Trade policy and obesity prevention: challenges and innovation in the Pacific Islands
Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Obesity Reviews published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: Program and Policy Options for Preventing Obesity in the Low, Middle, and Transitional Income Countries
Volume 14, Issue Supplement S2, pages 150–158, November 2013
How to Cite
Snowdon, W. and Thow, A. M. (2013), Trade policy and obesity prevention: challenges and innovation in the Pacific Islands. Obesity Reviews, 14: 150–158. doi: 10.1111/obr.12090
- Issue online: 23 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 SEP 2013 06:45AM EST
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2013
- Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Center
- University of North Carolina Nutrition Transition Program
- International Development Research Center, Canada
- 1Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat. Forty-Second Pacific Islands Forum. Auckland, New Zealand. Forum Communique 2011.
- 3Mortality data in the Kingdom of Tonga: a review of changing trends over the ten years since 1996. Health Inf Manag J 2007; 36: 43–48., .
- 5American Samoa NCD Risk Factors STEPS Report. World Health Organization: Suva, 2007., , et al.
- 6Ministry of Health. National Nutrition Survey. Ministry of Health: Suva, 2007.
- 8Ministry of Health. Global School-Based Student Health Survey. Tonga factsheet. Government of Tonga: Nuku'alofa, 2011.
- 10Lifestyle Diseases in Pacific Communities. Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Noumea, 2000..
- 14Food Secure Pacific Working Group. Towards a Food Secure Pacific. SWAHS: Sydney, 2010.
- 17Acceding countries as pawns in a power play: a case study of the Pacific Islands. Multilateralism at the Crossroads: Geneva, 2004..
- 18The Implications of Free Trade Agreements for Food Sovereignty in the Pacific Island Nations. Pacific Network on Globalisation: Suva. 2012., , .
- 20A critical assessment of proposes EU-ACP Economic Partnership Agreements. In: Mold A (ed.). Eu Development Policy in a Changing World: Challenges for the 21st Century. Amsterdam University Press: Amsterdam, 2007, pp. 199–219., , .
- 22Quarterly Foreign Trade Report April–June 2012. Government of Tonga: Nuku'alofa, 2012..
- 23New Zealand's impact on health in the South Pacific: scope for improvement? N Z Med J 2009; 122: 60–68., , .
- 24Pacific Islands and the WTO power politics of accession. South Bull 2004; 86: 406–412..
- 25Forum Secretariat. Pacific Islands and Countries Trade Agreement. Forum Secretariat: Suva, 2001.
- 26The effect of trade and trade policy on diet and health in the Pacific Islands. In: Hawkes C , Blouin C , Henson S , Drager N , Dubé L (eds). Trade, Food, Diet and Health: Perspectives and Policy Options. Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford, 2010, pp. 147–168., .
- 27Nutrition in the South Pacific – past and present. J Food Nutr 1982; 39: 121–125..
- 28Jansen A , Parkinson S , Robertson A (eds). Food and Nutrition in Fiji. Fiji School of Medicine and the University of the South Pacific: Suva, 1990.
- 29The rocky road from roots to rice: a review of the changing food and nutrition situation in Papua New Guinea. P N G Med J 2001; 44: 151–163..
- 35No room in the ark?: Climate change and biodiversity in the Pacific Islands of Oceania. Pacific Conserv Biol 2011; 17: 199–200..
- 36Food Security in the South Pacific Island Countries with Special Reference to the Fiji Islands. In: Research UNU-WIfED (ed.): 2006. [WWW document]. URL http://www.wider.unu.edu/publications/working-papers/research-papers/2006/en_GB/rp2006-68/_files/78091782734546722/default/rp2006-68.pdf (accessed January 2013)..
- 37Ministry of Primary Industries. Agriculture Strategic Development Plan 2010–2012. Ministry of Primary Industries: Suva, 2009. [WWW document]. URL http://www.agriculture.org.fj/_resources/main/files/DOA%20SDP%202010-2014.pdf (accessed January 2011).
- 38Economic contribution and analysis of supply chain of Tongan squash pumpkin industry. Asian J Manage Res 2010; 1: 139–156., .
- 39Government of Tonga. Merchandise Trade Statistics 1990–2012. Department of Statistics: Nuku'alofa, 2013.
- 40New documentary film reveals Tonga's lackluster WTO experience. Vanuatu Daily: Port Vila, 2012..
- 42Government of Fiji. Food Safety Act. 2003.
- 43Government of the Solomon Islands. Pure food (food control) regulations. 2009.
- 44World Health Organization. Meeting report on training course on risk-based food inspection and certification in the Pacific. WHO and FAO: Wellington, 2009.
- 45Funding for HIV and non-communicable diseases: implications for priority setting in the Pacific region. Nossal Institute for Global Health: Melbourne 2010. [WWW document]. URL http://www.aihi.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/331753/HPHF_hub_WP1.pdf (accessed November 2012)., .
- 46SPC & WHO. 2-1-22 Pacific NCD programme Implementation Plan (2008–2011). SPC/WHO: 2008.
- 47Diet, health and the nutrition transition: some impacts of economic and socio-economic factors on food consumption patterns in the Kingdom of Tonga. Pac Health Dialog 2002; 9: 309–315., , , .
- 51C-POND, SPC, UNDP, WHO. Trade, trade agreements and non-communicable disease in the Pacific Islands. Intersections, lessons leaned, challenges and ways forward. UNDP: Suva, 2013.
- 52Minister for Finance. Financial Statement (Appropriation Bill 2012–13). Cook Islands, 2012.
- 53Secretariat of the Pacific Community. Pacific Trade Statistics Database. 2013. [WWW document]. URL http://www.pacifictradestatistics.com/index.cfm (accessed March 2013).
- 54‘Sin’ tax increases proposed. Saipan Tribune: 2013..
- 55Ministry of Finance. Budget Statement for 2012. Government of Fiji: Suva, 2011.
- 56Ministry of Finance. Budget Statement for 2013. Government of Fiji: Suva, 2012.
- 57Improving diets and controlling noncommunicable diseases: Ways forward for the Pacific Islands. Meeting on improving Food Supply to reduce NCD risk factors in the Pacific. World Health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office: Sydney, 2008., .
- 59Government of Fiji. Food and Safety (Amendment) regulations. In: Health Mo (ed.): 2012.
- 64Ministry of Health, NZAID, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Joint report: impact of New Zealand export of sheep meat (mutton and lamb) flaps on obesity and chronic disease in Pacific Island Countries. Government of New Zealand: Wellington, 2007.
- 65Cheap Meat: Flap Food Nations in the Pacific Islands. Chapter 6: Pacific Island Flaps. University of California Press: Berkeley, 2009., .
- 67Republic of South Africa. Government Gazette Staatskoerant. 9787: 2012.
- 68Fair Trading Decree 1992 (Decree no. 25 of 1992) (Section 102): Order prohibiting the supply of lamb flaps. In: Ministry of Commerce, Business Development and Investment (ed.). Government of Fiji: 2000..
- 69The food and nutrition system in Tonga, the roles and functions of relevant jurisdictions with respect to the development and implementation of appropriate legislative provisions, and related capacity-building requirements. Deakin University: Melbourne, 2004., .
- 70Choosing between free trade and public health. Bloomberg Business Week, 2011..
- 71Prohibition order on the importation of turkey tails, Pursuant to Section 49 of the Customs Act 1977. Ministry for Revenue, Government of Samoa. Published in The Samoa Observer, 20 September 2007: 2007..
- 72Samoa at final stages of WTO admission: but there've been challenges along the way. Islands Business: online 2010..
- 73World Trade Organization. Report of the working party on the accession of Samoa to the World Trade Organization. WT/ACC/SAM/30WT/MIN(11)/1. 2011.
- 74Managing the pursuit of health and wealth: the key challenges. Lancet 2009; 24: 325–331., , .
- 75Government of Fiji. Developments in Rotuma. Prime Ministers Office: 2011. [WWW document]. URL http://www.pmoffice.gov.fj/index.php/projects/rotuma-development (accessed March 2013).
- 77The potential of food regulation as a policy instrument for obesity prevention in developing countries. In: Crawford D , Jeffrey R (eds). Obesity Prevention and Public Health. Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2005, pp. 336–352..
- 78Minister for Finance. Republic of Nauru 2007–08 Budget. Government of Nauru: Nauru 2007.
- 79Minister of Finance. Financial Statement (Appropriation Bill 2012–13). Hansard: 2012. [WWW document]. URL http://www.mfem.gov.ck/docs/Treasury/Budget/2012-13/Minister's%20Speech%20-%20Budget%20estimates%202012-13.pdf (accessed March 2013).
- 80Ministry of Finance and National Planning. 2006 Budget Speech. Government of Fiji: Suva. 2006.
- 81Ministry of Finance and National Planning. Budget Speech. Government of Fiji: Suva. 2007.