AUTHOR'S NOTE: I wish to thank the archivists and research staff at the Ronald Reagan, William Jefferson Clinton, and George W. Bush presidential libraries for their assistance.
SYMPOSIUM ON HISTORICAL RESEARCH
The Rise of Sunbelt Governors: Conservative Outsiders in the White House
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2014
© 2014 Center for the Study of the Presidency
Presidential Studies Quarterly
Special Issue: Symposium on Historical Research
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 72–94, March 2014
How to Cite
Ambar, S. M. (2014), The Rise of Sunbelt Governors: Conservative Outsiders in the White House. Presidential Studies Quarterly, 44: 72–94. doi: 10.1111/psq.12088
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2014
- 2012. How Governors Built the Modern American Presidency. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2000. Reinventing Democrats: The Politics of Liberalism from Reagan to Clinton. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- 2000. The Political Economy of American Industrialization, 1877-1900. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1986. At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years, 1965-68. New York: Simon and Schuster. .
- Brinkley, Douglas , ed. 2007. The Reagan Diaries. New York: Harper Collins.
- 1997. Outsiders and Openness: In the Presidential Nominating System. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- 1999. A Charge to Keep. New York: William Morrow.
- 2010. Decision Points. New York: Crown Publishers. .
- 2004. The George W. Bush Presidency: Appraisals and Prospects. Washington, DC: CQ Press. , and .
- 2000. President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime. New York: Public Affairs. .
- 2008. Reagan's Disciple: George W. Bush's Troubled Quest for a Presidential Legacy. New York: PublicAffairs. , and .
- 1982. Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President. New York: Bantam Books. .
- 2004. My Life. New York: Random House. .
- 1914. Progressive Democracy. New York: Macmillan. .
- 2006. The American State Constitutional Tradition. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- 2003. “President Bush: Legislative Strategies.” In The George W. Bush Presidency: An Early Assessment, ed. Fred I. Greenstein . Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 138-172. , and .
- 2008. Black and Blue: African Americans, the Labor Movement, and the Decline of the Democratic Party. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2002. The Death Penalty in America: States Leading the Way. Lebanon, NH: Northeastern University Press. , , , and .
- 2003. The George W. Bush Presidency: An Early Assessment. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1959. “Why the Odds Are Against a Governor Becoming President.” Public Opinion Quarterly 23 (3): 361-370. .
- 2002. City Politics: Private Power and Public Policy. New York: Longman. , and .
- 2008. From the New Deal to the New Right: Race and the Southern Origins of Modern Conservatism. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1995. First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton. New York: Simon and Schuster. .
- 1992. The Changing American Mind: How and Why American Public Opinion Changed Between 1960 and 1980. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 2009. The Power of the Texas Governor: From Connally to Bush. Austin: University of Texas Press. .
- 1981 From Realignment to Reform: Political Change in New York State. Ithaca, NY: Cornel University Press.
- 1949. California: The Great Exception. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 1992. With Reagan: The Inside Story. Washington, DC: Regnery Gateway. .
- 2008. The State of Disunion: Regional Sources of Modern American Partisanship. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 2009. Theodore Roosevelt, the Progressive Party, and the Transformation of American Democracy. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- 2010. What Really Happened to the 1960s: How Mass Media Culture Failed American Democracy. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.
- 2008. Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America. New York: Scribner. .
- 1969. The Emerging Republican Majority. New Rochelle, NY: Arlington House. .
- 2004. In His Father's Shadow: The Transformations of George W. Bush. New York: Palgrave. .
- 1999. Roots of Reform: Farmers, Workers, and the American State, 1877-1917. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2003. The Crisis of the Old Order, 1919-1933. New York: Houghton Mifflin.
- 2003. The Encyclopedia of American Prisons. New York: Facts on File. .
- 1982. Building a New American State: The Expansion of National Administrative Capacities, 1877-1920. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1999. All Too Human: A Political Education. Boston: Little, Brown. .
- 2008. The Age of Reagan: A History, 1974-2008. New York: HarperCollins. .
- 2010. Jimmy Carter. New York: Times Books.