Development of Federally Mandated Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) for Transmucosal Immediate-Release Fentanyl Products
Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors Pain Practice © 2013 World Institute of Pain
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 259–263, April 2013
How to Cite
Pergolizzi, J. V., Gharibo, C. G., Gudin, J. A. and Nalamachu, S. R. (2013), Development of Federally Mandated Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) for Transmucosal Immediate-Release Fentanyl Products. Pain Practice, 13: 259–263. doi: 10.1111/papr.12040
- Issue online: 5 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2013
- 4US Congress. Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act of 2007. Available at: http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php (accessed September 26, 2012).
- 6Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Title 21 USCS §505-1. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/FederalFoodDrugandCosmeticActFDCAct/FDCActChapterVDrugsandDevices/ucm109090.htm (accessed March 17, 2011).
- 8TIRF REMS Access. Available at: http://www.tirfremsaccess.com/ (accessed October 4, 2012).
- 9U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). Guidance for Industry Format and Content of Proposed Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS), REMS Assessments, and Proposed REMS Modifications. 2009.
- 11FDA approves opioid analgesic to help cancer patients manage pain. FDA Press Release. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm239490.htm?sms_ss=email&at_xt=4d8bc29da1817d83%2C0 (accessed March 29, 2011).
- 12Abstral® (fentanyl sublingual tablet). Full Prescribing Information, ProStrakan Inc., Bridgewater, NJ, 2012.
- 13NDA 22-510 ABSTRAL® (Fentanyl). Sublingual Tablets Proposed Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS). Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/Drugsatfda_docs/nda/2011/022510Orig1s000Rems.pdf. (accessed October 4, 2012).
- 14US Food and Drug Administration. Risk evaluation and mitigation strategies for certain opioid drugs. Fed. Reg. 2009;74:17967.
- 16US Food and Drug Administration. FDA approves shared system REMS for TIRF products. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm285345.htm. (accessed January 18, 2012).
- 17TIRF REMS Access Program goes live. Available at:http://pmsionline.com/pdf/Fentanyl%20citrate%20REMS%20update%20March%202012%20Final.pdf. (accessed October 5, 2012).
- 18Transmucosal Immediate Release Fentanyl (TIRF) Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS). Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm111350.htm#Shared. (accessed October 4, 2012).
- 23The Role of Personal Responsibility in the Occurrence of Prescription Opioid Abuse: An Analysis of the Source of Abused Opioid Prescription Drugs Derived from Public Commentary Submitted to the FDA's Opioid REMS Docket. Presented at: PAINWeek; September 8-11, 2010; Las Vegas, NV..
- 24Drug Enforcement Administration. National Drug Intelligence Center. National Drug Threat Assessment, 2009.
- 25Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. Results From the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings. NSDUH Series H-36, DHHS Publication No. SMA 09-4434. Rockville, MD; 2009.
- 26Office of National Drug Control Policy. National Drug Control Strategy. Washington, DC: The White House; 2010.
- 27National “Take Back Day” urges surrender of unneeded prescription drugs. Washington Post. September 23, 2010..
- 28National Take-Back Initiative. Available at: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/. (accessed October 5, 2012).