Co-author email: AW: firstname.lastname@example.org
High Income Country Efforts
Progress on obesity prevention over 20 years in Australia and New Zealand
Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Obesity Reviews published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Special Issue: Program and Policy Options for Preventing Obesity in the Low, Middle, and Transitional Income Countries
Volume 14, Issue Supplement S2, pages 60–68, November 2013
How to Cite
Swinburn, B. and Wood, A. (2013), Progress on obesity prevention over 20 years in Australia and New Zealand. Obesity Reviews, 14: 60–68. doi: 10.1111/obr.12103
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 23 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 SEP 2013 06:50AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2013
- Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Center
- University of North Carolina Nutrition Transition Program
- 3A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2013; 380: 2224–2260., , et al.
- 4ANZOS. (2011). ANZOS: Australian & New Zealand Obesity Society. [WWW document]. URL https://anzos.com/ (accessed 4 July 2013).
- 5NZ Food: NZ People. Ministry of Health: Wellington, 1999., , et al.
- 6Australian Bureau of Statistics. National Nutrition Survey: Nutrient Intakes and Physical Measurements, Australia, 1995. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 1998.
- 7Australian Society for the Study of Obesity. Healthy Weight Australia: A National Obesity Strategy, 1995.
- 8NHMRC Working Party. Acting on Australia's Weight: A Strategic Plan for the Prevention of Overweight and Obesity. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 1997.
- 9Agencies for Nutrition Action. (1992). Agencies for Nutrition Action: Welcome to Agencies for Nutrition Action. [WWW document]. URL http://www.ana.org.nz/ (accessed 4 July 2013).
- 11Global trends in obesity-related media coverage. Nutr Today 2004; 39: 256..
- 12NSW Department of Health. (2002). NSW Childhood Obesity Summit: Communique. [WWW document]. URL http://fulltext.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2002/nsw/communique.pdf (accessed 11 July 2013).
- 13Department of Human Services. A Healthy Balance: Victorians Respond to Obesity. Department of Human Services: Victoria, 2002.
- 14Australian Commonwealth. Healthy Weight 2008: Australia's Future: The National Action Agenda for Children and Young People and their Families. The National Obesity Taskforce Secretariat, Department of Health and Ageing: Canberra, 2003.
- 16House of Representatives Standing Committee on Health and Ageing. Weighing it up: Obesity in Australia. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 2009.
- 17National Preventative Health Taskforce. Australia: The Healthiest Country by 2020. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 2009.
- 18New Zealand Ministry of Health. Healthy Eating – Healthy Action. Oranga Kai – Oranga Pumau: A Strategic Framework. Ministry of Health: Wellington, 2003.
- 19Health Select Committee. Inquiry into Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes in New Zealand. Forty-eighth Parliament: Wellington, 2007.
- 202006). Mission-On: Healthy Lifestyles for Young Kiwis, Press Release. [WWW document]. URL http://www.beehive.govt.nz/?q=node/27181 (accessed 10 July 2013).. (
- 21HEHA Strategy Evaluation Consortium. Health Eating-Healthy Action: Oranga Kai-Oranga Pumau: Strategy Evaluation Interim Report. HEHA Strategy Evaluation Consortium, University of Otago, 2009.
- 24Collaboration CO-OPS. (2009). The CO-OPS Collaboration of Community-Based Obesity Prevention Sites: Welcome. [WWW document]. URL http://www.co-ops.net.au/ (accessed 4 July 2013).
- 25Taskforce on Reducing Regulatory Burdens on Business. Rethinking Regulation: Report of the Taskforce on Reducing Regulatory Burdens on Business: Canberra, 2006.
- 26Department of Health and Ageing. (2012). Population Health Division (PHD): National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health. [WWW document]. URL http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/phd-prevention-np (accessed 11 July 2013).
- 272009). Schools No Longer Required to be Food Police. [WWW document]. URL http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/schools-no-longer-required-be-food-police (accessed 5 July 2013).(
- 29Obesity Policy Coalition. Obesity Policy Coalition: Home. [WWW document]. URL http://www.opc.org.au/ (accessed 4 July 2013).
- 30Obesity Policy Coalition. (2011). Policy Brief: Food Advertising to Children. [WWW document]. URL http://www.opc.org.au/downloads/positionpapers/Food_advertising_to_children_policy_brief_April_2011_2.pdf (accessed 10 July 2013).
- 31Obesity Policy Coalition. (2012). Policy Brief: Front-of-Pack Traffic Light Labelling. [WWW document]. URL http://www.opc.org.au/downloads/traffic_light_labelling___June_2012.pdf (accessed 10 July 2013).
- 32Parents' Jury. (2013). The Parents' Jury: Your Voice on Food and Activity: Home. [WWW document]. URL http://www.parentsjury.org.au/ (accessed 10 July 2013).
- 33Food Alliance. Food Alliance: Supporting Sustainability in Food and Agriculture: Home. [WWW document]. URL http://foodalliance.org/ (accessed 4 July 2013).
- 34A resilient fruit and vegetable supply for a healthy Victoria: working together to secure the future, Food Alliance, 2011., .
- 35VicHealth. VicHealth: Home. [WWW document]. URL http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/ (accessed 11 July 2013).
- 36Preventing childhood obesity: looking forward. In: Waters E , Swinburn B , Seidell J , Uauy R (eds). Preventing Childhood Obesity: Evidence Policy and Practice. Wiley-Blackwell: Oxforc, 2010..
- 38Defining community capacity building: is it possible? Prev Med 2011; 52: 193–199., , .
- 43Be Active Eat Well: Three-Year Follow-Up. Deakin University: Geelong, 2012., , et al.
- 44Systems Thinking for Health Systems Strengthening. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2009., .
- 45Department of Health. (2013). Prevention and Population Health: Healthy Together Victoria (HTV). [WWW document]. URL http://www.health.vic.gov.au/prevention/healthytogether.htm (accessed 5 July 2014).
- 462007). Foresight: Tackling Obesities: Future Choices – Project Report. [WWW document]. URL http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/foresight/docs/obesity/17.pdf (accessed 10 September 2013)., , et al. (
- 47A systems-oriented multilevel framework for addressing obesity in the 21st century. Prev Chronic Dis 2009; 6 (3): A82. Epub 2009 June 15., , , .
- 48SA Health. (2012). SA Health: OPAL. [WWW document]. URL http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/healthy+living/healthy+places/where+we+live+and+play/opal (accessed 5 July 2013).
- 49The Treasury. Budget Overview. Australian Government: ACT, Australia, 2012.
- 50Top 10 drugs. Aust Prescriber 2012; 35: 189.
- 51National Health and Medical Research Council. Australian Dietary Guidelines. National Health and Medical Research Council: Canberra, 2013.
- 52National Obesity Taskforce. Healthy Weight for Adults and Older Australians. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra, 2006.
- 53Labelling Logic: Review of Food Labelling Law and Policy (2011). Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council: Canberra, 2011., , , , .
- 54Strategic Inter-Governmental Nutrition Alliance. Eat Well Australia: A Strategic Framework for Public Health Nutrition. National Public Health Partnership: Canberra, 2001.
- 55Strategic Inter-Governmental Nutrition Alliance. National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nutrition Strategy and Action Plan 2000–2010. National Public Health Partnership: Melbourne, 2000.
- 56World Health Organization. Draft Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2013–2020. World Health Organization: Geneva, 2013.
- 57FSANZ. Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code – Standard 1.2.7 – Nutrition, Health and Related Claims. Department of Health and Ageing, 2013.
- 58Department of Health. (2013). Final Design of Consistent Nutritional Labelling System Given Green Light. [WWW document]. URL https://www.gov.uk/government/news/final-design-of-consistent-nutritional-labelling-system-given-green-light (accessed 11 July 2013).
- 59Corporate Europe Observatory. (2010). A Red Light for Consumer Information: The Food Industry's €1-Billion Campaign to Block Health Warnings on Food [Internet]. [WWW document]. URL http://corporateeurope.org/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/files/article/CEO-Food-Labelling.pdf (accessed 31 October 2012).
- 60Preventative Health Taskforce. (2008). Member profiles. [WWW document]. URL http://www.preventativehealth.org.au/internet/preventativehealth/publishing.nsf/Content/member-profiles-1lp (accessed 15 July 2013).
- 61National Health and Medical Research Council. (2013). Dietary Guidelines Working Committee. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/your-health/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-working-committee (accessed 15 July 2013).
- 62Heart Foundation. (2011). Advertising Food to Children: Position Statement. [WWW document]. URL http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/our-work/positions-submissions-and-policy/position-statements (accessed 10 September 2013).
- 63Health Promotion Agency. Inspiring All New Zealanders to Lead Healthier Lives. [WWW document]. URL http://www.hpa.org.nz/ (accessed 10 September 2013).
- 64Health Promotion Agency. Statement of Intent 2012–2015. Health Promotion Agency: Wellington, 2012.
- 65LiveLighter. (2012). LiveLighter: Home. [WWW document]. URL http://www.livelighter.com.au/default.aspx (accessed 15 July 2013).
- 662012). Nats Accused of Health Agency Cronyism. [WWW document]. URL http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10815974 (accessed 7 July 2013).(
- 67Overview of the Let's Beat Diabetes Evaluation 2009: Final Report. Auckland UniServices Limited, The University of Auckland: Auckland, 2009., , , , , .
- 68Nutrition and Physical Activity Programme. (2013). Healthy as: About us. [WWW document]. URL http://www.healthyas.org.nz/about-us/ (accessed 10 July 2013).
- 70Cost-effectiveness of physical activity counselling in general practice. N Z Med J 2004; 117., , , , , .
- 72Waikato District Health Board. Project Energize. [WWW document]. URL http://www.waikatodhb.govt.nz/events/pageid/2145872029 (accessed 9 July 2013).
- 75Individuals, the Environment or Inequalities: Industry and Public Health Framing of Obesity and its Presence in New Zealand Government Policy on Food and Nutrition. Doctor of Philosophy, University of Otago: Dunedin, 2010..
- 77NZ Government. Government Response to the Inquiry into Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes 2007. NZ Government: Wellington, 2007.
- 78Public health blow for New Zealand. Lancet 1994; 344: 1761..