Contractors’ and Agency Decisions and Policy Implications in A+B Bidding
Article first published online: 23 APR 2014
© 2014 Production and Operations Management Society
Production and Operations Management
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 159–177, January 2015
How to Cite
Gupta, D., Snir, E. M. and Chen, Y. (2015), Contractors’ and Agency Decisions and Policy Implications in A+B Bidding. Production and Operations Management, 24: 159–177. doi: 10.1111/poms.12217
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 FEB 2014 01:06PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: MAR 2013
- National Science Foundation
- University of Minnesota. Grant Number: CMMI-0653451
- 2008. Selection and Evaluation of Alternative Contracting Methods to Accelerate Project Completion—A Synthesis of Highway Practice. NCHRP Synthesis 379, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC. , .
- 2008. Properties of scoring auctions. RAND J. Econ. 39(1): 69–85. , .
- 2003. An inverse-optimization-based auction mechanism to support a multi-attribute rfq process. Manage. Sci. 49: 1529–1545. , .
- 1993. Design competition through multidimensional auctions. RAND J. Econ. 24(4): 668–680.
- 2001. Optimum planning of highway construction under A+B bidding method. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 127(4): 261–269.
- 1983. Auctions, Bidding, and Contracting: Uses and Theory. Studies in Game Theory and Mathematical Economics, The New York University Press, New York, NY. , , .
- 2004. Precautionary bidding in auctions. Econometrica 72(1): 77–92. , .
- 2003. Procurement auctions and unit-price contracts. RAND J. Econ. 34: 569–581. , .
- 2009. Impact of inaccurate engineer's estimated quantities on unit price contracts. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 135(11): 1138–1145. , .
- 1995. A+B bidding method—Hidden success story for highway construction. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 121(4): 430–437.
- 2002. Increasing competition and the winner's curse: Evidence from procurement. Rev. Econ. Stud. 69: 871–898.Direct Link:, .
- 2009. Total-cost procurement auctions: Impact of supplier's cost adjustments on auction format choice. Manage. Sci. 55: 1985–1999. , , .
- 2011. Identification and estimation of auction models with unobserved heterogeneity. Rev. Econ. Stud. 78(1): 293–327.
- 2002. Auction Theory. Academic Press, Elsevier, San Diego, CA.
- 1993. A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , .
- 2011. Procurement contracting with time incentives: Theory and evidence. Q. J. Econ. 126: 1173–1211. , .
- 2014. Moral hazard, incentive contracts and risk: evidence from procurement. Rev. Econ. Stud. Forthcoming. , .
- 2008. Estimating risk aversion from ascending and sealed-bid auctions: The case of timber auction data. J. Appl. Econometrics 23(7): 871–896. , .
- 1992. Auctions and privatization. H. Siebert, ed. Privatization. J.C.B. Mohr, Tübingen, Germany, 115–136.
- 1987. Auctions and bidding. J. Econ. Lit. XXV: 699–738. , .
- 1982. A theory of auctions and competitive bidding. Econometrica 50: 1089–1122. , .
- 2005. Models for iterative multi attribute procurement auctions. Manage. Sci. 51: 435–451. , .
- 2010. Improving transportation construction project performance: Development of a model to support the decision-making process for incentive/disincentive construction projects. MTI Report 09-07. Mineta Transportation Institute at San Jose State University, San José, CA. , .
- 2004. Setting maximum incentive for incentive/disincentive contracts for highway projects. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 130(1): 84–93. , .
- 2007. Framework model for determining incentive and disincentive amounts. Transp. Res. Rec. 2040/2007: 11–18. , .