Characterization of VRC01, a potent and broadly neutralizing anti-HIV mAb, produced in transiently and stably transformed tobacco
Version of Record online: 21 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Plant Biotechnology Journal published by Society for Experimental Biology, The Association of Applied Biologists and John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Plant Biotechnology Journal
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 300–311, April 2014
How to Cite
Teh, A. Y.-H., Maresch, D., Klein, K. and Ma, J. K.-C. (2014), Characterization of VRC01, a potent and broadly neutralizing anti-HIV mAb, produced in transiently and stably transformed tobacco. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 12: 300–311. doi: 10.1111/pbi.12137
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 21 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2013
- European Research Council
- Future-Pharma Advanced Grant Award
- Hotung Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Wellcome Trust
- NIH AIDS Research and Reference Reagents Program
- 2012) HIV-1 Antiretroviral Drug Therapy. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Med. 2, a007161. and (
- 2006) Metabolic and cardiovascular complications of highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection. Curr. HIV Res. 4, 79–85. (
- 2005) Highly active antiretroviral therapy: current state of the art, new agents and their pharmacological interactions useful for improving therapeutic outcome. Curr. Pharm. Des. 11, 1805–1843. , , and (
- 2006) Ten Years of HAART: Foundation for the Future. http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/523119. (accessed 03 April 2013). (
- 2000) Increasing expression of P450 and P450-reductase proteins from monocots in heterologous systems. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 379, 161–169. , , , , , and (
- 2010) Strategies and challenges for the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 10, 345–352. , , and (
- 2007) Glycosylation site prediction using ensembles of Support Vector Machine classifiers. BMC Bioinformatics, 8, 438. , , , and (
- 2012) Glyco-engineering in plants to produce human-like N-glycan structures. Biotechnol. J. 7, 1088–1098. and (
- 2013) Generation of biologically active multi-sialylated recombinant human EPOFc in plants. PLoS ONE, 8, e54836. , , , , , , and (
- 2013) Antibody-based candidate therapeutics against HIV-1: implications for virus eradication and vaccine design. Expert Opin. Biol. Ther. 13, 1–15. , and (
- 2010) Optimization of contained Nicotiana tabacum cultivation for the production of recombinant protein pharmaceuticals. Transgenic Res. 19, 241–256. , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2010) Production of heterologous proteins in plants: strategies for optimal expression. Biotechnol. Adv. 28, 427–435. , and (
- 2010) Breadth of human immunodeficiency virus-specific neutralizing activity in sera: clustering analysis and association with clinical variables. J. Virol. 84, 1631–1636. , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2013) Protalix Wins FDA Approval for Its First Drug on the Market. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-01/protalix-wins-fda-approval-for-its-first-drug-on-the-market.html. (accessed 04 March 2013). (
- EMEA. (2008) Guideline on the Quality of Biological Active Substance Produced by Stable Transgene Expression in Higher Plants EMA. London, UK: EMEA Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products (CPMP).
- 2012) GMP issues for recombinant plant-derived pharmaceutical proteins. Biotechnol. Adv. 30, 434–439. , , , and (
- 2009) Influence of elastin-like peptide fusions on the quantity and quality of a tobacco-derived human immunodeficiency virus-neutralizing antibody. Plant Biotechnol. J. 7, 899–913. , , , , , , , , and (
- 2010) Fc-Glycosylation influences Fcγ receptor binding and cell-mediated anti-HIV activity of monoclonal antibody 2G12. J. Immunol. 185, 6876–6882. , , , , , and (
- 2007) Viral vectors for the expression of proteins in plants. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 18, 134–141. , and (
- 2013) Efficient single tobamoviral vector-based bioproduction of broadly neutralizing anti-HIV-1 monoclonal antibody VRC01 in Nicotiana plants and its utility in combination microbicides. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 57, 2076–2086. , , , , and (
- 2011) Antibody degradation in tobacco plants: a predominantly apoplastic process. BMC Biotechnol. 11, 128. , , , and (
- 1989) Production of antibodies in plants. Nature, 342, 76–78. , and (
- 2002) Monoclonal antibody manufacturing in transgenic plants — myths and realities. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 13, 630–635. , and (
- 1985) A simple and general method for transferring genes into plants. Science, 227, 1229–1231. , , , , and (
- 1997) An Agrobacterium-mediated transient gene expression system for intact leaves. Plant Sci. 122, 101–108. , , and (
- 2009) Industrialization of mAb production technology the bioprocessing industry at a crossroads. mAbs, 1, 443–452. (
- 2012) HIV therapy by a combination of broadly neutralizing antibodies in humanized mice. Nature, 492, 118–122. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2005) Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 env clones from acute and early subtype B infections for standardized assessments of vaccine-elicited neutralizing antibodies. J. Virol. 79, 10108–10125. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2007) Broad HIV-1 neutralization mediated by CD4-binding site antibodies. Nat. Med. 13, 1032–1034. , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2009) Analysis of neutralization specificities in polyclonal sera derived from HUMAN immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected individuals. J. Virol. 83, 1045–1059. , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2013) Prevention measures. Nat. Med. 19, 247. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (eds). (
- 2005) In planta engineering of viral RNA replicons: efficient assembly by recombination of DNA modules delivered by Agrobacterium. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 101, 6852–6857. , , , , and (
- 2011) Life expectancy of HIV-positive adults: a review. Sex. Health, 8, 526–533. and (
- 2004) Evaluating neutralizing antibodies against HIV, SIV and SHIV in luciferase reporter gene assays. In: Current Protocols in Immunology, ( , , , , and , eds), pp. 12.11.1–12.11.15. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons. (
- 1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco culture. Physiol. Plant. 15, 473–497. and (
- 2002) ER–resident chaperone interactions with recombinant antibodies in transgenic plants. Eur. J. Biochem. 269, 6042–6051. , , , , and (
- 2012) The antibody response against HIV-1. Cold Spring Harb. Perspec. Med. 2, a007039. and (
- 2012) Glycan profiles of the 27 N-glycosylation sites of the HIV envelope protein CN54gp140. J. Biol. Chem. 393, 719–730. , , and (
- 2006) A Randomized, Blinded, Multicenter Trial of Lipid-Associated Amphotericin B Alone versus in Combination with an Antibody-Based Inhibitor of Heat Shock Protein 90 in Patients with Invasive Candidiasis. Clin. Infect. Dis. 42, 1404–1413. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2011) VRC01 provides sterilizing protection to non human primates from mucosal SHIV challenges. J. Immunol. 186, 155.111. , , , , , , and (
- 2011) Combinatorial approaches to the prevention and treatment of HIV-1 infection. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 55, 1831–1842. , , , and (
- 2013) Rapid high-level production of functional HIV broadly neutralizing monoclonal Antibodies in transient plant expression systems. PLoS ONE, 8, e58724. , , , , , , , , and (
- 1997) Enhanced expression in tobacco of the gene encoding green fluorescent protein by modification of its codon usage. Plant Mol. Biol. 33, 989–999. , , and (
- 2007) An update in the development of HIV entry inhibitors. Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 7, 1273–1289. , , and (
- 2007) Functional analysis of the broadly neutralizing human anti-HIV-1 antibody 2F5 produced in transgenic BY-2 suspension cultures. FASEB J. 21, 1655–1664. , , , , , , , , and (
- 2008) Extremely high-level and rapid transient protein production in plants without the use of viral replication. Plant Physiol. 148, 1212–1218. and (
- 2009) pEAQ: versatile expression vectors for easy and quick transient expression of heterologous proteins in plants. Plant Biotechnol. J. 7, 682–693. , and (
- 2010) Rapid transient production in plants by replicating and non-replicating vectors yields high quality functional anti-HIV antibody. PLoS ONE, 5, e13976. , , , , and (
- 2012) Antibody therapy of cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer, 12, 278–287. , and (
- 2012) Microbicides: topical prevention against HIV. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Med. 2, a007385. and (
- 2009) Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 elite neutralizers: individuals with broad and potent neutralizing activity identified by using a high-throughput neutralization assay together with an analytical selection algorithm. J. Virol. 83, 7337–7348. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2008) Generation of glyco-engineered Nicotiana benthamiana for the production of monoclonal antibodies with a homogeneous human-like N-glycan structure. Plant Biotechnol. J. 6, 392–402. , , , , , , , , and (
- 2009) Improved virus neutralization by plant-produced anti-HIV antibodies with a homogeneous β1, 4-galactosylated N-glycan profile. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 20479–20485. , , , , , , , , and (
- UN. (2011) Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS: Intensifying our Efforts to Eliminate HIV/AIDS. http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/LTD/N11/367/84/PDF/N1136784.pdf?OpenElement. (accessed 04 March 2012).
- UNAIDS. (2012) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2012.
- 2012) Topical gel formulation of broadly neutralizing anti-HIV-1 monoclonal antibody VRC01 confers protection against HIV-1 vaginal challenge in a humanized mouse model. Virology, 432, 505–510. , , and (
- 2013) HIV trial under scrutiny. Nature, 493, 279–280. (
- 2003) Antibody neutralization and escape by HIV-1. Nature, 422, 307–312. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- WHO. (2006) Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. (Gilks, C. and Vitoria, A., eds), 128 pp. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/artadultguidelines.pdf. (accessed 03 April 2013).
- WHO. (2008) The Top 10 Causes of Death—WHO Fact Sheet No. 310. http://who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/. (accessed 03 April 2013).
- WHO. (2012a) Antiretroviral Treatment as Prevention (TASP) of HIV and TB: Programmatic Update. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2012/WHO_HIV_2012.12_eng.pdf. (accessed 04 March 2013).
- WHO (2012b) Guidance on Oral pre-Exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for Serodiscordant Couples, Men and Transgender Women who have Sex with Men at High Risk of HIV.
- WHO and ILO. (2007) Post-exposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Infection: Joint WHO/ILO Guidelines on Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) to Prevent HIV Infection.
- WHO, UNAIDS and UNICEF. (2007) Towards Universal Access: Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector (progress report). http://www.who.int/hiv/mediacentre/universal_access_progress_report_en.pdf. (accessed 04 March 2013).
- 2010) Rational design of envelope identifies broadly neutralizing human monoclonal antibodies to HIV-1. Science, 329, 856–861. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2010) Structural basis for broad and potent neutralization of HIV-1 by antibody VRC01. Science, 329, 811–817. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (