The mention of commercial products, their sources or their use in connection with material reported herein is not to be construed as either an actual or an implied endorsement of such products by the Department of Health and Human Services.
UV Radiation Increases Carcinogenic Risks for Oral Tissues Compared to Skin†
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Photochemistry and Photobiology
Volume 89, Issue 5, pages 1193–1198, September/October 2013
How to Cite
Agrawal, A., Shindell, E., Jordan, F., Baeva, L., Pfefer, J. and Godar, D. E. (2013), UV Radiation Increases Carcinogenic Risks for Oral Tissues Compared to Skin. Photochemistry and Photobiology, 89: 1193–1198. doi: 10.1111/php.12140
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 15 JUL 2013 08:28AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2013
- 1The oral cancer foundation (2012) Oral cancer facts. Available at: http://oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/index.htm. Assessed on 12 September 2012.
- 2Skin cancer foundation (2012) Skin cancer facts. Melanoma. Available at: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/melanoma. Assessed on 12 September 2012.
- 112010) The use of ultraviolet LED illumination for composite resin removal: An in vitro study. Gen. Dent. 58, e214–e218., , , and (
- 132009) Anatomy-based algorithms for detecting oral cancer using reflectance and fluorescence spectroscopy. Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 118, 817–826., , , , , , , , , , and (
- 21WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer Monograph Working Group (2009) A review of human carcinogens–part D: Radiation. Lancet Oncol., 10, 751–752., , , , , , , , , , and
- 22American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (2010) Threshold Limit Values for Chemical Substances and Physical Agents & Biological Exposure Indices. Ultraviolet Radiation, pp. 1–6, ACGIH Worldwide, Cincinnati.
- 272006) Photoprotective effect of isoflavone genistein on ultraviolet B-induced pyrimidine dimer formation and PCNA expression in human reconstituted skin and its implications in dermatology and prevention of cutaneous carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 27, 1627–1635., , , , , , and (
- 31Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. 21 CFR Part 1040 (Docket No. 82N-0188). Sunlamp Products; Performance Standard - Final Rule. Federal Register, Vol. 50, No. 173, Friday, 6 September 1985.
- 342012) UVB-induced cytokine release from human oral and skin tissue equivalents. Photochem. Photobiol. DOI: 10.1111/php.12030. Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print], , , , and (