SYMPOSIUM ON HISTORICAL RESEARCH
The Constitutional Ambitions of James Madison's Presidency
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2014
© 2014 Center for the Study of the Presidency
Presidential Studies Quarterly
Special Issue: Symposium on Historical Research
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 6–26, March 2014
How to Cite
Kleinerman, B. A. (2014), The Constitutional Ambitions of James Madison's Presidency. Presidential Studies Quarterly, 44: 6–26. doi: 10.1111/psq.12085
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2014
- 2007. Thomas Jefferson and Executive Power. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2010. Madison and Jefferson. New York: Random House. , and .
- 1979. Presidential Selection: Theory and Development. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2008. “James Madison: Brilliant Theorist, Failed Tactician.” In James Madison: Philosopher, Founder, and Statesman, eds. John R. Vile , William D. Pederson , and Frank J. Williams . Athens: Ohio University Press, 229-249. , and .
- 1992. The Effective Republic: Administration and Constitution in the Thought of Alexander Hamilton. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. .
- 2007. The Terror Presidency: Law and Judgment inside the Bush Administration. New York: Norton. .
- 1981. “The Madisonian Presidency.” In The Presidency in the Constitutional Order, eds. Joseph M. Bessette and Jeffrey Tulis . Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 31-64. , and .
- 2007. The Pacificus-Helvidius Debates of 1793-1794: Toward the Completion of the American Founding. Indianapolis, IN: Liberty Fund. , and .
- 2003. The Federalist Papers. New York: Signet Classics. , , and .
- 2012.The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict, Bicentennial Edition. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- Israel, Fred L. , ed. 1966. The State of the Union Messages of the Presidents: 1790-1966. New York: Chelsea House Publishers.
- 1989. “James Madison and the Presidency.” In Inventing the American Presidency, ed. Thomas E. Cronin . Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 347-362. .
- 2009. The Discretionary President: The Promise and Peril of Executive Power. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- 1989. “Alexander Hamilton and the Presidency.” In Inventing the American Presidency, ed. Thomas E. Cronin . Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 282-303.
- 1867. Letters and Other Writings of James Madison: Fourth President of the United States in Four Volumes. Philadelphia, PA: J. B. Lippincott. .
- 1983. The Papers of James Madison. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia. .
- 1999. The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia. .
- 1993. The President and the Parties: The Transformation of the American Party System Since the New Deal. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- 1999. Political Parties and Constitutional Government: Remaking American Democracy. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1993. Icons of Democracy: American Leaders as Heroes, Aristocrats, Dissenters, and Democrats. New York: Basic Books. .
- 1999. “Unilateral Action and Presidential Power: A Theory.” Presidential Studies Quarterly 29 (4): 850-872. , and .
- 1990. Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents: The Politics of Leadership from Roosevelt to Reagan. New York: Free Press.
- 2012. Elusive Victories: The American Presidency at War. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1999. American Compact: James Madison and the Problem of Founding. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. .
- 1990. The Presidency of James Madison. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. .
- 2000. “Washington's Proclamation of Neutrality: Executive Energy and the Paradox of Executive Power.” Political Science Reviewer 39: 121-159.
- 1981. “The War Powers Resolution and the War Powers.” In The Presidency in the Constitutional Order, eds. Joseph M. Bessette and Jeffrey Tulis . Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 115-153. .
- 2009. James Madison and the Spirit of Republican Self-Government. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2009. Presidents and Political Thought. Columbia: University of Missouri Press.
- 1997. The Politics Presidents Make: Leadership from John Adams to George Bush. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. .
- 2009. “Mission Accomplished.” Presidential Studies Quarterly 39 (4): 795-804. .
- 1976. “James Madison and the ‘Malcontents’: The Political Origins of the War of 1812.” William and Mary Quarterly 334 (October): 557-585.
- 2012. Fire along the Frontier: Great Battles of the War of 1812. Toronto, Canada: Dundurn. .
- 1987. The Rhetorical Presidency. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2009. “Judicial Review and the Incomplete Constitution: A Madisonian Perspective on the Supreme Court and the Idea of Constitutionalism.” In The Supreme Court and the Idea of Constitutionalism, eds. Steven Kautz , Arthur Melzer , Jerry Weinberger , and Richard Zinman . Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. .