Clinic Capacity Management: Planning Treatment Programs that Incorporate Adherence
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
© 2013 Production and Operations Management Society
Production and Operations Management
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 1–18, January 2014
How to Cite
McCoy, J. H. and Eric Johnson, M. (2014), Clinic Capacity Management: Planning Treatment Programs that Incorporate Adherence. Production and Operations Management, 23: 1–18. doi: 10.1111/poms.12036
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: SEP 2011
- 2001. Non-adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy predicts progression to AIDS. AIDS 15(9): 1181–1183. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Optimal control of drug epidemics: Prevent and treat—but not at the same time? Manage. Sci. 46(3): 333–347. , , , .
- 2004. Convex Optimization. Cambridge University Press, New York. , .
- 2009. Longitudinal antiretroviral adherence in HIV+ Ugandan parents and their children initiating HAART in the MTCT-Plus family treatment model: Role of depression in declining adherence over time. AIDS Behav. 13(S1): 82–91. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Improving spatial accessibility to antiretroviral treatments for HIV/AIDS. Unpublished Master's Thesis, MIT-Zaragoza Logistics Center, Cambridge, MA. , .
- 2005. Effectiveness of highly active antiretroviral therapy in reducing heterosexual transmission of HIV. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 40(1): 96–101. , , , , , .
- Central Statistical Office of Zambia. 2011. 2010 Census of population and housing: Preliminary report. Available at http://www.zamstats.gov.zm/ (accessed date March 17, 2011).
- the HPTN 052 Study Team. 2011. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N. Engl. J. Med. 365(6): 493–505. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Impact of adherence and highly active antiretroviral therapy on survival in HIV-infected patients. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 30(1): 105–110. , , , , , .
- 2009. Priority shifting and the dynamics of managing eradicable infectious diseases. Manage. Sci. 55(4): 650–663. , .
- 1996. Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , .
- 2002. A prospective study of predictors of adherence to combination antiretroviral medication. J. Gen. Int. Med. 17(10): 756–765. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1-discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. Lancet 357(9263): 1149–1153. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Global trends in antiretroviral resistance in treatment-naive individuals with HIV after rollout of antiretroviral treatment in resource-limited settings: A global collaborative study and meta-regression analysis. Lancet 380(9849): 1250–1258. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. From access to adherence: The challenges of antiretroviral treatment. Technical report. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Preventing antiretroviral anarchy in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 358(9279): 410–414. , , , , .
- 2000. The mathematics of infectious diseases. SIAM Rev. 42(4): 599–653.
- HHS and CDC. 2005. Treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: Maximizing adherence. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/treatment/LTBIadherence.pdf (accessed date December 8, 2009).
- 1972. Facility location under a maximum travel restriction: An example using day care facilities. Geographical Anal. 4(3): 258–266. , , .
- 1984. Rural Roads and Poverty Alleviation. Intermediate Technology Publications, London. , (eds).
- 2003. Adherence to tuberculosis treatment: Lessons from the urban setting of Delhi, India. Trop. Med. Int. Health 8(7): 625–633. , , , , , , , .
- 1962. Prices and optimal inventory policy. K. Arrow, S. Karlin, H. Scarf, eds. Studies in Applied Probability and Management Science. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA, 159–172. , .
- 2008. Modeling Infectious Diseases in Humans and Animals. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , .
- 2013. Supply chains and global health: An imperative for bringing operations management scholarship into action. Prod. Oper. Manag. 22(2): 377–381. , .
- 2007. Simple models of influenza progression within a heterogeneous population. Oper. Res. 55(3): 399–412.
- 1979. Managing sickle cell anemia in Zaire. Manage. Sci. 25(9): 922–928.
- 2009. The combined effect of modern highly active antiretroviral therapy regimens and adherence on mortality over time. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 50(5): 529–536. , , , , , ,
- 2009. Potential population health outcomes and expenditures of HIV vaccination strategies in the United States. Vaccine 27(39): 5402–5410. , , .
- 2008. Controlling co-epidemics: Analysis of HIV and tuberculosis infection dynamics. Oper. Res. 56(6): 1366–1381. , , .
- 2002. The consistency of adherence to antiretroviral therapy predicts biologic outcomes for human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons in clinical trials. Clin. Infect. Dis. 34(8): 1115–1121. , , , , .
- 2005. Quality of life in HIV-infected individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy is related to adherence. AIDS Care 17(1): 10–22. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Adherence to combination therapy enhances sustained response in genotype-1-infected patients with chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 123(4): 1061–1069. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Managing the incidence of sickle cell anemia through genetic counseling. Manage. Sci. 23(12): 1261–1272.
- 2006. Adherence to HAART: A systematic review of developed and developing nation patient-reported barriers and facilitators. PLoS Med. 3(11): 2039–2064. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Socio-economic status and adherence to tuberculosis treatment: A case–control study in a district of Nepal. Int. J. Tuberculosis Lung Dis. 9(10): 1134–1139. , , , .
- 2007. Patient adherence to tuberculosis treatment: A systematic review of qualitative research. PLoS Med. 4(7): 1230–1245. , , , , , .
- 2003. Adherence is not a barrier to successful antiretroviral therapy in South Africa. AIDS 17(9): 1369–1375. , , , .
- 2004. Multiple validated measures of adherence indicate high levels of adherence to generic HIV antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited setting. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 36(5): 1100–1102. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Treatment interruptions predict resistance in HIV-positive individuals purchasing fixed-dose combination antiretroviral therapy in Kampala, Uganda. AIDS 21(8): 965–971. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Adherence to protease inhibitor therapy and outcomes in patients with HIV infection. Ann. Int. Med. 133(1): 21–30. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Living in a walking world: Rural mobility and social equity issues in sub-Saharan Africa. World Dev. 30(2): 285–300. .
- 2000. Viral load and heterosexual transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type I. N. Engl. J. Med. 342(13): 921–929. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. A diarrhea clinic in rural Bangladesh: Influence of distance, age, and sex on attendance and diarrheal mortality. Am. J. Public Health 72(10): 1124–1128. , , , , .
- 2002. Barriers to prompt and effective treatment of malaria in northern Sri Lanka. Trop. Med. Int. Health 7(9): 744–749. , , .
- 1986. The maximum capture or “sphere of influence” location problem: Hotelling revisited on a network. J. Reg. Sci. 26(2): 343–358.
- 1969. An optimization model of tuberculosis epidemiology. Manage. Sci. 16(4): B190–B211. , , .
- 2005. Cost-effectiveness of screening for HIV in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. N. Engl. J. Med. 352(6): 570–585. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Health systems and access to antiretroviral drugs for HIV in southern Africa: Service delivery and human resources challenges. Reprod. Health Matters 14(27): 12–23. , , , , .
- 2007. Determinants of treatment adherence among smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis patients in southern Ethiopia. PLoS Med. 4(2): 0280–0287. , .
- 2011. Impact of treatment heterogeneity on drug resistance and supply chain costs. Working paper, MIT-Zaragoza Logistics Center, Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 1983. Distance and the utilization of health facilities in rural Nigeria. Soc. Sci. Med. 17(9): 563–570.
- 2010. Assessing the virologic and adherence benefits of patient-selected HIV treatment partners in a resource-limited setting. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 54(1): 85–92. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Theory and Practice of Revenue Management. Springer, New York. , .
- 2009. Transportation costs impede sustained adherence and access to HAART in a clinic population in southwestern Uganda: A qualitative study. AIDS. Behav. 14(4): 778–784. , , , , , .
- UNAIDS. 2010. UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic. Available at http://www.unaids.org/documents/20101123_GlobalReport_em.pdf (accessed date June 10, 2011).
- 1990. Patient compliance with tuberculosis treatment in Ghana: Factors influencing adherence to therapy in a rural service programme. Tubercle 71(4): 247–252. , , .
- 2006. Examining theoretic models of adherence for validity in resource-limited settings: A heuristic approach. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 43(S1): 18–22. , , .
- the Rakai Project Study Group, . 1999. Control of sexually transmitted diseases for AIDS prevention in Uganda: A randomised community trial. Lancet 353(9152): 525–535. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- WHO. 2011a. Global Plan to Stop TB. Available at http://www.stoptb.org/global/plan/ (accessed date September 2, 2011).
- WHO. 2011b. World Health Organization. Available at http://www.who.int/ (accessed date September 2, 2011).
- 2001. Optimal investment in a portfolio of HIV prevention programs. Med. Decis. Making 21(5): 391–408. , .
- 2000. Methadone maintenance and HIV prevention: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Manage. Sci. 46(8): 1015–1031. , , .