pp. 299–300..
- 72The Influence of trade liberalisation and global dietry change: The case of vegetable oils, meat and highly processed food. In: Hawkes C , Blovin C , Henson S , Drager N , Dube L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet, and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. John Wiley & Sons Ltd: West Sussex, 2010, p. 37..