Preventing and Diagnosing Colorectal Cancer with a Limited Colonoscopy Resource
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
© 2014 Production and Operations Management Society
Production and Operations Management
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 1–20, January 2015
How to Cite
Güneş, E. D., Örmeci, E. L. and Kunduzcu, D. (2015), Preventing and Diagnosing Colorectal Cancer with a Limited Colonoscopy Resource. Production and Operations Management, 24: 1–20. doi: 10.1111/poms.12206
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 FEB 2014 12:51PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: JUN 2012
- 2012. A broader view of the liver allocation system. Oper. Res. 60(4): 757–770. , , , , .
- 2009. Operations research models for cancer screening. J. C. Hoboken, ed. Encyclopedia for Operations Research and Management Science. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ. , , .
- American Cancer Society. 2008. Colorectal Cancer Facts & Figures 2008–2010. American Cancer Society, Atlanta.
- 2009. A computer simulation model to evaluate operational performance of a colonoscopy suite. Med. Decis. Making 30(3): 380–387. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Resource allocation for epidemic control over short-time horizons. Math. Biosci. 171(1): 33–58. , .
- 2009. Optimal investment in hiv prevention programs: More is not always better. Health Care Manage. Sci. 12(1): 27–37. , .
- 2007. Risk of progression of advanced adenomas to colorectal cancer by age and sex: estimates based on 840149 screening colonoscopies. Gut 56(11): 1585–1589. , , , , , .
- 2007. Colonoscopy demand and capacity in new hampshire. Am. J. Prev. Med. 32(1): 25–31. , , , , .
- 1989. Spatial clustering of multiple hyperplastic, adenomatous, and malignant colonic polyps in individual patients. Dis. Colon Rectum 32(8): 641–652. , .
- CDC. 2010. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Data. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta.
- 2009. Supply chain coordination and the in uenza vaccination. Oper. Res. 55(6): 1493–1506. , , .
- 2013. Improving access to community-based chronic care through improved capacity allocation. Oper. Res. 61(6): 1277–1294. , , , , .
- 2008, November 15. Nine-month wait for bowel cancer test. Irish Times Available at http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1115/1226700611205.html, (accessed date September 15, 2011).
- 1987. Screening for colorectal cancer in a high-risk population. results of a mathematical model. Gastroenterology 92(3): 682–692. , , , , , , , , .
- 2014. Optimizing colonoscopy screening for colorectal cancer prevention and surveillance. Manuf. Serv. Oper. Manag. forthcoming. , , .
- 2006. Colonoscopic screening for colon cancer. Surg. Endosc. 20(2): 471–474.
- 2000. Cost-effectiveness of screening for colorectal cancer in the general population. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 284(15): 1954–1960. , , , .
- 2011. Probability model for estimating colorectal polyp progression rates. Health Care Manage. Sci. 14(1): 1–21. , , , .
- 2004. Breast cancer screening services: Trade-offs in quality, capacity, outreach, and centralization. Health Care Manage. Sci. 7(4): 291–303. , , .
- 2005. Mathematical models for the early detection and treatment of colorectal cancer. Health Care Manage. Sci. 8(2): 101–109. , .
- 2011. Seer Stat Fact Sheets: Colon and Rectum. National Cancer Institute, Available at http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html (accessed date September 5, 2013). , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Can we do better? optimization models for breast cancer screening. P. H. Pardalos, H. E. Romeijn, eds. Handbook of Optimization in Medicine, 1–28. Springer, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1999. Modeling with Compartments. Biomedware, Ann arbor, MI.
- 2002. Emergency response to a smallpox attack: The case for mass vaccination. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99(6): 10935–10940. , , .
- 2000. A decision model and cost-effectiveness analysis of colorectal cancer screening and surveillance guidelines for average-risk adults. Int. J. Technol. Assess. Health Care 16(3): 799–810. , , , , , .
- 2003, December 8. 50 and ready for colonoscopy? doctors say wait is often long. New York Times.
- 2007. Multi-level resource allocation for hiv prevention: A model for developing countries. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 180(2): 786–799. , , .
- 2003. Cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening in the average-risk population. Health Care Manage. Sci. 6(3): 165–174. , , .
- 2005. Utilization of colonoscopy in the united states: results from a national consortium. Gastrointest. Endosc. 62(6): 875–883. , , , , .
- 2011. Controlling co-epidemics: Analysis of hiv and tuberculosis infection dynamics. Oper. Res. 56(6): 1366–1381. , , .
- 2014. Clinic capacity management: Planning treatment programs that incorporate adherence. Prod. Oper. Manage. 23(1): 1–18. , .
- 1995. Incidence and recurrence of colorectal adenomas: A prospective study. Gastroenterology 108(2): 402–408. , , , et al.
- 1997. Colonoscopic miss rates of adenomas determined by back-to-back colonoscopies. Gastroenterology 112(1): 24–28. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. American college of gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 104: 739–750. , , , , , .
- 2007. Colonoscopy: The dominant and preferred colorectal cancer screening strategy 30 in the united states. Mayo Clin. Proc. 82(6): 662–664.
- 2008. Seer Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005. National Cancer Institute, Available at http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005/ (accessed date September 5, 2013). , , et al. (eds)
- 2004. Evaluation of polyp detection in relation to procedure time of screening or surveillance colonoscopy. Am. J. Gastroentrol. 99(October): 1941–1945. , , .
- 2004. Is there endoscopic capacity to provide colorectal cancer screening to the unscreened population in the united states?. Gastroenterology 127(6): 1661–1669. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cost-effectiveness of colonoscopy in screening for colorectal cancer. Ann. Intern. Med. 133(8): 573–584. , , .
- U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. 2010. 1999–2007 incidence and mortality web-based report. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute, Available at http://www.cdc.gov/uscs (accessed date September 5, 2013).
- USPSTF. 2009. Screening for colorectal cancer, topic page. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf/uspscolo.htm (accessed date September 5, 2013).
- 1991. Cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening in the elderly. Ann. Intern. Med. 115(10): 807–817. , , .
- 2008. Wait time for endoscopic evaluation at a canadian tertiary care centre: Comparison with canadian association of gastroenterology targets. Can. J. Gastroenterol. 22(7): 621–626. , , .
- 2008. Modeling the logistics of response to anthrax bioterrorism. Med. Decis. Making 28(3): 332–350. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Optimal investment in a portfolio of hiv prevention programs. Med. Decis. Making 21(5): 391–408. , .
- 2000. Methadone maintenance and hiv prevention: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Manage. Sci. 46(8): 1013–1031. , , .
- 2012. Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal cancer deaths. N. Engl. J. Med. 366(8): 687–696. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Applications of operations research to the prevention, detection, and treatment of disease. Wiley Encycl. Oper. Res. Manage. Sci. forthcoming. , , , .