The copyright line for this article was changed on 14 May 2015 after original online publication.
Psychopathology and the Ability to Do Otherwise
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, LLC.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
Volume 90, Issue 1, pages 135–163, January 2015
How to Cite
Pickard, H. (2015), Psychopathology and the Ability to Do Otherwise. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 90: 135–163. doi: 10.1111/phpr.12025
- Issue online: 5 JAN 2015
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
- 2010. Validation crisis in animal models of drug addiction: beyond non-disordered drug use toward addiction. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 35: 172–184.
- 2012. The science of making drug-addicted animals. Neuroscience 211: 107–125.
- 2000. A research-based theory of addictive motivation. Law and Philosophy 19: 77–115.
- 1978. The effect of housing and gender on morphine self-administration in rats. Psychopharmacology 58 (2): 175–179. , and
- 1985. Adult, infant, and animal addiction. In The Meaning of Addiction, ed. S. Peele: 77–96. Lexington, Massachusetts: Lexington Books. , , , , and
- 2009. Actions, thought-experiments and the ‘‘Principle of Alternate Possibilities’’. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 87 (1): 61–81.
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM–IV-TR). APA.
- 2006. Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health. New York: Springer. and , eds.
- 1991. Syndromes of drug abuse and dependence. In Psychiatric Disorders in America: The epidemiologic catchment area study, ed. L. N. Robins and D. A. Regier, 116–154. New York: Free Press. and
- Aristotle. 1984. Eudemian Ethics tr. J. Solomon, in The Complete Works of Aristotle, Vol 2, ed. J. Barnes. Oxford: OUP.
- 2006. Merit, Meaning, and Human Bondage: an Essay on Free Will. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1997. Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company.
- 1995. The need to belong: desire for interpersonal attachment as a fundamental human motivation. Psychological Bulletin 117 (3): 497–529. and
- 1990. An analysis of the abstinence violation effect in a sample of illicit drug users. British Journal of Addiction 85 (10): 1299–1307 , and
- 2008. Systems training for emotional predictability and problem solving (STEPPS) for outpatients with borderline personality disorder: a randomized controlled trial and 1-year follow-up. American Journal of Psychiatry 165: 468–478. , , , , , , and
- 2007. Marijuana use motives: concurrent relations to frequency of past 30-day use and anxiety sensitivity among young adult marijuana smokers. Addictive Behavior 32: 49–62. , and
- 2009. Nonmedical use of prescription analgesics: a three-year national longitudinal study. Journal of Addictive Diseases 28: 232–242. , , , and
- 1999. Substance use among young people: the relationship between perceived functions and intentions. Addiction 94: 1043–1050. , , , , and
- 2001. Understanding reasons for drug use amongst young people: a functional perspective. Health Education Research 16: 457–69. , and
- 2012. Action, responsibility, and the ability to do otherwise. Philosophical Studies 158 (1): 1–15.
- 2002. Cynthia's dilemma: consenting to heroin prescription. American Journal of Bioethics 2 (2): 37–47.
- 2007. Prevalence, correlates, disability, comorbidity of DSM-IV drug abuse and dependence in the United States: results from the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditions. Archives of General Psychiatry 64 (5): 566–576. , , and
- 1988. Coping, expectancies, and alcohol abuse: a test of social learning formulations. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 97: 218–230. , and
- 1985. Circumstances surrounding relapse in a group of recent exsmokers. Preventantive Medicine 14 (2): 195–202. , and
- 1980 . Actions, reasons, causes. In his Essays on Actions and Events, 21–42. Oxford: OUP.
- 1992. The Myth of Addiction. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic Publishers.
- 1976. Alcohol dependence: provisional description of a clinical syndrome. British Medical Journal 1 (6017): 1058–1061. and
- 2002. Who holds the leash? American Journal of Bioethics 2 (2): 48.
- 2005. Neural systems of reinforcement for drug addiction: from actions to habits to compulsion. Nature Neuroscience 8 (11): 1481–1489. and
- 2008. Masked abilities and compatibilism. Mind 111 (468): 843–865.
- 2011. What is it like to be an addict? In Addiction and Responisibility, ed. J. Poland and G. Graham: 269–292. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.
- Phenomenal authority: the epistemic authority of Alcoholics Anonymous. In Addiction and Self-Control, ed. N. Levy. New York: OUP. forthcoming.
- 2006. Addiction and autonomy: can addicted people consent to the prescription of their drug of addiction? Bioethics 20 (1): 1–15. and
- 2010. A liberal account of addiction. Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychology 17 (1): 1–22. and
- 2003a ). Alternative possibilities and moral responsibility. In G. Watson, ed. Free Will: 167–176. Oxford: OUP. (
- 2003b ) Freedom of the will and the concept of a person. In G. Watson, ed. Free Will: 322–336. Oxford: OUP. (
- 2000. Explaining expressions of emotion. Mind 109: 25–38.
- 2006. The assessment and treatment of specific phobias: a review. Current Psychiatry Reports 8 (4): 298–303. and
- 2009. Addiction: a Disorder of Choice. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1995. Outpatient behavioural treatment for cocaine dependence: one-year outcome. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 3: 205–212. , , , , and
- 1994. Incentives improve outcome in outpatient behavioural treatment of cocaine dependence. Archives of General Psychiatry 51: 568–576. , , , , and
- 1991. A behavioural approach to achieving initial cocaine abstinence. American Journal of Psychiatry 148: 1218–1224. , , and
- 2009. Willing, Wanting, Waiting. Oxford: OUP.
- 1999. Treatise: Of Liberty and Necessity. In V. Chappell, ed. Hobbes and Bramhall on Liberty and Necessity. Cambridge: CUP.
- 1986. Prevalence of smoking among psychiatric outpatients. American Journal of Psychiatry 143: 993–997. , , and
- 1975. Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, ed. L.A. Selby-Bigge. Oxford: OUP.
- 2005. Addiction: a disease of learning and memory. American Journal of Psychiatry 162: 1414–1422.
- 2001. Self-exposure therapy for panic disorder with agoraphobia: randomised controlled study of exteroceptive v. interoceptive self-exposure. British Jouranl of Psychiatry 178: 331–336. , , , , and
- 2001. Substance use disorders in patients with posttraumatic stress disorder: a review of the literature. American Journal of Psychiatry 158: 1184–1190. , and
- 1960. Religion within the Bounds of Reason Alone tr. T. Greene and H. Hudson. New York: Harper and Row.
- 2001. Agency and Responsibility. Oxford: OUP.
- 2005a. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication. Archives of General Psychiatry 62: 593–602. , , , , and
- 2005b. Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication. Archives of General Psychiatry 62: 617–627. ,
- 1985. The self-medication hypothesis of addictive disorders: focus on heroin and cocaine dependence. American Journal of Psychiatry 142: 1259–1264.
- 1997. The self-medication hypothesis of substance use disorders: a reconsideration and recent applications. Harvard Review of Psychiatry 4(5): 231–244.
- 2006. Who drinks and why? A review of socio-demographic, personality, and contextual issues behind the drinking motives in young people. Addictive Behavior 31: 1844–1857. , , and
- 2012. From the consulting room to the court room: taking the clinical model of responsibility without blame into the legal realm. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies. First published online Nov 19, 2012 doi: 10.1093/ojls/gqs028 and
- 1999. Therapeutic Community Effectiveness: A Systematic International Review of Therapeutic Community Treatment for People with Personality Disorders and Mentally Disordered Offenders. York U.K.: York Publishing Services Ltd. , and
- 1968. Cans without Ifs. Analysis 29: 29–3.
- 1997. Addiction is a brain disease, and it matters. Science 278 (5335): 45–47.
- 2011a. Addiction and compulsion. In A Companion to the Philosophy of Action, ed. T. O'Connor and C. Sandis: 267–273. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 2011b. Addiction, responsibility, and ego depletion. In Addiction and Responsibility, ed. J. Poland and G. Graham: 89–111. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.
- 2001. Dialectical behavioural therapy in a nutshell. The California Psychologist 34: 10–13. and
- 1977. Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong. London: Pelican Books.
- 1998. Neurobiological similarities in depression and drug dependence: a self-medication hypothesis. Neuropsychopharmacology 18: 135–74. , and
- 1990. Irresistible desires. Noûs 24 (3): 455–472.
- 1996. What is relapse? Fifty ways to leave the wagon. Addiction vol. 91 (suppl): S15–27.
- 2009. Managing Self-Harm. London: Routledge. ed.
- 2011. Drugs as instruments: a new framework for non-addictive psychoactive drug use. Behavioural and Brain Sciences 34 (6): 293–310. and
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. 2009. Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide. National Institute on Drug Abuse: Bethesda, MA.
- Free Will”, The Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (Summer 2011 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2011/entries/freewill/ , “
- 2010. Finding the will to recover: philosophical perspectives on agency and the sick role. Journal of Medical Ethics 36(12): 831–833. and
- 2012. How therapeutic communities work: specific factors related to positive outcome. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. published on-line July 20, 2012: <http://isp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/07/18/0020764012450992 > DOI: 10.1177/0020764012450992. and
- 1985. The Meaning of Addiction. Lexington: Lexington Books.
- 1999. Stress-motivated drinking in collegiate and postcollegiate young adulthood: life course and gender patterns. Journal of Studies on Alcohol 60: 219–227.
- 2002. Working with Substance Misusers: A Guide to Theory and Practice. London: Routledge. and
- 2011. Contingency management treatment of drug and alcohol use disorders. In Addiction and Responsibility, ed. J. Poland and G. Graham: 225–245. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press. , and
- 2009. Mental illness is indeed a myth. In Psychiatry as Cognitive Neuroscience, eds. L. Bortolotti and M. Broome: 83–101. Oxford: OUP.
- 2011a. Responsibility without blame: empathy and the effective treatment of personality disorder. Philosophy, Psychiatry, Psychology 18 (3): 209–223.
- 2011b. Review of G. Graham and J. Poland, eds. Addiction and Responsibility. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Published online 2011.11.01 http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/27184-addiction-and-responsibility/
- 2012. The purpose in chronic addiction. American Journal of Bioethics Neuroscience 3 (2): 30–39.
- Responsibility without blame: philosophical reflections on clinical practice. In The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Psychiatry, eds. K.W.M. Fulford, M. Davies, R.T. Gipps, G. Graham, J. Sadler, G. Strangellini and T. Thornton. Oxford: OUP. forthcoming.
- Addiction in context: philosophical lessons from a personality disorder clinic. In Addiction and self-control, ed. N. Levy. New York: OUP. and forthcoming.
- 1990. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. Results from the epidemiological catchment area (ECA) study. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association 264: 2511–2518. , , , , , and
- 1994. The Works of Thomas Reid Vol. 2, ed. W. Hamilton. Bristol: Thoemmes Press.
- 1993. Vietnam veterans' rapid recovery from heroin addiction: A fluke or normal expectation? Addiction 88: 1041–1954.
- What is addiction? In The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Psychiatry, eds. K.W.M. Fulford, M. Davies, R.T. Gipps, G. Graham, J. Sadler, G. Strangellini and T. Thornton. Oxford: OUP. and forthcoming.
- 2003. Rational capacities, or: How to distinguish recklessness, weakness, and compulsion. In Weakness of Will and Varieties of Practical Irrationality, eds. S. Stroud and C. Tappolet: 17–38. Oxford: OUP.
- 2008. Reversal of cocaine addiction by environmental enrichment. PNAS 105 (44): 17145–17150. , , , , and
- 2004 ). Trance and Treatment: Clinical Use of Hypnosis. New York: American Psychiatric Press Inc. and (
- 2009. Fairness, agency, and the flicker of freedom. Noûs 43: 64–93.
- 2012. A Metaphysics for Freedom. Oxford: OUP.
- 2005. Comorbidity between DSM-IV alcohol and specific drug use disorders in the United States: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 80: 105–116. , , , , , and
- 1995. Prevalence and correlates of drug use and dependence in the United States. Results from the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry 52: 219–229. , , , , and
- 2006. Theory of Addiction. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 2005. How free does the will need to be? In his Making Sense of Humanity and Other Philosophical Papers. Cambridge: CUP.
- 1978. Behavioral pharmacology of drug self-administration. In Psychopharmcology: A Generation of Progress, ed. M. A. Lipton, A. DiMascio and K .F. Killam. New York: Raven.
- World Health Organization. 2004. Neuroscience of Psychoactive Substance Use and Dependence. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- 2011. Lowering the bar for addicts. In Addiction and Responsibility, ed. J. Poland and G. Graham: 113–138. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.