Invited Medical Review
Oral chronic graft-versus-host disease: current pathogenesis, therapy, and research
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2012
Published 2012. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 327–346, May 2013
How to Cite
Oral Diseases (2012) doi:10.1111/odi.12028
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 OCT 2012 01:24AM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 11 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2012
- National Institutes of Health
- National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research
- National Cancer Institute
- Center for Cancer Research
- Pfizer Inc.
- immunology and microbiology;
- graft-versus-host disease;
Optimal management of complex autoimmune diseases requires a multidisciplinary medical team including dentists to care for lesions of the oral cavity. In this review, we discuss the presentation, prevalence, diagnosis, and treatment of oral manifestations in chronic graft-versus-host disease (cGVHD), which is a major late complication in patients treated by allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. We assess current general knowledge of systemic and oral cGVHD and present general treatment recommendations based on literature review and our clinical experience. Additionally, we review areas where the understanding of oral cGVHD could be improved by further research and address tools with which to accomplish the long-term goal of providing better health and quality of life to patients with cGVHD.