Effects of Light, Flooding, and Weeding on Experimental Restoration of an Endangered Hawaiian Fern
Article first published online: 11 APR 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 107–116, January 2014
How to Cite
Chau, M. M. and Reyes, W. R. (2014), Effects of Light, Flooding, and Weeding on Experimental Restoration of an Endangered Hawaiian Fern. Restoration Ecology, 22: 107–116. doi: 10.1111/rec.12017
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAR 2012
- U.S. Navy Environmental Planning Division
- Tom Ranker
- 2011. Reintroduction of the endangered fern species Woodsia ilvensis to Estonia: a long-term pilot study. Biodiversity and Conservation 20:391–400.
- 2004. Experimental comparison of reintroduction methods for the endangered Echinacea laevigata (Boynton and Beadle) Blake. Natural Areas Journal 24:345–350. , and .
- 2003. PhotoGrid 1.0b Ecological Analysis of Digital Photographs. (available from www2.hawaii.edu/~cbird/PhotoGrid/home.htm) [accessed on 15 December 2009].
- 1996. Recovery plan for Marsilea villosa. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon.
- 2002. Effects of light, alien grass, and native species additions on Hawaiian dry forest restoration. Ecological Applications 12:1595–1610. , , , , , , , and .
- , , and . In review. Ecological factors influencing growth of the endangered Hawaiian fern Marsilea villosa (Marsileaceae) and implications for conservation management. American Journal of Botany.
- 2011. Long-term dynamics of biotic and abiotic resistance to exotic species invasion in restored vernal pool plant communities. Ecological Applications 21:2105–2118. , , and .
- 2005. Experimental restoration of an indigenous Hawaiian grassland after invasion by Buffel grass (Cenchrus ciliaris). Restoration Ecology 13:380–389. , and .
- 2005. A review on habitats, plant traits and vegetation of ephemeral wetlands - a global perspective. Phytocoenologia 35:533–705.
- 1996. Restoring diversity: strategies for reintroduction of endangered plants. Island Press, Washington, D.C.. , , and .
- 2011. The Rainfall Atlas of Hawai'i. (available from http://rainfall.geography.hawaii.edu). , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. How successful are plant species reintroductions? Biological Conservation 144:672–682. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Reintroduction of rare and endangered plants: common factors, questions and approaches. Australian Journal of Botany 55:362–370. , and .
- Hawai'i Drought Council, Commission on Water Resource Management. 1997–2012. (available from http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/drought/background.htm) [accessed on 20 September 2012].
- 2008. Restoration ecology: Interventionist approaches for restoring and maintaining ecosystem function in the face of rapid environmental change. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 33:39–61. , and .
- 2010. Introduced weed richness across altitudinal gradients in Hawai'i: humps, humans and water-energy dynamics. Biological Invasions 12:4019–4031. , , and .
- 1985. New records for longevity of Marsilea sporocarps. American Fern Journal 75:30–31.
- 2005. Translocation trials confirm specific factors affecting the establishment of three endangered plant species. Ecological Management and Restoration 6:61–67.
- 2012. Unique reintroduction considerations in Hawaii: case studies from a decade of rare plant restoration at the Oahu Army Natural Resource Rare Plant Program. Pages 209–226 J. Maschinski and K. E. Haskins. Plant reintroduction in a changing climate. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , , , , and .
- 2011. Individual canopy-tree species effects on their immediate understory microsite and sapling community dynamics. Biotropica 43:572–581. , , , and .
- 2009. Species invasions and the limits to restoration: learning from the New Zealand experience. Science 325:569–571.
- 2003. Hawai'i's ferns and fern allies. University of Hawai'i Press, Honolulu.
- 2007. Minimise long-term loss or maximise short-term gain? Optimal translocation strategies for threatened species. Ecological Modelling 201:67–74. , , and .
- 2001. Restoration ecology of an endangered plant species: establishment of new populations of Cirsium pitcheri. Restoration Ecology 9:60–70. , and .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2006. Base SAS® 9.1.3 Procedures Guide, Second Edition. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- 1982. Ferns and allied plants with special reference to tropical America. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 1999. Regeneration of the Mauna Kea silversword Argyroxiphium sandwicense (Asteraceae) in Hawai'i. Biological Conservation 89:61–70. , and .
- 2007. Linear mixed models: a practical guide using statistical software. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida. , , and .
- 1994. Weed management and the habitat protection of rare species - A case-study of the endemic Hawaiian fern Marsilea villosa. Biological Conservation 68:1–9.
- 2006. Population dynamics of Marsilea villosa (Marsileaceae) on O'ahu, Hawai'i. Pacific Science 60:385–402. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Ex situ breeding and reintroduction of Osmunda regalis L. in Poland. Fern Gazette 16:371–376.