The copyright line in this article was changed on 11 August 2014 after online publication.
In-House Globalization: The Role of Globally Distributed Design and Product Architecture on Product Development Performance
Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Production and Operations Management published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Production and Operations Management Society
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Production and Operations Management
Volume 22, Issue 6, pages 1509–1523, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Gokpinar, B., Hopp, W. J. and Iravani, S. M. R. (2013), In-House Globalization: The Role of Globally Distributed Design and Product Architecture on Product Development Performance. Production and Operations Management, 22: 1509–1523. doi: 10.1111/poms.12079
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 OCT 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 2 MAY 2013 10:34AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: OCT 2011
- Manuscript Received: JAN 2010
- National Science Foundation under. Grant Numbers: DMI-0423048, DMI-024377
- 1977. Managing the Flow of Technology. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2007. The effects of outsourcing, offshoring, and distributed product development organization on coordinating the NPD process. S. Kavadias, C. Loch, eds. Handbook of New Product Development. Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann, Burlington, MA, 259–289. , , , , .
- 2004 Managing outsourced product design: The effectiveness of alternative integration mechanisms. Presented at the 2004 New Orleans, Academy of Management Conference, Louisiana. , , .
- 2005. A hierarchical modeling framework for product development planning. Prod. Oper. Manag. 14(3): 344–361. , .
- 2002. The effect of learning on the make/buy decision. Prod. Oper. Manag. 11(3): 313–339. , .
- 1998. Managing distances and differences in geographically distributed work groups. P. Hinds, S. Kiesler, eds. Distributed Work. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 167–186. , .
- 2003. Managing knowledge spillovers: The role of geographic proximity. J. A. C. Baum, O. Sorenson, eds. Geography and Strategy, Vol. 20. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 23–48.
- 2000. Design Rules: The Power of Modularity. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , .
- 2007. Geography, networks, and knowledge flow. Organ. Sci. 18(6): 955–972. ,
- 2008. Ford revamps engineering centers to speed up product development. The Wall Street Journal. Available at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120714646482283383.html (accessed date December 12, 2009).
- 2002. Ucinet for Windows: Software for Social Network Analysis. Analytic Technologies, Harvard, MA. , , .
- 1998. Internationalization of Research and Development. Springer, Berlin.
- 1995. Product development: Past research, present findings, and future directions. Acad. Manag. Rev. 20(2): 343–378. , .
- 1991. Product Development Performance: Strategy, Organization, and Management in the World Auto Industry. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA. , .
- 2004. Work groups, structural diversity, and knowledge sharing in a global organization. Manage. Sci. 50(3): 352–364.
- 1986. Organizational information requirements, media richness and structural design. Manage. Sci. 32(5): 554–571. , .
- 1998. The relational view: Cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage. Acad. Manag. Rev. 23(4): 660–679. , .
- 2006. The new practice of global product development. MIT Sloan Manag. Rev. 47(4): 22–30. , .
- 1994. A model-based method for organizing tasks in product development. Res. Eng. Design. 6(1): 1–13. , , ,
- 2007. Familiarity, complexity, and team performance in geographically distributed software development. Organ. Sci. 18(4): 613–630. , , , .
- 2004. Modularity and innovation in complex systems. Manage. Sci. 50(2): 157–173. , .
- 2003. Open source software—An evaluation. J. Syst. Softw. 66: 77–90.
- 2002. An evaluation of research on integrated product development. Manage. Sci. 48(7): 938–952. , .
- 2010. The impact of misalignment of organizational structure and product architecture on quality in complex product development. Manage. Sci. 56(3): 468–484. , , .
- 2008. Econometric Analysis, 6th edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- 2006. Knowledge gathering, team capabilities, and project performance in challenging work environments. Manage. Sci. 52(8): 1170–1184.
- 2004. How do multinational companies leverage technological competencies? Moving from single to interdependent explanations. Strateg. Manag. J. 25(8–9): 801–822. , .
- 2007. The role of globalization, time acceleration, and virtual global teams in fostering successful global product launches. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 24: 486–501. , .
- 1978. Specification tests in econometrics. Econometrica 46: 1251–1271.
- 1990. Architectural innovation: The reconfiguration of existing product technologies and the failure of established firms. Admin. Sci. Q. 35: 9–30. , .
- 2003. An empirical study of speed and communication in globally distributed software development. IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng. 29(3): 1–14. , .
- 2011. 787 dreamliner teaches Boeing costly lesson on outsourcing. Los Angeles Times. Available at: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/15/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20110215 (accessed date March 20, 2011).
- 2003. Out of sight, out of sync: Understanding conflict in distributed teams: An empirical investigation. Organ. Sci. 14(6): 615–632. , .
- 1998. Distributed Work. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , .
- 2005. Understanding conflict in geographically distributed teams: The moderating effects of shared identity, shared context, and spontaneous communication. Organ. Sci. 16: 290–307. , .
- 2007. How teamwork matters more as team member dispersion increases. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 24: 156–165. , , .
- 2007. The use of logit and probit models in strategic management research: Critical issues. Strateg. Manag. J. 28(4): 331–343.
- 1999. Current practices of engineering change management in UK manufacturing industries. Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag. 19(1), 21–37. , .
- 1988. On strategic networks. Strateg. Manag. J. 9: 31–41.
- 1999. Communication and trust in global virtual teams. Organ. Sci. 19: 791–815. , .
- 1991. Global work force 2000: The new world labor market. Harvard Bus. Rev. 69(2): 115–127.
- 1998. Understanding effects of proximity on collaboration: Implications for technologies to support remote collaborative work. P. Hinds, S. Kiesler, eds. Distributed Work. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 137–162. , , , .
- 2005. A retrospective look at production and operations management articles on new product development. Prod. Oper. Manag. 14(4): 433–441. , .
- 1995. Distance matters: Physical space and social impact. Personal. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 21(8): 795–805. , , , , .
- 2008. Transformational technologies and the creation of new work practices: Making implicit knowledge explicit in task-based offshoring. MIS Q. 32(2): 411–436. , .
- 1999. Accelerating the process of engineering change orders: Capacity and congestion effects. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 16(2): 145–159. , .
- 2001. Product-development practices that work: How internet companies build software. MIT Sloan Manag. Rev. 42(2): 75–84.
- 2006. Exploring the structure of complex software designs: An empirical study of open source and proprietary code. Manage. Sci. 52(7): 1015–1030. , , .
- 2001. An investigation of the use of global, virtual, and colocated new product development team. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 18: 110–120. , , .
- 2008. A typology of offshoring and outsourcing in electronically transmitted services. J. Oper. Manag. 26: 198–211.
- 2001. Product complexity and the supply chain. Manage. Sci. 47(1): 189–204. , .
- 2002. From buyer to integrator: The transformation of the supply-chain manager in the vertically disintegrating firm. Prod. Oper. Manag. 11(1): 75–91. , .
- 2011. Boeing may increase dividend as dreamliner deliveries start. Bloomberg. Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-23/boeing-considers-buying-back-shares-boosting-dividend-in-2012.html (accessed date: March 23, 2011).
- 1996. Modularity, felixibility and knowledge management in product and organization design. Strateg. Manag. J. 17: 63–76. , .
- 1994. Regional Advantage: Culture and Competition in Silicon Valley and Route 128. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2001. The use of modular organizational forms: An industry-level analysis. Acad. Manag. J. 44(6): 1149–1168. , .
- 2010. Nintendo delays launch of 3d console. Financial Times. Available at: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e0e2fbd8-cbb0-11df-a4f5-00144feab49a.html#axzz1PA6CXx4S (accessed date December 11, 2010).
- 2002. Factors that influence technical communication in distributed product development: An empirical study in the telecommunications industry. IEEE Trans. Eng. Manag. 49(1): 45–58. , , , , .
- 2007. Boeing's global collaboration environment pioneers groundbreaking 787 dreamliner development effort. Design News. Available at: http://www.designnews.com/article/13616-Boeing's_Global_Collaboration_Environment_Pioneers_Groundbreaking_787_Dreamliner_Development_Effort.php (accessed date January 15, 2008).
- 1990. Competing Against Time. Free Press, London. , .
- 2006. Integrating cross-border knowledge for transnational new product development. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 23: 541–555.
- 1999. Managing the process of engineering change orders: The case of the climate control system in automobile development. J. Prod. Innov. Manag. 16(2): 160–172. , .
- 1995. The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm. Res. Policy 24: 419–441.
- 2005. Beyond make-buy: Internalization and integration of design and production. Prod. Oper. Manag. 14(3): 315–330. , .
- 1998. Assessing the importance of design through product archeology. Manage. Sci. 44(3): 352–369. , .
- 2004. Offshoring without guilt. MIT Sloan Manage. Rev. 45(3): 14–16.
- 1994. Sticky information and the locus of problem solving: Implications for innovation. Manage. Sci. 40(4): 429–439.
- 1998. The Sources of Innovation. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1994. Social Network Analysis. Cambridge University Press, London. , .
- 1980. A heteroscedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroscedasticity. Econometrica 48: 817–838.