COMITOLOGY CHOICES IN THE EU LEGISLATIVE PROCESS: CONTESTED OR CONSENSUAL DECISIONS?
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Volume 92, Issue 1, pages 55–70, March 2014
How to Cite
BLOM-HANSEN, J. (2014), COMITOLOGY CHOICES IN THE EU LEGISLATIVE PROCESS: CONTESTED OR CONSENSUAL DECISIONS?. Public Administration, 92: 55–70. doi: 10.1111/padm.12036
- Issue published online: 24 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
- 2000. ‘Same Menu, Separate Tables: The Institutionalist Turn in Political Science and the Study of European Integration’, European Journal of Political Research, 38, 1, 1–36. and .
- 2005. Comitology – Delegation of Powers in the European Union and the Committee System. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2010. ‘Dataset on Comitology Provisions in EU Regulations and Directives – Technical Description, Variables, and Frequency Distributions’. Unpublished report (downloadable from the author's home page: http://pure.au.dk/portal/en/persons/id(eb2cb20a-732b-4c55-8832-ceb762f84651).html).
- 2011. The EU Comitology System in Theory and Practice: Keeping an Eye on the Commission? Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- 2008. ‘Halfway House: The 2006 Comitology Reforms and the European Parliament’, West European Politics, 31, 4, 837–54.
- 2010. Backstage Europe: Comitology, Accountability and Democracy in the European Union. Utrecht: Utrecht University.
- 2012. ‘Negotiating the Post-Lisbon Comitology System: Institutional Battles over Delegated Decision-Making’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 50, 6, 939–57. and .
- 2010. ‘Institutional Reproduction and Change’, in G. Morgan, J.L. Campbell, C. Crouch, O.K. Pedersen and R. Whiteley (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Institutional Analysis. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 87–115.
- 2006. ‘The 2006 Reform of Comitology: Problem Solved or Dispute Postponed?’, Eipascope, 2006/3, 9–17. and .
- Christiansen, T., J.M. Oettel and B. Vaccari (eds). 2009. 21st Century Comitology: Implementing Committees in the Enlarged European Union. Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration.
- Council of Ministers. 1987. ‘Council Decision of 13 July 1987 Laying Down the Procedures for the Exercise of Implementing Powers Conferred on the Commission’, OJ L 197, 18 July 1987, 33–35.
- Council of Ministers. 1999. ‘Council Decision of 28 June 1999 Laying Down the Procedures for the Exercise of Implementing Powers Conferred on the Commission’, OJ L 184, 17 July 1999, 23–26.
- Council of Ministers. 2006. ‘Council Decision of 17 June 2006 Amending Decision 1999/468/EC Laying Down the Procedures for the Exercise of Implementing Powers Conferred on the Commission’, OJ L 200, 22 July 2006, 11–13.
- 1996. ‘Legislative Procedures in the European Community’, British Journal of Political Science, 26, 2, 199–228.
- 1998. ‘The Advisory Committee on Safety, Hygiene and Health Protection at Work’, in M.P.C.M. van Schendelen (ed.), EU Committees as Influential Policymakers. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 129–47. and .
- 1994. ‘The Commission and the Execution of Community Policy’, in G. Edwards and D. Spence (eds), The European Commission. Harlow: Longman, pp. 117–45. and .
- 1997. ‘Comitology: Little Procedures with Big Implications’, West European Politics, 20, 3, 31–60.
- 2000. ‘A Cross-Sectoral View of Comitology: Incidence, Issues and Implications’, in T. Christiansen and E. Kirchner (eds), Committee Governance in the European Union. Manchester: Manchester University Press, pp. 45–61.
- 1999. Delegating Powers: A Transaction Cost Politics Approach to Policy Making under Separate Powers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. and .
- European Parliament and Council. 2011. ‘Regulation (EU) No 182/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 February 2011 laying down the rules and general principles concerning mechanisms for control by Member States of the Commission's exercise of implementing powers’, OJ L 55, 28 February 2011, 13–19.
- 2007. The Powers of the Union: Delegation in the EU. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2009. ‘Comitology in the Field of GMO Authorisation: Implications for Legitimacy’, in T. Christiansen, J.M. Oettel and B. Vaccari (eds), 21st Century Comitology: Implementing Committees in the Enlarged European Union. Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, pp. 175–203. .
- 1999. ‘Council Decision 1999/468 – A New Comitology Decision for the 21st Century!?’, Eipascope, 99/3, 10–17.
- 2000. ‘The History of Comitology’, in M. Andenas and A. Türk (eds), Delegated Legislation and the Role of Committees in the EC. The Hague: Kluwer Law International, pp. 67–101.
- 2011. ‘Contested Delegation: The Impact of Co-Decision on Comitology’, West European Politics, 34, 1, 145–66. and .
- 2005. The Political System of the European Union. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- 2009. ‘Legislation, Delegation and Implementation under the Treaty of Lisbon: Typology Meets Reality’, European Law Journal, 15, 4, 482–505.
- 1997. ‘From Intergovernmental Bargaining to Deliberative Political Processes: The Constitutionalisation of Comitology’, European Law Journal, 3, 3, 273–99. and .
- 1987. ‘Administrative Procedures as Instruments of Political Control’, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 3, 2, 243–77. , and .
- 1990. ‘The Politics of Structural Choice: Towards a Theory of Public Bureaucracy’, in O.E. Williamson (ed.), Organization Theory: From Chester Barnard to the Present and Beyond. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 116–53.
- 1997. ‘A Theory of the Conditional Influence of the European Parliament in the Cooperation Procedure’, Public Choice, 91, 3, 333–50.
- 2006. Explaining Decisions in the European Union. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2001. ‘The Choice for EU Theorists: Establishing a Common Framework for Analysis’, European Journal of Political Research, 39, 3, 289–318.
- 2003. The Engines of European Integration: Delegation, Agency, and Agenda Setting in the EU. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2006. ‘Rational Choice and EU Politics’, in K.E. Jørgensen, M.A. Pollack and B. J. Rosamond (eds), Handbook of European Union Politics. London: Sage, pp. 31–55.
- 2007. ‘The Comitology Reform of 2006: Increasing the Powers of the European Parliament without Changing the Treaties’, European Constitutional Law Review, 3, 1, 68–90. and .
- 1994. ‘Decision Making Under Different Institutional Arrangements: Legislation by the European Community’, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 150, 4, 642–69.
- 1996. ‘Policymaking, Comitology, and the Balance of Power in the European Union’, International Review of Law and Economics, 16, 3, 329–44. , and .
- Strøm, K., W.C. Müller and T. Bergman (eds). 2006. Delegation and Accountability in Parliamentary Democracies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1996. ‘More on the European Parliament as a Conditional Agenda Setter: Response to Moser’, American Political Science Review, 90, 4, 839–44.
- 2002. Veto Players: How Political Institutions Work. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2009. ‘The Development of Case Law in the Area of Comitology’, in T. Christiansen, J.M. Oettel and B. Vaccari (eds), 21st Century Comitology: Implementing Committees in the Enlarged European Union. Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, pp. 71–101.