Simon F. Haeder is a doctoral student in political science and a master's student in agricultural and applied economics at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. His research interests include health care policy, regulatory policy making, and theories of the policy process. He is currently working on several research projects in health policy focusing on the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and insurance regulation. He is also investigating the incidence and effect of regulatory lobbying. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
You Can't Make Me Do It: State Implementation of Insurance Exchanges under the Affordable Care Act
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
© 2013 by The American Society for Public Administration
Public Administration Review
Special Issue: The Health Care Crucible Post-Reform: Challenges for Public Administration. This special issue on health care reform is sponsored by the School of Public Affairs and Administration, Rutgers University - Newark. Frank J. Thompson, Guest Editor
Volume 73, Issue s1, pages S34–S47, September/October 2013
How to Cite
Haeder, S. F. and Weimer, D. L. (2013), You Can't Make Me Do It: State Implementation of Insurance Exchanges under the Affordable Care Act. Public Administration Review, 73: S34–S47. doi: 10.1111/puar.12065
David L. Weimer is Edwin E. Witte Professor of Political Economy at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. His recent research has focused on health policy issues, especially the impact of report cards and regulation on health care quality and the governance of U.S. organ transplantation. He is past president of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, current president of the Society for Benefi t-Cost Analysis, and fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration. E-mail: email@example.com
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
- 2013. Taxation without Representation: The Illegal IRS Rule to Expand Tax Credits under the PPACA. Health-Matrix: The Journal of Law-Medicine 23(1): 119–95. , and .
- 2012. AP-GfK Poll: Most Say Obama's Health Care Law Will Be Implemented; But 7 in 10 Expect Changes. Washington Post, September 26. , and .
- Appleby, Julie. 2011. Feds Face Challenges in Launching U.S. Health Exchange. Kaiser Health News, December 19. http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2011/December/19/federal-health-insurance-exchanges-2014.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013].
- Appleby, Julie. 2012. Computer Issues May Hamper Online Insurance Markets. Kaiser Health News, November 14. http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2012/November/14/online-insurance-markets-technical-issues.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013].
- 2012. Budget-Cutters Eye Healthcare Law's Insurance Subsidies. The Hill, November 12. http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/267177-budget-cutters-eye-healthcare-laws-insurance-subsidies [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2001. Interstate Professional Associations and the Diffusion of Policy Innovations. American Politics Research 29(3): 221–45.
- 2012. Nevada Quietly Moves Ahead on Health Law. Kaiser Health News, November 13. http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2012/November/13/nevada-insurance-exchange-sandoval.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 1984. An Alternative to the Capture Theory of Regulation: The Case of State Public Utility Commissions. American Journal of Political Science 28(3): 524–58.
- 2011. Tea Party Activists Get Fired Up over Michigan Health Care Exchange Bill. Michigan Radio, November 11. http://www.michiganradio.org/post/tea-party-activists-get-fired-over-michigan-health-care-exchange-bill [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Emails Show Change in Okla. Health Exchange Policy. San Francisco Chronicle, February 9. .
- Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight. 2012. General Guidance on Federally-Facilitated Exchanges. http://cciio.cms.gov/resources/files/ffe_guidance_final_version_051612.pdf [accessed April 10, 2013].
- Congressional Budget Office (CBO). 2011. CBO's March 2011 Baseline: Health Insurance Exchanges. http://www.cbo.gov/publication/42417 [accessed April 10, 2013].
- 2011. Nevada Small Business Owners Support Key Aspect of Obama Health Care Law. Nevada News Bureau, February 28. http://www.nevadanewsbureau.com/2011/02/28/nevada-small-business-owners-support-key-aspect-of-obama-health-care-law/ [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Dear Conservative Organizations. RedState (blog), November 11. http://www.redstate.com/2012/11/11/dear-conservative-organizations/ [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Few States Set for Health Exchanges. Politico, May 21. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76596.html [accessed April 10, 2013] , and .
- 2012. Why Both Parties Should Embrace Obamacare's State Exchanges. The Week, July 18. http://theweek.com/bullpen/column/230655/why-both-parties-should-embrace-obamacares-state-exchanges [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Health Insurance Exchanges of Past and Present Offer Examples of Features That Could Attract Small-Business Customers. Health Affairs 31(2): 284–89. .
- 1983. Policy, Politics, and Public Utility Regulation. American Journal of Political Science 27(1): 86–105. , Jr.
- 2010. The Road to Somewhere: Why Health Reform Happened. Perspectives on Politics 8(3): 861–76.
- 2012. Beyond Path Dependence: Explaining Healthcare Reform and Its Consequences. Supplement 1, Policy Studies Journal 40: 65–86.
- 2006. Massachusetts Health Reform: What the Doctor Ordered. Washington Post, May 4.
- 2011. How Information Matters: Networks and Public Policy Innovation. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press. .
- 2012. Regulating Stop-Loss Coverage May Be Needed to Deter Self-Insuring Small Employers from Undermining Market Reforms. Health Affairs 31(2): 316–23.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. 2011. A Profile of Health Insurance Exchange Enrollees. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/8147.cfm [accessed April 10, 2013].
- 2012. The Legal Hurdles Obamacare Still Must Clear. Politico, November 13. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83734.html [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Conservatives Campaign against Insurance Exchanges. USA Today, May 29. .
- 2012. Obamacare Won't Be Repealed; States Now Must Act. Christian Science Monitor, November 10. .
- 2012. Large Employers See Scenarios under Which They Could Move Workers and Retirees to Exchanges. Health Affairs 31(2): 299–305.
- 1997. Health Insurance in Transition: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. Publius: The Journal of Federalism 27(2): 33–51. .
- 2007. The Other Invisible Hand: Delivering Public Services through Choice and Competition. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , Julian.
- 2012. Web-Based Insurance Exchanges Attract $1 Billion+. InformationWeek, May 21. http://www.informationweek.com/healthcare/policy/web-based-insurance-exchanges-attract-1/240000731 [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. Gov. Chris Christie Vetoes “Health Exchange” Bill Tied to Federal Health Care Reform Law. NJ.com, May 10. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/gov_chris_christie_vetoes_heal.html [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2011. Kaiser: Florida Readies Its Own Health Insurance Exchange, Leaves Out Help for Low-Income People. The Florida Independent, October 11. .
- 2011. Governor to Sign Health Exchange Bill. The Pueblo Chieftain (CO), June 1. .
- 2011. 6 States to Participate in Tech Retreats for Health Insurance Exchanges. Healthcare IT News, November 17. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/6-states-participate-tech-retreats-health-insurance-exchanges [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2011. Inside National Health Reform. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1988. The Political Economy of Regulation: The Case of Insurance. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- 2013. Obamacare Exchange Subsidy Cost Hiked by $233 Billion. Investors Business Daily, February 5. http://news.investors.com/020513-643239-obamacare-subsidy-cost-hiked-233-bil-in-new-cbo-score.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2011. Will Employers Undermine Health Care Reform by Dumping Sick Employees? Virginia Law Review 97: 125–97. , and .
- 2012. Obamacare Survives—Now What? Politico, November 7. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83473.html [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2012. ACA Opponents Scramble for a Plan B. Politico, November 8. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83609.html [accessed April 10, 2013]. , and .
- 2011. Legislators to Consider Illinois Health-Care Exchange. Cambridge (IL) Chronicle, November 4. .
- 2008. Reforms at Risk: What Happens after Major Policy Changes Are Enacted. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2010. Medicaid Everyone Can Count On: Public Choices for Equity and Efficiency. Washington, DC: AEI Press. , and .
- 2000. Early Experience with “New Federalism” in Health Insurance Regulation. Health Affairs 19(4): 7–22. , , , and .
- 1973. Implementation: How Great Expectations in Washington Are Dashed in Oakland. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Health Research Institute. 2011. Change the Channel: Health Insurance Exchanges Expand Choice and Competition. http://www.pwc.com/us/en/health-industries/publications/change-the-channel.jhtml [accessed April 10, 2013].
- 2004. Devolution and Innovation: The Adoption of State Environmental Policy Innovations by Administrative Agencies. Public Administration Review 64(2): 141–51. .
- 2013. States Will Be Pushed to Take Control of Health Exchanges. Governing: FedWatch (blog), February 8. http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwatch/gov-states-will-be-pushed-to-take-control-of-health--insurance-exchanges.html [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2011. Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. .
- StateHealthFacts.org. 2013. Integration and Upgrade of Medicaid and CHIP Eligibility Systems, January 2013. http://statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=1010&cat=4 [accessed April 12, 2013].
- 2011. Study: Employers Could Dump Sickest Employees on Public Health Care. Kaiser Health News, November 30. http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/stories/2011/november/30/employers-dump-sickest-employees-public-heath-care.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013]. .
- 2011. Beebe Seeks GOP Cover on Health Care. The Courier (Russellville, AR), October 06. .
- 2012. Editorial: Obamacare Resisters, Get with the Program. November 18. .
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). 2011. Initial Guidance to States on Exchanges. http://www.healthcare.gov/law/resources/regulations/guidance-to-states-on-exchanges.html [accessed April 10, 2013].
- Weaver, Christopher. 2011. States Turn to Foundations to Help Pay Costs of Health Overhaul. Kaiser Health News, June 5. http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2011/June/04/foundations-health-reform-costs-states.aspx [accessed April 10, 2013].
- 2011. Bipartisan Health Agreement Unravels in CO. Denver Post, March 31. .