Customized Role Play: Strategy for Development of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Competencies
Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Perspectives in Psychiatric Care
Volume 50, Issue 2, pages 132–138, April 2014
How to Cite
Hubbard, G. B. (2014), Customized Role Play: Strategy for Development of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Competencies. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 50: 132–138. doi: 10.1111/ppc.12031
- Issue online: 2 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2013
- Division of Nursing, Bureaus of Health Professions, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Grant Number: D09HP03296
- Entry level competence;
- psychiatric nurse practitioner;
- role play
To discuss the teaching/learning strategy of customized role play to enhance psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) students' entry level competency.
Customized role play facilitates application of new content, understanding of the patient's experience, and assessment of skill deficits.
New PMHNP graduates have entry level proficiency across the life span with a range of psychotherapeutic interventions.